178th FW

Default DOD NREMT Schools

Can any of you guys help provide me with a point of contact with the Wright Patterson AFB EMT school house or any base for that matter. My Chief agreed to send me to get my EMT-B through the DOD as long as I took care of most of the arrangements. Timing is everything, so any and all of your help would be great.

Thanks guys!
    -A1C Keck-

Forum Member

Just call the operator on your base and ask them to connect you to the operator @ Wright Patterson AFB's operator and then tell them to connect you to the EMT school house. That should work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mjkeck85 View Post
    Can any of you guys help provide me with a point of contact with the Wright Patterson AFB EMT school house or any base for that matter. My Chief agreed to send me to get my EMT-B through the DOD as long as I took care of most of the arrangements. Timing is everything, so any and all of your help would be great.

Thanks guys!
    -A1C Keck-

where are you stationed at?? Why dont you just enroll in a EMT class at the local college or something??

178th FW

I thought about it, but with as much as I enjoyed my time spent at Goodfellow I would really rather take advantage of being TDY at a tech school. I'm in the 178th FW out of Springfield, Ohio.

I guess the main question I want answered is "what bases offer an EMT tech school?"

It's another chance for me to travel and meet fellow airmen, soldiers and marines which is a big part of the reason I enlisted to begin with. I love my job and I love learning by the hands of the best people.

Forum Member

Well, the only Tech school would be the one the hospital people go to at Sheppard AFB in TX. they do EMT there... but I highly doubt u will be allowed to go there unless u cross train....

seriously... just go to a local college, take the EMT Basic class, take the NR test... then Vol. to Deploy, you will meet plenty of people... I have been in 5 1/2 years and have never heard anyone going TDY to get EMT...

Forum Member

Good luck getting to go TDY for something you can get locally.

Forum Member

Default I agree

I agree with good luck going TDY for EMT. However, if you can swing it-more power to you.

How about Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio? That is where they teach Army medics and there is always an EMT class going.

Forum Member

ya.. this ain't gonna happen man.
    I'm the training officer at a fairly large base, and we can barely swing sending guys to Goodfellow on other then AF funded classes. Not to mention i'm pretty sure there are several AFI's that dictate training (what you can and can't do). You can enroll in a CDC that is outside your current AFSC (like a mechanic taking FF I/II, or a readiness guy taking OPS) but the pipeline system works differently, to get the money attached to you i'm pretty sure you have to cross train.. like the above member said, i've been in 9 years and have never/ever heard of this happening.
    You can however use your TA for a local college class (which is prolly what's going to happen) or you can use your one time certification money (up to $9000) to pay for the cert, i don't recomment going the certificaiton route as you can only use that money once in your enlistment.
    If your chief is willing to go out of his way for you then he should be willing to let you off of work to attend the local classes.. you can also check with your local medical clinic and see if thier training section does a basic course.. this happens on occasion if they have and EMT trainer around so they can keep up thier certification.. or if they 4N0's that have lapsed.. Stateside this is very rare though.. that might be the only way you could swing it other then going to college.. which is what i recommend..

178th FW

you guys are killing my hopes!! haha

I guess i'm pursuing this because we had a slot made available for one of our guys to go to an EMT school but I found out about it on a saturday and would have had to leave the following monday. Just didn't have enough time to get orders cut.

yes the dod does offer a 3 week crash course in NREMT-B it is done for the guard at McGhee Tyson ANGB in Knoxville TN, talk to MSgt Stuebs and he should be able to enroll you in it when i comes available. It is a nice place to go and learn, you just have to study and not party every night.

Thread Information