Thread: RIT Duties?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Duties?

Within my department we have developed roles and duties for our RIT. The first being to gather needed tools and equipment. The following are the duties the RIT group can then perform and these are based on need and conditions; 360 of the building, ventilation, forcible entry for a secondary means of egress, throw ladders, and secure utilities. Keep in mind, that the idea is that if we have good ventilation and means of egress, a crew that does become lost or needs to bail-out, we hopefully be able to self-rescue. I know that some will say, if my team is throwing a ladder to the second floor and a Mayday goes out, we would be delayed in getting to the firefighter. I say, that ladder may be our best point of entry! I would like to here if others are tasking the RIT with these functions, or do they stand-by at the point of entry?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have or RIT preform easy exterior task including throwing ladders and a 360. Yes in the event you have a mayday it might take a few extra seconds to get in. But on the flip side your RIT has now seen the entire building and knows somethings about the layout and where emergency egress are.

Forum Member

This is a link to our SOP What it does not mention is that we also are very aggressive at taking actions at the scene, as you stated above. But most of those actions are taken by our Rescue team, leaving our Search team ready.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

the only duty our RIT team is suppose to preform, besides getting ready to go and gathering tools is a 360. Ladder throwing and ventilation is done by a truck company.

After the fires out they pretty much become the overhaul crew.

the 4-1-4

I think that a "working" RIT is the most effective way to run. Not the entire company, but certainly part of it. Someone has to stage the equipment needed, but others need to size up. As a RIT, it is essential to learn as much about the building as possible, figure out where companies are working, what the fire load is, and to try and identify hazards immediately.
    Typically, companies involved in the firefight are focused strictly on that aspect; nothing wrong with that. The problem is that companies tend to get tunnel vision, concentrating only on putting the fire out.

RIT needs to focus only on RIT. You're not looking at putting the fire out, you're prepping to rescue firemen, should something go wrong. You should be finding alternative means to gain entry, forced or otherwise. Examining the building for signs of collapse, or advanced fire spread.

Routinely here, when companies are staged as RIT, which is a 5 member truck company, the truck will be split. Three will assemble tools and equipment while the boss and a fireman size up the building. We don't throw a lot of ladders while working as RIT. We do open up windows completely, force doors as we feel needed, etc... Venting, securing utilities, and stretching lines are all jobs that RIT should not perform.
    It is important to not get caught up in the fight in order to keep a fresh perspective should a rescue be needed.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    We fight hard to not have companies used as RIT be used for overhaul, picking up lines, or other mundane jobs following a fire.
    RIT is an important function, and we don't want guys to view it as a lame job at a fire. To me, there is nothing worse than "standing around watching the fire get knocked", and then pick up the hose, etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    the only duty our RIT team is suppose to preform, besides getting ready to go and gathering tools is a 360. Ladder throwing and ventilation is done by a truck company.

Throwing ladders and "softening" the building (opening up windows and doors) can and should be part of the RIC Company duties. Why wait for something to happen? Why not prep the building for a rescue, or better yet prep the building so a rescue isn't needed? On most residential fires our RIC company is going to "soften" the building while doing a 360 assessment. If we have crews operating above the 1st floor, many RIC companies will either bring ladders forward with them for use in a rescue or pre-place them to give operating crews additional means of egress should they need it. If a building is too large for a single RIC company to do these things and still be close enough to operating crews then the situation may be complected enough for more then one RIC company to be needed.

I am a firm believer that companies assigned to RIC need to be proactive about their jobs, not just a stand around and wait job. While RIC needs to be ready to react and deploy quickly to a rescue, we can be ready while doing a few simple tasks to improve the overall safety of an incident!

I agree with jasper45, too many look at RIC company assignment as a crappy deal. And no wonder, we are all a bunch of doers and any firefighter worth a damn would rather be fighting fire then watching. Any firefighter worth a damn knows that RIC duties are as important as any on the fire ground... but that doesn't make the lust for the fight stop after the 360 and "softening" is done. Here, we like to kick the RIC crew loose first (partly because they are usually in a position to go back in service faster then other companies). Don't make overhaul and clean up a RIC company duty unless you have too (sometimes there just isn't anyone else to do it).
    Last edited by aromania; 03-21-2008 at 02:45 AM.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Thanks! I hope to start training again on this vital fire ground function.

Thread Information