Hi Folks,
Well, I'm new at this so I have a lot of questions.
I'm a 28 year old male who has decided to start a new career and move to a new State. I currentlu live in Honolulu but the wife and I have decided to move to Oregon. We are not sure where but probably south of Eugene. We are marine biologists but I have grown tired of the work and have always wanted to be a fireman so I am starting down the path to finding employment.
I have done some research and I need some advice on how to apply for Oregon firefighting jobs.
I have a bachelors degree in Science/Ecology and plan on taking an EMT 1 class this summer at the local community college. I'm in great shape and very motivated. Is it generally seen as a problem that I'm a little older and am just now getting into gear as far as courses and prep? 28 isn't that old but I guess I always imagine 19 year olds applying.
Are there any other courses I can take to boost my resume? I don't think they offer firefighting courses here in Hawaii but I may be wrong. What about finding openings in Oregon? Do I look at Oregon job boards or is there a better way?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time!