Forum Member

Default Project Graduation

I was recently approached by my fire chief, and asked to see if I can set up a "Project Graduation" for the end of the school year. This involves a staged crash in front of the school building, and the FD, PD and EMS response and extrication of victims to show the students the dangers of drinking and driving (since this all happens around Prom/Graduation time).

Just looking to see if anyone has done this or something similar and if they have any suggestions or tips for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Project Grad

PT PL Beach - we are thinking of the same thing here - Woodbridge.
    have some ideas - drop me a pm

Forum Member

We did one last year. It was a great success. It will probably happen about once every four years so the kids don't get tired of it. What all do you want to know?

Forum Member

We do them periodically. Google "Mock Crash" and you'll get dozens of hits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    I was recently approached by my fire chief, and asked to see if I can set up a "Project Graduation" for the end of the school year. This involves a staged crash in front of the school building, and the FD, PD and EMS response and extrication of victims to show the students the dangers of drinking and driving (since this all happens around Prom/Graduation time).

Just looking to see if anyone has done this or something similar and if they have any suggestions or tips for me.
    We do one every couple of years. Groups we involve are our FD/EMS, ARCH Medical Helicopter, local and county PD, Coroner, the school, and local Funeral Home. We make arrangements with a salvage yard and tow company for vehicles and usually stage a multi-vehicle accident with entrapment and DOA's. Have even used tractor-trailers in the past. Students volunteer (liability waiver signed) as patients. We set up sound system and have a narrator describe what's going on. After the "mock crash" a funeral service is held in the school. Typically have a pre-incident meeting with as many participating representatives as possible and diagram the scenario so everyone is on the same page. We also video each event so it is available to the school during the off-years we don't stage an accident.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Research The "shattered Dreams" Program
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

makes good girls go bad

YES. I am the 911 re enactment coordinator for Operation NOW.
    http://operation-now.org/
    Contact me through PMs or email of you need help, little Brother
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

We hold this event at our High School every two years.

FD, PD, EMS, Prosecutors Officer Fatal Accident Unit

We have found over the years that the key is not to make it a big "show," so multiple pieces of apparatus are not really necessary.

Another good idea is to pre-cut the car in some places so your extrication operations dont take too long during the event.

You will need a couple student volunteers to play drivers in the vehicles.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

The Uni. of New Haven Fire Science Club used to (maybe still does, I graduated in 97) do them on campus and at the local HS -- we called them docu-dramas. Campus police, the local FD, and I believe the ME were involved. We even used fake blood (though if one has sensitive skin, test first!) and other theater make-up.

You can buy cheap clothing (i.e. "prom attire") at thift stores to make it look more real.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

I was involved with one at the high school here in town this past year. We had two fire departments there (us and a mutal aid neighbor), three PD (our town, neighboring town, and Ohio State Highway Patrol), medevac bird (LifeFlight), and a local funeral home.

I too, was approached by my school to do a similar event this year and got alot of the information from the Officer who set up the above mentioned event. I got a good sized stack of paper that she had accumulated from area schools and departments that had done mock crashes.

Ok, now a little background on the demo that I participated in. I was not a victim as I do not go to that school, I responded on the apparatus. We had a two car staged MVA. Vehicle 1- Driver was OVI/DUI ....passenger was Priority 1 and partially ejected on the hood of the vehicle. Vehicle 2- Driver- Priority 2, Passsenger- DOA, Rear seat passenger- Priority 1 (Life Flighted)

Total response to the "incident" was:

2 Engines, 1 Rescue/Engine, 2 Medic Units, 1 Chief, 3 Police Units, 1 MEDEVAC bird

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

..more....

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

more.........

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Thanks guys. Just looking for more ideas to see if we can incorporate it into this years, or any tips suggestions to make things run smoother and as flawless as possible.

What we did last time (2 years ago I believe it was) was to stage a one car crash in front of the school. We had 2 victims I belive, with the driver "drunk" and the passenger DOA. The first aid and fire department roll in, and cut the victims out of the car, acting as if it were a normal call, even having the 2nd truck act as Engine 1, and stretch a safety line and charge it. The police then arrest the driver, and the FA take the passenger away in a body bag.

That's about as far as the FD is involved in it, but normally there are also drunk driving assemblies, but that's not my area.

Forum Member

we do this for the high school every year of the seniors
    there are multiple victims, 1 DOA and 1 drunk who is arrested
    after they watch the extrication they go to the auditorium and watch a mock memorial service for the dead student, usually this student is very well known and liked, such as the class president
    the memorial service is where we really get them, we even get the parents of the deseased student in on it
    one thing to be careful of, is that if you make it as real as we make it seem then there is the actual emotions that go along with having a friend die, students actually cry even though it is all staged
    it is VERY succesful every year
    send me an email if you want more info or pics, i'll try to get ahold of some

MembersZone Subscriber

We do this every year as well around grad time. It's held in the school parking lot for the grade 12 class only.
    Our scenario is a single MVC with 1 DOA, and 1 pt for EMS and 1 driver arrested by RCMP. After the extrication we have a "presentation" in the theater in the school. We have RCMP, EMS and FD all discuss what the difficulties are in responding to calls like this one in a small town like ours. We then have the funeral home roll out a coffin and the mother of the deceased talks about having her husband go into her daughter closet to get her grad dress to be buried in etc. The injured passenger talks of her emotions as she is now a wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. The uninjured driver talks of losing her friend, injuring her other friend but also of the emotional and financial losses to her parents and entire family due to inpaired driving charges and future civil lawsuits.
    The local school was VERY disappointed the one year that we were unable to do the presentation because they have reported great success in the past.

Forum Member

Default Look to Fire Engineering...

Jersey Shore brother,
    Look at February 2008 issue of FE (p. 85). THey have an article about a project called "Every 15 Minutes." There is good detail, and some agencies go all-out in providing this program over a 2-day period.

Forum Member

I agree with FF455 -- remember its not a showcase for the FD , it will have just as much impact with a releatively simple extraction as a complex one . We usually do it before prom night.We also do some minor prework with safety in mind.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I agree with FF455 -- remember its not a showcase for the FD , it will have just as much impact with a releatively simple extraction as a complex one . We usually do it before prom night.We also do some minor prework with safety in mind.
    While not a showcase, a more complicated wreck (IMHO) has more impact on the students. ( I can attest to both the perspective of a high school student and a member of the department) When they see how bad a wreck really can be and that it involves more than just themselves but numerous other people, it really does have a difference. At least it did here cause I heard my friends talking about it for weeks, even months afterwards. Many people also could not compliment us enough as they said that it looked like we were very professional and that they would be glad knowing that if anything happened they knew that we would be responding to help. (what we didnt tell them was that we arent really all that smart so we just stayed in a holiday inn express the night before! )

Thread Information