Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reenlist or GS

Default Reenlist or GS

(sorry if this is a repost, i did not see it post the first time after i submitted it)

So...I am supposed to be getting out in a few months, done my applying and all that good stuff, and im starting to get nervous, not about the job process (for which iv been toiling for months now) but how many GS firefighters out there wish they had stayed enlisted? I mean comparing pay, beniefts, retirement, and all other perks, what am I really better off doing, up until this point i was sure i wanted to transition to the GS system, mabey its just the nervousness of getting out soon, but anyone that has transitioned can give me some advice as to whether they would have stayed active or perfer the GS side, would definatly be extremely helpful. Thank you

P.S. AF firefighter (did not elaborate in the message)

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasfirerescue View Post
    (sorry if this is a repost, i did not see it post the first time after i submitted it)

So...I am supposed to be getting out in a few months, done my applying and all that good stuff, and im starting to get nervous, not about the job process (for which iv been toiling for months now) but how many GS firefighters out there wish they had stayed enlisted? I mean comparing pay, beniefts, retirement, and all other perks, what am I really better off doing, up until this point i was sure i wanted to transition to the GS system, mabey its just the nervousness of getting out soon, but anyone that has transitioned can give me some advice as to whether they would have stayed active or perfer the GS side, would definatly be extremely helpful. Thank you

P.S. AF firefighter (did not elaborate in the message)

1st things 1st.... I think you should get a little better at the rockband game...

Forum Member

GS is looking pretty scary nowadays.. we lost all our GS here at my current base (we still have management civvies.. but no shift guys) and with the ppd 720 it's looking even bleaker. My advice. .talk to some navy or army guys about how they look at their bases.. the ones in my surrounding area seem to be hiring.. but the AF side of the house is cutting its civvies like dead weight.
    You also need to really think about if that's what you want.. do you really want to get out and do the /same/ thing you are doing now? I'm getting ready to separate after 9 years in.. but i'm not going GS.. it's the same stuff without the possibility of PCS'ing or going overseas.. have you given any though to contract for a year or two than trying on at an actual city fire department? Or is staying in the GS/DOD system something you really want?
    -pete

MembersZone Subscriber

Navy has also cut some serious jobs in the past few years. To my knowledge, they haven't layed anyone off, but more so cut and engine here, an ARFF here, and lose the manpower through attrician.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Personally, I spent 4 years active duty and then went GS. I have yet to regret it one bit, even though I could have retired by now had I stayed active. I make a whole lot more money than the AF guys, have the ability to call in sick, don't have to wear green clothes, ...

As a GS/NSPS I have went overseas three times-never with regret and always to a place I wanted to go to.

All said and done, I know I made a good choice. I have moved up the ranks fairly fast, and enjoy my job. But that's just me and I am sure others have a different slant.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this post, 2 more months and ill be punching out...

Thread Information