Forum Member

Default What do you know of Poly Bodies

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a poly body truck. What likes or dislikes do you have? From time to time we see them but I don't know much about them. Are they accepted well in our industry? Just curious.

Thanks,

Forum Member

We have a 2200 gallon tanker the body was built about 10 years ago. The top of the body, the side of the hosebeds are cracking, the paint has long since faded from red to orange and we can not get a good ground for the electrical system.

We are going to be replacing it soon.

Also depending on what your going to do with it there are many things you can't do like an on board generator. They tell me it will crack and melt the body.

Forum Member

I can attest to the generator melting the poly. I run trucks with specially built 250 gal water tanks, and had a moron leave a generator running on the tailgate.
    Wouldn't have been a problem except the exhaust was pointed at the tank from about six inches away. We have just recently had a patch put on it, but I'm not sure how well it will hold.

Matt

Forum Member

Default Warranty Issues

On a poly body make sure you read the warranty. Most poly tank warranties are lifetime and we assume the anything poly will have a lifetime warranty. Most poly bodies will read Lifetime against any corrosion but 3 years or so on the body itself. Not the same as a tank.

Also the one piece fits all tank and body. If you back into a pole on a regular truck you dent it and thats it. On a poly body with an integral tank you could pop a weld and have a leaky tank and a truck out of service.

I have seen several wetside tankers with lower seperate poly compartments that look sweet. The old saying "buyer beware".

bad grounds and bad paint sound like a builder problem..who built the truck! colleton county near charleston sc has about twelve and has no problem, I think they were built by seagrave

Default poly

bad paint and bad grounds sound like a builder problem....who built this truck!colleton county near charleston sc has about twelve tankers in service with no problems,,they were built by seagrave

Forum Member

Is Murphy's thinking about selling them?

Forum Member

The one poly body I've seen had a problem in really cold weather that the roll up doors would jam up. It seems poly expands and contracts quite a bit due to temp. Other than that it was a sharp truck and I understand that poly is extremely easy to repair by a trained ply welder.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information