Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default fairfax county virgina

im looking to move down to the area, next year. i currently live in pa, and have firefighter 1 certificates and cpr/ first aid traing and aed training. what should/ can i do to prepare myself for a job.what kinda classes do i need, or should i take. im making a preety good living right now doing what i do, but i feel its time for a carrer change being 24 id really like to to be in the fire service the rest of my life.

MembersZone Subscriber

first thing is to test with fairfax, and then enroll with a paramedic program while doing your recruitment process.(its tedious and long, 6 months or more) Goodluck

and refer to this thread for more info:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77487
    Last edited by jklm128; 02-28-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Forum Member

The PA certs most likely will not matter. I have have the same certs as well. If you are looking to go career, apply and begin the hiring process as soon as possible. You can also check out the Fairfax thread as well.
    Last edited by mpullen32; 02-28-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Only cert that can help you with FFX is to be a Paramedic. Otherwise, just go test and get in shape for CPAT and hopefully the academy! Good Luck!!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    first thing is to test with fairfax, and then enroll with a paramedic program while doing your recruitment process.
    I beg to differ. There are a number of things that I recommend that someone with FF 1 and First Aid do to get hired... going to paramedic school is NOT one of them.

A couple pieces of advice for those thinking about going to ALS school:
    - Are you an experienced EMT? If you do not have a good base of knowledge to build on, your 'ALS Structure' will collapse. Those who rush themselves from flipping burgers to Paramedic are the ones who I find starting 2 large bore IV's instead of applying direct pressure to bleeding wounds, intubating before bagging and generally getting the Gold (patch) Fever.
    - Are you going to ALS school just to get hired by x Fire Department? Save your money. There are enough questionable ALS providers in the area/United States; we don't need any more, thanks. If you have an interest in Prehospital Emergency Medicine and want to further yourself, go to ALS school. Personally, I would much rather have one conscientious EMT than a whole task force of questionable "I did it to get the job" ALS providers.

Good luck to ya though, Trackhoe. Apply for Fairfax County, get your EMT, get some experience under your belt and, if, after you get some experience under your belt, you want to advance, absolutely go to Paramedic school. Don't stop at Intermediate, go all the way. In a major suburb of DC like Fairfax County, it is important to not only know the ALS skills but why you do them and their effects on other systems both intended and unintended. Paramedic certification will help...

Cheers,
    JK
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks guys for the help, ive been doing some research on this site and i see that the dui i had little over a year ago. im not proud of it and ill admit that i did wrong, and needless to say it has really opened up eyes about life but im gunna continue to work hard and see what comes about in the next year or so. i appreciate all the help. thamks again

Kobersteen, was wondering which station you ran with, i know a guy that runs with Herndon 404, i beleive hes a Lt. His father and my father are good friends they used to volunter up here in a small rural area of Pennsylvannia.

FossilMedic

Default Paramedics are preferentially offered employment

Eek!

I may have to disagree with my distinguished Brother Kobersteen.

First a couple of items to consider:

1) It takes 6 to 12 months to work through the application process for Fairfax (and most of the other jurisdictions)

2) You must be physically fit to ace the CPAT test

3) Your Pennsylvania certifications have no influence on the hiring process

Suggestion One:

If you want to work in the DC area as a career firefighter, apply to all of the jurisdictions: Alexandria City, Fairfax City, Arlington County, Prince William County, Loudoun County and Fairfax County. On the Maryland side, do not forget Montgomery County (similar to Fairfax in structure and resources), Prince George's County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County and Baltimore County.

Want some gritty city experience? Washington DC and Baltimore City

Suggestion Two:

Contact the recruitment offices and see what impact your DUI has on your eligibility. This link describes the Virginia Office of EMS regulation: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+12VAC5-31-910

Suggestion Three:

I would not move until you accept a job. Local governments are seeing a reduction in tax revenues like the 1992 recession. That means hiring freezes even for a few fire departments. There will be a fewer number of recruit schools.

Suggestion Four:

If you were just getting out of high school I would strongly recommend that you attend a community college paramedic program. Since you are 24 and in the work force, the dynamics are different.

Most of the DC area departments continue to preferentially consider candidates with EMT-Paramedic certification, National Registry being the gold card.

Brother K's ability to move from DC to Houston to Fairfax was due, in part, to his paramedic certification.
    Last edited by MikeWard; 03-01-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add DUI info

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    I may have to disagree with my distinguished Brother Kobersteen.
    I'm not seeing where we disagree... I see where you are more eloquent (like that is a surprise! ), but not disagreeing.

Brother K's ability to move from DC to Houston to Fairfax was due, in part, to his paramedic certification.
    Actually, (takes a deep breath) Fairfax County volunteer to Houston, Texas (with a side-stint on an ambulance and chase car in Clear Lake) to DC to Fairfax County paid. NONE of that would have been possible without my P card.

I agree with all of Ward's suggestions though... like he needs my validation!

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    ... like he needs my validation!
    More than you know

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

Look at the Korbster and Ward taking care of business
    Local 2068

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question for you guys that live in northern Virginia. I will be moving there in the next few months and want to get on a volunteer department. I will be moving to the Sterling area in Loudon Co. I have been an EMT-B for two years now and would like to get my EMT-P. Problem is I have a nine to five job and could only attend classes at night. Are there any places in Loudon or Fairfax Co. that offer night classes? Also, if I got on with a volunteer service would they offer training or to pay for the classes? I would like to get on with a volunteer department and then apply for a career job with Fairfax, Loudon, D.C., Arlington, or any other large department after I get my EMT-P. Thanks for the help guys.

Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22 View Post
    I have a question for you guys that live in northern Virginia. I will be moving there in the next few months and want to get on a volunteer department. I will be moving to the Sterling area in Loudon Co. I have been an EMT-B for two years now and would like to get my EMT-P. Problem is I have a nine to five job and could only attend classes at night. Are there any places in Loudon or Fairfax Co. that offer night classes? Also, if I got on with a volunteer service would they offer training or to pay for the classes? I would like to get on with a volunteer department and then apply for a career job with Fairfax, Loudon, D.C., Arlington, or any other large department after I get my EMT-P. Thanks for the help guys.

Mack
    Training for all the NoVA volunteer departments that I know of, are at night and on the weekends. A Medic Cert is the only cert that will help with getting on any of the area departments. Don't limit yourself to one side of the river. With Virginia being a Right to Work state, early in your career you will do better in Montgomery County, MD where they have a much stronger union.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22
    I would like to get on with a volunteer department and then apply for a career job with Fairfax, Loudon, D.C., Arlington, or any other large department after I get my EMT-P.
    Why not apply before you get your P? You never know, you might get lucky. Get paid to go to P school.

The paramedic program I went to was excellent. It was through the Washington Hospital Center in DC. Well worth the time.

Look here: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79229

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    With Virginia being a Right to Work state, early in your career you will do better in Montgomery County, MD where they have a much stronger union.
    It is interesting that you say that when the Local in Fairfax County has gotten more for it's membership than many locals elsewhere in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    Why not apply before you get your P? You never know, you might get lucky. Get paid to go to P school.

The paramedic program I went to was excellent. It was through the Washington Hospital Center in DC. Well worth the time.

Look here: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79229

It is interesting that you say that when the Local in Fairfax County has gotten more for it's membership than many locals elsewhere in the U.S.
    Sorry, should have stated it better. For working under the laws/rules of Right to Work the Fairfax Local is VERY strong. But for an individual in his early years, the lack of Right to Work in Maryland is going to put more OT money in a kid's pockets and provide more value to leave time.

Personally I think that Right to Work is good in the aggrigate, but for the individual at the begining of a career, it will cost them a little.

TOtally agree with you on applying to get on the job as soon as you can. SOme of the area departments will not only cover the tuition for Medic School, but will pay you for your time while doing it! Just make sure you pass the first or second time around, eventually they cut you off.
    -Big Russ

Thread Information