MembersZone Subscriber

Question What came first, the quint or the pump?

I searched this but nothing was immediately evident- surprisingly.

We've recently taken delivery of our first quint- not exactly what the doctor ordered but it adds another big gun to the inventory. Prior to this, a pump was staged as a pump and a ladder staged as a ladder / elevated master stream... now, not so much.

The 75' quint will likely be the first truck on scene just by virtue of how our apparatus is split up from one side of town to the other and the available crews (composite dept).

What did you do to incorperate the quint into both roles? Longer transverse lays? Different hoseload arrangements? Or did you just treat it like a ladder that could fend for itself and stage it as such?

B.
    B. Bloggins
    AFD / FOD
    "Sometimes, what 'they' know CAN hurt you."

Forum Member

Our's predominately runs as an Engine first, Truck second. We previously ran 2 Engines (from seperate stations) on-duty. Our now former Truck (no pump, etc.) was staffed by off-duty callback FFs when needed. The Quint now runs in place of one of the Engines. Periodically it runs as a Truck on Mutual Aid calls. It has similiar hoseloads as our engines, just in a different arrangement for obvious reasons.

Is it better than a more traditional Engine & Truck operation? No, but it is an improvement over what we previously had to work with.

MembersZone Subscriber

i'm sorry you had to get a quint

need to look at why you got it and for what purposes....

To have an engine with extra capabilities or

a truck with a pump....
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

We're using a quint as a first in engine co in town, and a truck company out of town. Most of our area is residential, so we position it as a truck and work initially as an engine, with truck company work being done either by a large initial crew or members arriving pov. Preconnects are a standard 200'. Given our setbacks, its plenty.
    Its not great by any stretch, but finances won't allow a true truck, and second due is too far off to be able to get there early. Training is a huge issue, out of town especially. Its hard to think truck work when everyone wants to grab a line.

Forum Member

Why is it that nobody likes the quint? Thats all we run out of here besides the engines and grass rigs of course. Just dont understand, a quint is the best of both worlds. I have never had experience with a ladder though, someone mind filling me in on their advantages.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    Its hard to think truck work when everyone wants to grab a line.
    Grabbing a line is the LAST thing I want to do at a job!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Here, our quints are used both ways, as engines with more options, and as trucks with pumps. When at a fire, it just depends upon where command or operations needs them to be. If truck work needs to be done, quints and trucks get first crack at it, and engine crews are used for engine work, unless a lot of truck work needs to be done faster and sooner than the amount of trucks or quints on scene allows. In that case, resources are allocated to get the job done. Limiting crews to one type of work (engine work or truck work) sometimes limits what you can get done in a hurry. A quint doesn't replace a truck or an engine on a fire. When an apartment fire is dispatched, we get three engines, two trucks, among other things. One or more of those engines might be quints, but there are still two OTHER aerials going as well. Same if the quint is dispatched as an aerial; three other engines are going, still.

I don't like quints because they can't fit anywhere. Tillered tractor-drawn aerials all the way. Our broke-back trucks can make as tight a turn as our engines. The straight sticks will not, and neither will the quints.

Forum Member

A quint can be used as an engine OR a truck, but seldom both at the same time.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

A quint can be used as an engine OR a truck, but seldom both at the same time.
    That's what Squad is for!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

To add some substance to the question, our department consists of what is now two big guns, the 75' quint and a stud pump- plus a backup pump for rural calls... The division of labour as it sits now is the quint and stud pump will be on opposite sides of the tracks, with the stud being staffed by volunteers. During the days, the quint and the backup pump would respond together- while the stud would likely sit idle with no crews during the days. This has to do with a billing issue that was pretty much my introduction to fire politics years ago.

If parking up the pump where the ladder should park is one of the bad things about transverse loads then that's great- we've been doing that for years... so now that we have the quint little or no adjustments need to be made!

Okay- so now anyone have any opinion on how to make the most of a 75' ladder?

B.
    B. Bloggins
    AFD / FOD
    "Sometimes, what 'they' know CAN hurt you."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bloggins View Post
    Okay- so now anyone have any opinion on how to make the most of a 75' ladder?

B.

Add 25-30' to it?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bloggins View Post
    I searched this but nothing was immediately evident- surprisingly.

We've recently taken delivery of our first quint- not exactly what the doctor ordered but it adds another big gun to the inventory. Prior to this, a pump was staged as a pump and a ladder staged as a ladder / elevated master stream... now, not so much.

The 75' quint will likely be the first truck on scene just by virtue of how our apparatus is split up from one side of town to the other and the available crews (composite dept).

What did you do to incorperate the quint into both roles? Longer transverse lays? Different hoseload arrangements? Or did you just treat it like a ladder that could fend for itself and stage it as such?

B.

You use it as best as you can.

If it the first on the scene then you would have to use it as engine delivering water to whatever is on fire.

If it spotted correctly, the aerial can be used too.

Most departments that run Quints do this: If it is first on the scene, it starts fire attack. If the aerial is needed, the next in company can operate that or the pumps and the Quint member operate the stick. If 2nd due is and if your procedure says it operates as a truck, need itís a truck.

It does all depend on how many you have and what the departmentís objective it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 5ltretr View Post
    Why is it that nobody likes the quint? Thats all we run out of here besides the engines and grass rigs of course. Just dont understand, a quint is the best of both worlds. I have never had experience with a ladder though, someone mind filling me in on their advantages.
    I won't say I don't like it, its just that it fits an extremely small niche. Outside of that, like anything else, its the wrong tool for the job. It doesn't have all the truck stuff, it doesn't have all the engine stuff. Of course, you could add all that and have an albatross, but that doesn't fit us at all.
    Our biggest issue is maintaining two mindsets, one for engine, one for truck. Sometimes both is the crew can split. We haven't had issues where parking as a truck hurt us, but parking like an engine has.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Grabbing a line is the LAST thing I want to do at a job!
    You and me both, but its hard to get them to think past it. There are other engines on scene, somebody needs to handle ventilation.

MembersZone Subscriber

its costs a crapload
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

I won't say I don't like it, its just that it fits an extremely small niche. Outside of that, like anything else, its the wrong tool for the job. It doesn't have all the truck stuff, it doesn't have all the engine stuff. Of course, you could add all that and have an albatross, but that doesn't fit us at all.
    Our biggest issue is maintaining two mindsets, one for engine, one for truck. Sometimes both is the crew can split. We haven't had issues where parking as a truck hurt us, but parking like an engine has.
    I understand where your coming from, the way I look at it is if your closest engines are on runs, or have a delayed response, the Ladder(no water one) is first on scene once vent is done they stand around and watch the house burn. A quint on the other hand at least has some water (ours have 500 gallons). Its possible they could make a knock down on the fire with hand lines on what little water they have. Or they could catch a plug knowing that trucks are delayed and not worry about water. Or arrive on scene and ladder the building and preform normal truck duties, this saying that the engines were not delayed. Just seems that their capabilities are better than the regular ladder truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

We haven't had issues where parking as a truck hurt us, but parking like an engine has.
    This is how you make the most of a quint! Spot it for truck work and then stretch the lines if you must.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5ltretr View Post
    I understand where your coming from, the way I look at it is if your closest engines are on runs, or have a delayed response, the Ladder(no water one) is first on scene once vent is done they stand around and watch the house burn. A quint on the other hand at least has some water (ours have 500 gallons). Its possible they could make a knock down on the fire with hand lines on what little water they have. Or they could catch a plug knowing that trucks are delayed and not worry about water. Or arrive on scene and ladder the building and preform normal truck duties, this saying that the engines were not delayed. Just seems that their capabilities are better than the regular ladder truck.
    Well, if there is no engine on scene the truck shouldnt be venting anyway. Vent as you go for search I can see. But the typical venting of the stucture shouldnt be started until you have a charged hoseline.

500 gallons isnt "little water" it can handle more than most think.

Quints suck, they are good for one thing and one thing only...

LIMITING MANPOWER
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Trucks first and then engines here in Cedar Park, Texas. Our SOGs state that we'll run them as trucks unless the following happens:

Dumpster fires
    Car fires
    Delayed respones by pumpers

Btw, we have two of them. A 75' stick and a 100' platform.

Ideas/comments?

Forum Member

We use our 65Ft Quint as a ladder 80% of the time. It's also our 2nd due piece.

The engine rolls first on everything with the exception of medicals and MVC's, in which case it rolls 2nd, after the rescue.

Since we are a Vollie Dept. with town and rural coverage, the Quint rolls as an engine in the event the engine is out of town on a run, or out of service, until mutual aid can arrive.

We also use it as our mutual aid piece, as it can be used however it's needed.

Thread Information