Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glucosamine ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glucosamine ?

My doctor told me not to take glucosamine that it would throw off blood sugar levels, and to take fish or omega 3 and it would have the same affects on joints. I have never heard this before, can anyone answer this?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Glucosamine is a combination of a sugar and an amino acid molecule. This molecule is absorbed in the body through the hexosamine pathway,over activity of this pathway disrupts insulin activity. Glucosamine can "theoretically", lead to an increase in blood sugar in people with diabetes.

But…A recent study of people with type-2 diabetes showed no significant differences in the pre- and post-study hemoglobin A1c concentrations (measure of glucose control) of those who took glucosamine-chondroitin and those who took placebo for 90 days. A separate study found that these agents don't affect insulin activity or sensitivity in normal adults.

Therefore, this concern about the potential of glucosamine to negatively impact blood sugar appears to be unwarranted.

Here are two studies you can read and pass on to your doctor, which mentions the studies above.

Scroggie DA, Albright A, Harris MD. The effect of glucosamine-chondroitin supplementation on glycosylated hemoglobin levels in patients with type II diabetes mellitus: a placebo-controlled, double blinded, randomized clinical trial. Arch Intern Med 2003;163(13):1587-1590.

Pouwels MJ, Jacobs JR, Span PN, Lutterman JA, Smits P, Tack CJ. Short-term glucosamine infusion does not affect insulin sensitivity in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86(5):2099-103.

As for the fish oils I agree with the doc, but realize that any noticable benefits that fish oils may have with regards to inflammatory disease of connective tissue and joints won't be noticable for a couple of months.

Goodluck

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Holy Cazowie!

What a great post! True, well researched, and well thought out. Can I copy that for my own edification? Great Stuff!!!

Also, Glucoseamine, commercially, comes in 2 forms:
    1. Glucoseamine HCL (hydrochloride)
    2. Glucoseamine KCL (Sulfate)

The first, HCL is not as well absorbed as KCL. But, it's cheaper in the stores. So, many people try HCL and think that Glucoseamine doesn't work for them. But, they have taken the wrong form.

Further, I agree that taking Essential Fatty Acids is great for your joints.
    I personally, take both: KCL and EFA's.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

ps- what is a fire penguin? Funny...

Thread Information