Forum Member

Default Chaining up the front tires

We are currently having arguements with our head mechanic over putting cables on the front tires during heavy storms.
    We have used cables on our triples and chains on the brush trucks on the front tires for years with excellent success.
    I have used chains on the front of my POV when 4 wheeling as well and it works better than the rear.

He told me that "he was taught" that it is better to chain the rear so he is standing firm, now that he is the boss. He is even going so far as to say that Pierce recommends not using them on the front as well.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

We put cable chains on the front tires of our Pierce rigs. We use "chain" chains on the rear. Here's what Pierce says.... You can use cables in front, just not chains.

3-28. Tire Chains

3-28.1 Chain Clearance

Front Tires

Pierce Custom Chassis do not provide clearance for tire chain installation on the front tires.

Rear Tires

Installation of chains on the rear tires may be possible depending on the chassis model, tire size, suspension type,
    and body style. Before installing chains on rear tires, ensure that adequate clearance exists between the tire and
    fender liner at full axle jounce.

Installation of tire chains on the front tires may cause extensive damage to the cab as well as safety
    critical parts of the steering and brake systems. Damage to these components may lead to serious injury or death.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it a 4wd?

If so, you will certainly gain better traction with chains up front, but as TVFR suggested, at risk of damage to the frame and suspension. You may be able to narrow the steering lock to eliminate the rubbing, but at risk of a greatly reduced turning radius.

Otherwise, for a 2wd the cables should provide the extra traction for steering without the clearance issues. Cables and especially chains on the front have the downside of reducing your footprint on hard surfaces, and on ashphalt and concrete can even provide a surface for the tire to skid on.

I would not chain ONLY the front, as the weight of a fire apparatus is heavily towards the rear, and you seldom see steep climbs like you do in POV 4-wheeling.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Cables up front

Quote Originally Posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    We put cable chains on the front tires of our Pierce rigs. We use "chain" chains on the rear. Here's what Pierce says.... You can use cables in front, just not chains.

3-28. Tire Chains

3-28.1 Chain Clearance

Front Tires

Pierce Custom Chassis do not provide clearance for tire chain installation on the front tires.

Rear Tires

Installation of chains on the rear tires may be possible depending on the chassis model, tire size, suspension type,
    and body style. Before installing chains on rear tires, ensure that adequate clearance exists between the tire and
    fender liner at full axle jounce.

Installation of tire chains on the front tires may cause extensive damage to the cab as well as safety
    critical parts of the steering and brake systems. Damage to these components may lead to serious injury or death.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks
    The part about "cables on the front" is just what I wanted to hear. Can you tell me where you found that link? I need to be able to address it as fact not just hear-say.
    You have helped me more than you can imagine. Breaking it off in a know-it-all's big butt is priceless.

Forum Member

Fireslayer123,

I should have worded that better. We interpert the Peirce manual to say that you can't use chains, that doesn't mean you can't use cables. Many car owner's manual say the same thing. I don't know what state you're from, but in Western Oregon, we don't salt roads and we usually don't plow much beyond Hwys. We need cables in front to help stop. We have destroyed a few rear fenders when chains failed, I don't recall any problems with cables in the front.

It should be in this download https://www.pierceparts.com/index.ph...-0907_web_.pdf

Go to pierceparts.com and log in as a guest. Lots of Pierce info there.

Thread Information