Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice!

Forum Member

Angry Need Advice!

Our local has been 6 months working without a contract and we are having some issues.

1. When one of our officers went out on medical leave we allowed the department to fill that position on a temporary basis to help save over-time for the department… this was prior to the end of our contract hoping that the chiefs would see this and keep it in the back of their minds during contract talks. WELL they did not and now they have created three other positions as TEMPORARY INTERIM and they DID NOT remember this at contract talks.
    2. When we went to the contract talks and presented what we wanted we were shot down on 90% of what we wanted and they stated that this is what they are going to give us take it or leave it, so we took what they gave us and the union body voted to accept the new contract thinking that we did not lose anything… WELL it was found out later that we lost LONGEVITY PAY and when we discovered this we asked the chiefs to reinstate it they stated NO! Keep in mind that we did not sign the contract to make it official so we have the union lawyer looking into new talks.
    3. The department went to a new payroll company and before when the took out the dues automatically and deposited it into our bank… WELL now they are still taking the dues out each paycheck, but only depositing once a month and I was just informed that they will be doing this a month behind. This is in direct violation of our contract.
    My question to everyone is what do you suggest we do? Is this UNION Busting?

Thank You

IAFF member in need

Quote Originally Posted by Mtfd72 View Post
    Our local has been 6 months working without a contract and we are having some issues.

1. When one of our officers went out on medical leave we allowed the department to fill that position on a temporary basis to help save over-time for the department… this was prior to the end of our contract hoping that the chiefs would see this and keep it in the back of their minds during contract talks. WELL they did not and now they have created three other positions as TEMPORARY INTERIM and they DID NOT remember this at contract talks.
    2. When we went to the contract talks and presented what we wanted we were shot down on 90% of what we wanted and they stated that this is what they are going to give us take it or leave it, so we took what they gave us and the union body voted to accept the new contract thinking that we did not lose anything… WELL it was found out later that we lost LONGEVITY PAY and when we discovered this we asked the chiefs to reinstate it they stated NO! Keep in mind that we did not sign the contract to make it official so we have the union lawyer looking into new talks.
    3. The department went to a new payroll company and before when the took out the dues automatically and deposited it into our bank… WELL now they are still taking the dues out each paycheck, but only depositing once a month and I was just informed that they will be doing this a month behind. This is in direct violation of our contract.
    My question to everyone is what do you suggest we do? Is this UNION Busting?

Thank You

IAFF member in need
    Sounds like bargaining in bad faith at the least.

You said your lawyer is looking into it, I think that's a good first step. Your state labor laws will dictate a lot of what you can do. Are you in a Right to Work state? Another thing you'll want to do is to contact your district VP, who can get you in touch with the right people at the IAFF.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help

Generally signing the contract is a formality. If the membership ratified it the City is in a good position to enforce it. Did the City Council adopt it? You may have an out there. You could try political pressure. You face a very difficult fight. I am not a labor attorney, but have been on our exec board for 8 years and 2 contract negotiations. Continue to work with the attorney and best of luck. Very little the IAFF can do unless you need financial assistance in fighting.

Did you have your attorney read the contract to make sure that your interests were protected prior to the ratification vote?

Let this be a lesson to all.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Me thinks the union has a bit to answer on this one.

Assuming your unions are like ours, (if they are as diligent), there's no way that would have gotten through them unseen....
    Luke

Thread Information