Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Outrigger placement 75' ladder

I am trying to obtain some feedback in regard to outrigger placement for ladder trucks. I currently am assigned to drive a Seagrave marauder dual axle 75' quint. Truck weighs about 66,000 lbs, 37'-6" long. My crew and I were scoping out some of the higher buildings in our resonse area. We found that a 75' ladder + the setbacks that some of these buildings have = No reach. The crew wants me to put the ladder truck's rear tires on the concrete sidewalk and place the outriggers in the grass. Of course these guys are Paramedics and are not engineers. Since I refuse to be bullied and I want to be the best and safest Engineer I can be, I basically told them it would be a cold day in hell before I did something like that.

The question is how many of you have been asked to do this? Done this? Have been successful? Sank into the grass and gotten in danger? Tipped the ladder truck over? Etc....

Forum Member

Our department runs a 100' TDA in a very urban area. We have found it necessary in many situations to position the vehicle off road, and sometimes not in the best of conditions i.e aerial off the side low elevation with full extension. We have had no problems as long as the driver takes care in setting the rig up right and paying attention to how the truck during the entire evolution. IMO it is not the best way to set the truck up however circumstance dictates action, and sometimes there is no other option available.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been on the end of a 75 ft quint set up in a front lawn spraying water into a building.

There is some judgement that comes into play...however if one takes the proper precautions and uses those plates on the underside of the rig...setting up in a vacant lot or a front lawn shouldn't be an issue (that is assuming you don't have septic tanks to deal with)

FTM-PTB

I know of several departments that regularly "lawn" their rigs to get in good position... Even to the point of driving on the grass around to the back of garden apartments to be able to place the aerial to the rear. As long as the ground is solid enough to handle the weight... I don't see the issue. BTW, I have seen some ladder trucks pulled off of lawns after being stuck. But, if it is required to get the ladder placed to perform a rescue then so be it. I think the chief would agree that a life is worth much more than the tow truck bill.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what the Ironsman is referring too
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    This is what the Ironsman is referring too
    The truck is "lawned", the chassis is not level, and the rig is shortjacked!!! You sir are going straight to H3LL!!!
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    The truck is "lawned", the chassis is not level, and the rig is shortjacked!!! You sir are going straight to H3LL!!!

The real funny part is that I belive, and the Barron will correct me if I am wrong, the rig is still with-in the Metz operating design parameters.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

For extra measure, we carry a few pieces of 6x6 cribbing to toss under the jack plates. I agree as well as everyone else states, as long as you use the plates and some better judgement, there's nothing wrong with beaching the rig and working the aerial. It's alot easier then trying to stretch the ladder!
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Thread Information