1. #1
    Forum Member
    jlcooke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    438

    Default Getting rid of that crap smell

    Does anybody have any tips or tricks for getting rid of **** and **** smells out of leather boots? The other night we responded to a structure fire. The house was a "collier mansion" with cat, dog, and human urine and excrement in the floor and in different containers throughout the house. How do you get rid of that smell?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Yeah goto the locker next to yours and trade them.

    Try Vinigar mixed with water in a spray bottle.

    Or what is that tv show thats on at 3am, with the guy that orange clean, orange glow.

    SMK

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    AZFF25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Burn 'em!
    __________________
    "Too many freaks and not enough circuses!"

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    AHAPPYMOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I know the answer to this. I have dogs and a cat.

    Go to a pet store and buy NATURES MIRACLE. It is a liquid enzyme that will neutralize the urine. It is in a white container with red lettering.

    I have never used it on leather, but I am guessing if you don't get the smell out you will have to get rid of the boots, anyway.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    bleach and water like youre supposed to do when your gear gets contaminated.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FIREGIRL4EVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina Backwoods
    Posts
    134

    Default

    vinegar and water
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.


    Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smketer View Post
    Yeah goto the locker next to yours and trade them.

    Try Vinigar mixed with water in a spray bottle.

    Or what is that tv show thats on at 3am, with the guy that orange clean, orange glow.

    SMK
    Oh you mean the guy that doesnt realize that the microphone amplifies his voice just fine? That he doesnt have to shout? God I hate that guy.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tankerhoosen View Post
    Oh you mean the guy that doesnt realize that the microphone amplifies his voice just fine? That he doesnt have to shout? God I hate that guy.
    You don't like Billy Mays? Why not? I love the guy, he's the reason I don't fall asleep with my TV on anymore.

  9. #9
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the24fireman View Post
    You don't like Billy Mays? Why not? I love the guy, he's the reason I don't fall asleep with my TV on anymore.
    There's a new guy out there that makes me go I hate you!! but he is young looking has a weird microphone on the type thing on one ear and is selling a shammy or something like that or shamu it soaks up water

    rob

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    There's a new guy out there that makes me go I hate you!! but he is young looking has a weird microphone on the type thing on one ear and is selling a shammy or something like that or shamu it soaks up water

    rob
    Thats Vince selling ShamWow, He does make me want to shoot myself.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    it's like Billy Mays and that weird microphone guy are locked in a warehouse full of crap and they have sell it to get out of there!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  12. #12
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the24fireman View Post
    Thats Vince selling ShamWow, He does make me want to shoot myself.
    Whew! I thought I was the only one out there but can we take him with us ?

    rob

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Whew! I thought I was the only one out there but can we take him with us ?

    rob
    Sure why not, the more the merrier!

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    What sound do you hear when a truck full of vinegar hits a truck full of water?

    ******!

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Richmond Fire Department
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Target sells something called "Kids-N-Pets" that's usually cheaper than the stuff at the pet stores. They have it in the floor care aisle. I've used it on poop, pee, blood, food stains, and whatever else and it works great.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quint1Medic View Post
    Target sells something called "Kids-N-Pets" that's usually cheaper than the stuff at the pet stores. They have it in the floor care aisle. I've used it on poop, pee, blood, food stains, and whatever else and it works great.
    All the stuff you will find on a Medics shirt, (after lunch)

  17. #17
    Gone.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    365

    Default

    I feel your pain. Just this past winter we worked on a barn fire, and everyone got covered in liquid cow **** from it mixing with the water and falling down from the upper levels onto us then pooling up on the floor. Took an enormous amount of effort to get all the gear back to somewhat normal.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Easy, go to the quartermaster and demand new boots. If he/she says no, cut up the boot and put it in thei rfood

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the24fireman View Post
    You don't like Billy Mays? Why not? I love the guy, he's the reason I don't fall asleep with my TV on anymore.
    Somebody needs to break into his house and see if he really does use the things he shills for.Imagine his wife's reaction to him taking a sander and scuffing the floors so he can use his finish restoring gel.
    What about using descenting detergents found in the sporting goods section of Wally World?I got literally skunked while hunting this year and used HS's stuff to get the smell out of my cammies.
    It also works well on fox pee which is supposed to be chemically similar to cat pee.
    Last edited by doughesson; 02-29-2008 at 03:27 PM.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AHAPPYMOM View Post
    I know the answer to this. I have dogs and a cat.

    Go to a pet store and buy NATURES MIRACLE. It is a liquid enzyme that will neutralize the urine. It is in a white container with red lettering.

    I have never used it on leather, but I am guessing if you don't get the smell out you will have to get rid of the boots, anyway.
    Thanks for the tip! One of my dogs had an "accident" on the small rug by the kitchen door while waiting to be let out into their kennel area. I bought Natures Miracle, and after using my extractor sprayed the rug with the stuff.. no dog pee smell at all!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    AHAPPYMOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Thanks for the tip! One of my dogs had an "accident" on the small rug by the kitchen door while waiting to be let out into their kennel area. I bought Natures Miracle, and after using my extractor sprayed the rug with the stuff.. no dog pee smell at all!
    You are welcome. It does WONDERS on cat urine, which is probably one of the worst smells to remove.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Smoke smell
    By VFDWC430 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 08:43 AM
  2. Its so close I can smell it
    By confire in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
  3. Whats That Smell?
    By Dave1983 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 11:08 PM
  4. OOOooo that smell....
    By eck3190 in forum Emergency Vehicle Operations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 09:17 PM
  5. Gas smell???
    By Ratchet in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register