Forum Member

Smile Looking to relocate

My wife and I our looking to relocate to the Sarasota area. I'm a Firefighter/EMT with heavy wildland experience and my wife is a Paramedic. What are the basic requirements in floridia for a ground floor Firefighter job?
    I'm currently an Engineer. Is it just FFT1? I know that Sarasota county requires a paramedic. Any other departments near there or maybe DOF jobs? Help would be much appreciated thanks!
    Jeff

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    My wife and I our looking to relocate to the Sarasota area. I'm a Firefighter/EMT with heavy wildland experience and my wife is a Paramedic. What are the basic requirements in floridia for a ground floor Firefighter job?
    I'm currently an Engineer. Is it just FFT1? I know that Sarasota county requires a paramedic. Any other departments near there or maybe DOF jobs? Help would be much appreciated thanks!
    Jeff
    Hey Brother, good choice, but bad timing with the move. We are all experiencing Amendment 1 cuts, or the threats thereof.
    Here is a link to the Central Florida Fire Academy. They will be able to answer all of you questions for Fire and EMS certifications. I can tell you, however, that in order to be a Career Firefighter in the State of Florida, you need to have Fire I and Fire II. Good luck Brother, and if you have any questions, let us hear em!

www.fireacademy.org
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Default So as I understand

Hey thanks,
    Yeah I was keeping a close eye on the am. #1 stuff that was going on out there. I spent some time chit chatting with a couple Sarasota County guys while I was down there. Seems like Cali and FL don't play well with others when you try to transfer certifications. I'm finishing up the stuff for my FFT1 hopefully my FFT2 not far behind. Just trying to figure out how to transfer it all.
    Jeff

Forum Member

Florida doesnt play well with many places when it comes to certs.

I live in Sarasota County now and work down in Lee County. Your wife may be able to pickup employment at Lee County EMS or Manatee County. I think they are both still hiring but for how long is unknown. Collier almost laid off 24 medics and were saved at the last minute by commisioners. Several places are letting trucks go down because of AMendment 1. Where I work we put off hiring 40 because of the Amendment 1. Depending on how property values are doing we may be able to hire a couple more this year or we may not. Sarasota is a nice area but for firefighters in which you could almost walk on a job in a month or two now its pretty tight.

Oh yeah, DOF is having problems also because of state budget shortfalls.

Forum Member

Red face Amendment #1

Yeah it seems Amend. #1 has definately been a kick to the groin for Fire/EMS down there in Flordia. It's a pity. I know those guys in Sarasota County were hitting me up just as hard about work and pay in Cali. Talking shifts and such. It's a real bummer to see the Flordia brothers and sisters talking such a big hit. Plenty of fire based medic work in Cali though if worst comes to worst for you. I can't believe how hard hit the housing market is in Flordia especially the SW coast. I really wish things were better. Looks like Naples and that area is still doing thier conglomerate testing, but who knows if they would even hire off the lists. Looks like the economy is really tanking hard. An Bush picking a fight with OPEC isn't helping. Gas is 3.75/Gallon now around here. Housing has tanked in Sacramento, CA and Reno, NV, but still remains high in the places that you would really want to live here. I wish you guys/gals in Flordia the best of luck and hopefully someday I can relocate to hurricane alley. It just seems governement can't figure out that the Guns, hoses, and IV's do what we can with little money because we like helping people and just because we are succeeding doesn't mean that you can axe the budget.

Best of luck!

Thread Information