Default New Fire Station

Hello to everyone on Firehouse forums. This is a first time post and if this isn't the appropriate place for my question just let me know where to put it. Maybe I ought to rephrase that, let me know where to post it.

Our city is contemplating a new fire station and as a local businessman our mayor has asked me to serve on a blueribbon committee to evaluate the safety related infrastructure needs of the community.

I've pulled some ANSI standards down as a start, but I hope that someone here can point me to resources for assessing the need for new or updated facilities.

Thank you.

Jim Gerken

MembersZone Subscriber

www.isomitigation.com

ISO has information available as to required equipment, training, and apparatus distribution.

You may also want to check with your state. Some states provide community assesment asssitance to municipalities.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jgerken View Post
    Hello to everyone on Firehouse forums. This is a first time post and if this isn't the appropriate place for my question just let me know where to put it. Maybe I ought to rephrase that, let me know where to post it.

Our city is contemplating a new fire station and as a local businessman our mayor has asked me to serve on a blueribbon committee to evaluate the safety related infrastructure needs of the community.

I've pulled some ANSI standards down as a start, but I hope that someone here can point me to resources for assessing the need for new or updated facilities.

Thank you.

Jim Gerken

Call the library at the National fire accademy and tell them what you are interested in...they can give you a bibliography of what they have on hand.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

My department is currently building a new facility. I can tell you that this is a very long and detailed process which requires numerous questions to be answered. Total time committment before construction started was two years. My community enlisted the local community as well in the planning and initial design phase. Several key points...
    1. Plan for the future. Where is the FD now and what is the future plan. Were any studies completed to support a new facility?
    2. Come up with a generalized design and concept. Let the FD worry about the details such as what direction doors swing and what office goes where.
    3. Construction is not cheap. It is even more expensive to add on or remodel. Plan ahead and consider emergency power, exhaust removal systems, extra bays for future growth etc.
    4. Beware of hidden costs. Do not overlook an interior design coordinator, potential site issues such as poor soil, permits etc.
    5. Once you think the budget is set, start over and do it over. Plan on a 10 to 15% contingency line in the overall budget.
    6. Did I mention planning for the future? Include dorms, offices, storage, more storage, training areas, etc.

Forum Member

Default GIS survey

You can contact IAFF and get some info n GIS surveys. These will help to determine deployment and locationneeds of additional stations for you response areas. Good luck and stay safe -S.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Luck

We should be in our new, 8th station sometime next month. The process has taken 2 - 1/2 years. Sure was slower and more complex than I imagined.

Forum Member

Post words of advice and encouragement

For those of you that have taken the long, slow process to get a station to fit your current and future needs, good for you. I can tell you from experience that when you let the politicians push through a design that is cheaply and quickly (less than a year) made, it will cost them and you a lot more in the future.
    The station that my department is currently in is basically a poorly insulated pole barn set on a contrete pad. The politicians in control of our village at the time had no thought about either ours or our community's needs. All they saw was the bottom line and it has cost the taxpayers in our village a lot of extra money in heating costs, building repair costs and the cost of having to get custom chassis on all of our apparatus because the bays are too short for commercial chassis.
    So I say to you that are starting the process; take your time, ask a lot of questions of your selves and everyone you can think of, and most of all, be patient. Please learn from our mistakes.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information