Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current Trends

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Current Trends

What are some current trends people have seen with Rapid Intervention Teams?

Dave

None.

We don't use them here.

Every one is a Engine/Truck/RIT.

We have Firefighters.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

In the case of my department, we have mutual aid based RIT teams, and being RIT for a town two towns over usually means the fire is knocked down before we get there. But sometimes its a big one and we do actually get there and everything. But its really not used, but its still a really good idea to have it.

We use a mutual aid department for ours too. They are only a couple of miles up the road. We are the RIT team for them when called.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    None.

We don't use them here.

Every one is a Engine/Truck/RIT.

We have Firefighters.
    Same here.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile thanks for the replies

thanks for the replies. I was looking for more thoughts are what types of new ideas or equipment or theories people have. I am doing a research paper and would welcome some thoughts.

Thanks

Dave

Forum Member

I dont know if it is a trend, but it should be. Basics,Basics,Basics...firefig hter removal should be as simple as possible. Stop trying to overthink it. I have unfortunatly been involved in a few real removals, and they all were done with very, very basic techniques. Anyone who thinks they are going to rig up elaborate systems, when the pressure is on, in a real Mayday situation is fooling themselves. Work on making it simple, with as little equipment as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

What Matty said. Everyone wants to get these cool new tools or use fancy rigging systems. The absolute basics work best because they should be ingrained in you from your training. You should be able to tie a knot from muscle memory, not having to look at it and pay attention to how your are doing it. The biggest challenge would probably be if the FF is trapped under a large amount of debris. Lots of training, even if it is just kitchen table talking, it still puts ideas in your head, so if it happens, you won't be *****ting down both pant legs.

STAY SAFE
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    What Matty said. Everyone wants to get these cool new tools or use fancy rigging systems. The absolute basics work best because they should be ingrained in you from your training. You should be able to tie a knot from muscle memory, not having to look at it and pay attention to how your are doing it. The biggest challenge would probably be if the FF is trapped under a large amount of debris. Lots of training, even if it is just kitchen table talking, it still puts ideas in your head, so if it happens, you won't be *****ting down both pant legs.

STAY SAFE

Well...I can tell you, you will still be *****ting down your pant legs anyway....which is exactly why it should be as simple as possible. As you said, fancy rigging systems and all the other overthought crap just aint going to happen. Drilling is obviously great....but it is much easier than an actual event.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    firefighter removal should be as simple as possible.......

Anyone who thinks they are going to rig up elaborate systems, when the pressure is on, in a real Mayday situation is fooling themselves. Work on making it simple, with as little equipment as possible

Drilling is obviously great....but it is much easier than an actual event
    Although I have no real life experience with RITs, I can't agree more with Matty's posts. At RIT training that I have attended, I was just trying to imagine a real life incident in which a firefighter needed rescue, that was going to provide the situation in which we were training for. We had elaborate hauling systems in which I could never see being effective. Whatever you use, its gotta be simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by resQengine View Post
    Although I have no real life experience with RITs, I can't agree more with Matty's posts. At RIT training that I have attended, I was just trying to imagine a real life incident in which a firefighter needed rescue, that was going to provide the situation in which we were training for. We had elaborate hauling systems in which I could never see being effective. Whatever you use, its gotta be simple.
    I've always trained with one tool and whatever is in your pockets. IMO a 2-3 man team + tools (including a TIC) should be nearly unstoppable with some experience.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Well, out department's (being all of the volunteer department's in our county, whom we all run mutual aid to each other) usually do not set up a dedicated RIT team during foreground operations. the two main reasons being we usually do not have the resources to have a team just sitting there when we could be using them to actually put the fire out, and we do not have many people who have actually gone to a RIT class on how to properly go in a bring a downed firefighter out in situations such as collapse. we do train on how to rescue individuals from dwellings, but we have never really trained on how to deal with a structural collapse with entrapment. But we are about to have county wide training soon and I think that is one of the issues being brought up.

MembersZone Subscriber

the dept i'm on is all training in RIT (for the most part) and we run RIT for a few surrounding towns, and use mutual aid for ours

Thread Information