Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Chalk One Up For Dad

Angry father e-mailed defendant, court hears at Internet luring trial

Richard Watts, Times Colonist Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A father who found computer evidence his pre-teen daughter had been talking dirty online with a man jumped online himself to send his own message, court heard yesterday.

"It probably wasn't my finest moment," said the father, whose name cannot be published to protect the identity of his daughter. "I said something about an effing loser trying to get my daughter to perform an act," said the man in B.C. Supreme Court in Victoria.

He was testifying in the trial of James Bruce Colley, charged with Internet luring and making an invitation to engage in sexual touching.

Colley was arrested in early 2006 at the age of 34. The charges, however, relate to an online incident in November 2005, involving a then 12-year-old girl.

Transcripts of the online conversation, read into evidence in court yesterday, show the man and the girl were both aware of the difference in their ages.

The man writes to the girl that she is a "dirty little thing" and offers to meet her in person. But the girl reminds him of the 22 years difference in their ages and later remarks she can't because it's a "school night."

Also testifying yesterday was the girl's mother, who said the daughter had become an avid computer user by 2005. She would regularly talk on the phone, type into the computer and listen to music, all at the same time.

The household computer was kept in the family room so the parents could watch what their children were doing.

The mother also made sure her daughter's online chats were recorded. She would read them, every following day, checking to see what her daughter was doing.

"I think we were pretty strict on it (the computer)," said the woman.

When she found the data with its references to various sexual acts, she called police and also showed her husband.

Her husband had the idea of going online, using the daughter's computer ID, to see if the man could be contacted. When the man proved to be there, the father delivered his message.

The mother recalled her husband also told the man to never try it again and called him a "child molester."

The trial, with Justice Victoria Gray sitting without a jury, continues.

rwatts@tc.canwest.com

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Forum Member

Way to go Dad!
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Thread Information