Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Cairns Defender Visor - Opinion Please

I am getting ready to upgrade my Cairns helmet with a defender visor, and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as to which visor I should select. Cairns offers CLEAR, SMOKE, TUFFSHIELD, and MIRROR. I am inclined to select the clear. My reasoning is that if you are using the visor at night or in a dark building it may be more difficult to see if you have the smoke or mirror visor. I would really like some input from people who already own the defender. Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

The clear is the base model visor, the tuff shield is still clear but is a heavier duty material.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Try...

here

or

here

or

here

or perhaps

here.

But whatever you, don't buy into the argument that it will hurt your nose. No chance in hell. Ok maybe the chance of a snowball's.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you haven't priced them yet you'll be shocked at the "upgrade" price. Might as well buy an entirely new lid w/visor.

One on the best new FF equipment ideas to come around in some time. I'd nominate the Protech8 as another.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the amber / tuff shield , I love it at night, its kind of like shooting glasees with the same effect with the amber. Take some very fine sand paper and sand the nose area. the factory needs to smooth out the nose. work the visors a while before using, they stick and then slam your nose if not worked in.
    If you wear glasses store the ratchet in the full open; put helmet on flip down visor then ratchet to snug fit. I've had no problems with wearing my glasses with them.
    The defender is what I'll get now on instead of goggles. The visor "goggles" store up in the helmet so your " goggles" will not be melted next time you go to use them off your helmet.

Forum Member

I have to 1044 with the tuff shield also. I have to say I love it and the tuff shield has a higher heat rateing. If you look I beleive the other shields do not meet NFPA standards if you care about that.

Forum Member

Here is the official information on the defenders.
    http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/FireH...enderVisor.pdf
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I've have the 1044 Defender for over a year now... As an Explorer, the times I've used the shield, I can pretty much say that if I had to use the shield multiple times a day, everyday, it would get annoying. It doesn't fog up, which is a good thing, but I've heard that some people's do. It's just the way the shield fits... I'm not completely satisfied with it. It is handy, don't get me wrong... They could have spent some more time designing it better -- Can't please everyone and everyone is different, though.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    If you haven't priced them yet you'll be shocked at the "upgrade" price. Might as well buy an entirely new lid w/visor.

One on the best new FF equipment ideas to come around in some time. I'd nominate the Protech8 as another.
    I'm intrigued, but can you elaborate on the pricing? Or can anyone talk about the upgrade pricing?

Thanks
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

The upgrade is about $120.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    The upgrade is about $120.
    That's not so bad, I spent that on a pair of sunglasses once.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    That's not so bad, I spent that on a pair of sunglasses once.
    It is when you can buy the whole helmet for under $200
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I thank everyone for their help, the people who do own the defender - what color shield do you have? What color would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It is when you can buy the whole helmet for under $200
    True, but I only need 1 helmet and the FD provides that....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PinellasFF View Post
    I thank everyone for their help, the people who do own the defender - what color shield do you have? What color would you recommend?
    Mine came with amber. I used it for 8 months, then a local department bought either Defenders for the whole department or for just the officers so I traded shields with a lieutenant who wasn't going to be using his because he wears prescription glasses... So now it's clear. I prefer the clear over amber... It was hard to see at night with the amber for me.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I have the amber tuff sheild. It cuts down on the glare during the day and works alot like shooting glasses during the night. It helps alot when your trying to work on the side of the road and you get headlights comming at you.

MembersZone Subscriber

i actually prefer safety glasses to using the defenders..mine have fogged up a few times and you have to take your helmet off to clean them...which is no good if you're overhauling or something..just my .02

Forum Member

My dept has both clear and the amber tuff-shield.

Overall, preference is for the amber

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBradley15 View Post
    i actually prefer safety glasses to using the defenders..mine have fogged up a few times and you have to take your helmet off to clean them...which is no good if you're overhauling or something..just my .02
    Contact MSA on the fogging problem. The visor was designed not to fog, but for those that do experience fogging MSA does provide a spray or wipe (can't remember which) that is an anti-fogging agent.

Thread Information