Forum Member

Default Junior Fire Department

I just recently took over the Fire Prevention at a small vol/paid dept. I was challenged with starting a JR dept. Anyone can help me with some training ideas and rules.

Thanks
    LFD625

Forum Member

well whats worked well, and gotten a lot of participation is all hands on training. while many departments do the class room work, we do soley hands on training. at the state competitions for jr. firefighting, the juniors in our department are constantly winning everything. for instence this year, they won all but one event they entered in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD625 View Post
    I just recently took over the Fire Prevention at a small vol/paid dept. I was challenged with starting a JR dept. Anyone can help me with some training ideas and rules.

Thanks
    LFD625
    Shoot me an email..........I got TONS of info that would help you out.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

at my dept. we do multiple diff trainings we also go to camps and competitions
    make sure you bring up ride alongs to ur committee and take a vote cause all the juniors where im a junior love them (although there may not be any more ride alongs this year, new capt.) in the past it was 1 junior per appauratus pending officers decicion also u must be 13 or older to ride along must stay in appaurataus also we have meetings twice a month we have ranks from captain to regular member we hold elections every year we have our own (retired/old) gear and were getting lockers soon and every body is assigned gear andwe have our own rescue tools . we also cut up cars for training assist regular meembers in the hose tests and we visit the fire academy and go to camp like things

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD625 View Post

Thanks
    LFD625
    hey boss, two things:

1) I know its hard starting up a jr. dept. i did it myself, and it was dreadful. i would suggest hands-on training for 2 reasons, one, it will keep the kids interested, and two, it will help familiarize themselves with the equipment. for example, do one drill of a "search" to show them how to. do the next one of how to use and check a scott pack, and the one after that, have them do a small room search on air. also, a good idea to do is it set up meetings and assign a chief, captain and lieutenant. have them run meetings, with your assistance of course, so they can learn what its actually like to be involved.

2) I dont know what your state is like with allowing juniors to ride along, but my state is rather strict. make sure you get all the insurance and policy stuff out of the way before you even start attaining members. and also, for rules, set up some rules to prevent them from their school grades dropping, some ideas we used were: no calls after 10pm on school nights, NEVER leave school for a call, keep up a 2.5 GPA to maintain a member of the jr dept. stuff like that. i dont know how you guys would run it, but just some ideas. feel free to email me if youve got any questions.
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

Forum Member

The NVFC has a section on Jr Firefighter programs on their website with sample SOP/SOG.

They also have program where you register your Jr Program with them and your Jr's become eligible to compete for a college scholarship.

Forum Member

Thank yall for your ideas. If anyone has any sample forms or anything send me an e-mail.

scampo@townoflivingston.com

LFD625

Quote Originally Posted by nm1fdhzmat View Post
    hey boss, two things:

1) I know its hard starting up a jr. dept. i did it myself, and it was dreadful. i would suggest hands-on training for 2 reasons, one, it will keep the kids interested, and two, it will help familiarize themselves with the equipment. for example, do one drill of a "search" to show them how to. do the next one of how to use and check a scott pack, and the one after that, have them do a small room search on air. also, a good idea to do is it set up meetings and assign a chief, captain and lieutenant. have them run meetings, with your assistance of course, so they can learn what its actually like to be involved.

2) I dont know what your state is like with allowing juniors to ride along, but my state is rather strict. make sure you get all the insurance and policy stuff out of the way before you even start attaining members. and also, for rules, set up some rules to prevent them from their school grades dropping, some ideas we used were: no calls after 10pm on school nights, NEVER leave school for a call, keep up a 2.5 GPA to maintain a member of the jr dept. stuff like that. i dont know how you guys would run it, but just some ideas. feel free to email me if youve got any questions.

Im also a junior FF on the same town as nm1fdhzmat what he said is great but what were learning now is that the juniors are getting tired of the same or "boring" drills. Just make sure you change it up every so often to keep them entertained in a sense and to keep their numbers strong.

Thread Information