• Lion

2 1.89%
  • Globe

45 42.45%
  • Fire-Dex

8 7.55%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Best firefighter PPE

What is the best Turn-out gear. Options you love or hate and best material choices.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

janseville and lion are the same thing

Gone.

You didn't even do any research. You left out a good many brands:

Bristol
    Fire-Dex
    Body Guard
    Janesville
    Globe
    Cairns
    Morning Pride
    Chieftain
    Securitex

Forum Member

You left out wools. And 3/4 boots.

Permanently Removed

I have had two pairs of Janesville and just cant explain why they have lasted as long as they have.

As for all these manufacturers, lets be honest, dont all of them buy the material from the same few mills? So the material is close or damn near the same.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-01-2008 at 07:29 PM.

the 4-1-4

As for all these manufacturers, lets be honest, dont all of them buy the material from the same few mills?

That is true. However, I don't think you'll find anything more comfortable than Bristol.
    There is nothing wrong with the new ReaXtion, either.

Forum Member

I have Bristol and its very comfortable and light weight.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

I've only used Janesville(2 sets over 7 years) I just recently got a set of bristol gear and it's far superior to the janesville(comfort, weight)

Forum Member

Globe G-Extreme and Morning Pride are two good brands.

Of course, Cairns ReaXion is almost the same a Globe. Same company.

Yes, all fabric comes from two manufacturers. The differences come down to "cut and stitch."

Not familiar with Bristol brand.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Janesville now and many of our members hate the way it fits. I hate the way the liner is falling apart. We have been looking at Morning Pride and Globe. Today I had a man show me Viking gear. It is Danish made and Boston uses it. Has anyone heard anything about the Viking gear? It seems light weight and if you order stock you can get it in two weeks. If I get a demo set I will let you know how it works out. Thanks

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by bcofire14 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about the Viking gear? It seems light weight and if you order stock you can get it in two weeks.
    We were issued Viking for about 3 years, and one of my coats is still Viking. It was good gear, but I still preferred the Bristol.
    Our gear was switched over to Janesville about 4 years ago, and were not overly impressed.

I believe that Viking is almost the same as Bristol, just some changes to avoid trademark issues.
    Honestly, the problem that we had with Viking was with the vapor barrier the city spec'd in the bid. They just gave us the gear the city ordered.

Forum Member

Viking is totaly separate from Bristol and it is the most comfortable gear I have ever put on. Including the new morning pride I have at the station. The TPP is higher than the other brands too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcofire14 View Post
    We have Janesville now and many of our members hate the way it fits. I hate the way the liner is falling apart. We have been looking at Morning Pride and Globe. Today I had a man show me Viking gear. It is Danish made and Boston uses it. Has anyone heard anything about the Viking gear? It seems light weight and if you order stock you can get it in two weeks. If I get a demo set I will let you know how it works out. Thanks
    What was the spec for the stock gear? We had a Viking rep in a few weeks back and he had a Boston spec coat. There were a few minor changes from his demo set, but if we ordered the Boston spec gear we would get it cheaper. I have also seen a few other departments who are piggybacking onto other Viking orders in Florida and Washington.
    We were impressed with the gear and the weight of it. Right now it is betweem them and Morning Pride.

MembersZone Subscriber

More Info to muddy the waters regarding Viking & BFD

Concerns raised over Boston's lightweight turnout gear
    http://www.firerescue1.com/firefight...ticles/310559/

Viking responds to Boston turnouts story
    http://www.firerescue1.com/firefight...ticles/311587/

For the OP - We have been using the new Globe G-Extreme and have been quite pleased with it thus far.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    More Info to muddy the waters regarding Viking & BFD

Concerns raised over Boston's lightweight turnout gear
    http://www.firerescue1.com/firefight...ticles/310559/

Viking responds to Boston turnouts story
    http://www.firerescue1.com/firefight...ticles/311587/

For the OP - We have been using the new Globe G-Extreme and have been quite pleased with it thus far.
    I believe that I read somewhere that those guys were wearing the Bristol gear at the time and that the gear didn't have anything to do with the outcome. I know from another forum a Boston Jake said they have not all been outfitted with the Viking as of yet but heard good things from those who do have it.

When the Viking rep was down we asked him specifically about this problem and the gear not meeting NFPA. He stated the gear does meet NFPA and it says so right on the liner just like everyother set of gear in the US. It also meets the European guidlines, so that is where people might be getting mixed up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, I would vote for other.

All the makes of turnout gear have their positives and their drawbacks.

However, you could have gear made by a supreme being that is perfect in every way imaginable....

If YOU don't wear it right, you WILL get injured or killed.

So the best? Is any kind worn properly.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

As someone said, the materials all come from the same manufacturer, but how they are put together is the most important. If it is put together with shoddy construction, it won't hold up. Also, a big part is how YOU (or YOUR FD) spec the gear. If they put together a set of gear that is bulky and uncomfortable. That may be because of the different barriers and shell, or combination thereof. I think those reasons are why you see such a variation in who likes what type of gear.

On a personal note, my most favorite set of gear is my Globe GX-7. I don't like the way the new cut of the G-Xtreme fits me. I think all the extra material in the arms and back they added didn't do anything to make it easier to move, just made it bulkier. I do like the fit of the pants, however the liner that my FD spec'd is hotter than balls! Literally. In the summer if I wear them just for one box alarm, I feel like I need to change my pants because I sweat so much in them. I also have a set of Securitex. The cut on their gear is awful, it just doesn't feel right. That plus it falls apart pretty easy.

Last but not least, I have never had any problems with my leather helmet!
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

if there was an "other" i'd go that way.

We are in the midst of a turnout change, and so far all my line staff like the Securitex, and Viking. I like that Boston uses the Viking, but i have had mixed reviews from who I have called (i am on west coast). Everyone I called on Securitex has had very posative reviews. We are looking at the 2f3 fabric. It is a great fabric with a very good TPP. I noted someone else has worn securitex and didnt like it. Possibly an older design, but the ones we have tried fit very well. on par with Vikings fit TBO. Again, your own "study" on the fabrics is worth the time.

I wore Globe for a while when i was in the Bay Area. Very comfy and maintains a traditional look. We currently use lion/janesville. We use VERY old design, so everything in comparison is better.

Ask your reps which departments to call and who uses their stuff. Service is a HUGE component of our purchase. My securitex rep provided 10 refs and had 2 call me. Everyone else I have had to seek out info. I find the reps effort pretty awesome and would only expect that level of service if i had any issues.

In retro, do a a field test. I find line staff to be pretty good at picking apart a garment regardless of of past experience. Then make sure they actually use the garment correctly......

Josh

North Tahoe Fire

MembersZone Subscriber

I use morning pride and iam on my second set of it. Its by fair the best ive used. I do have a question out there if anyone can help me out. My department currently uses Verdian Gear. Does anyone or has anyone ever used it? From the guys here, they hate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spidy-

I hope for your sake Securitex has improved the design and quality of workmanship. I will tell you that we are a busier department and the Securicrap falls apart on us. I will never say never, so they may have improved their product. One more thing, I believe they lost a lawsuit (either SC of NJ, can't remember) in reference to their gear failing or something like that. This is a point one of our local reps (not Securitex) talk about all the time, so I take it tongue in cheek. Good thing going out and getting references. Very smart idea. Also excellent point on service. You don't want to have to send gear out and wait weeks if not longer to get it back. If the guys in the field have tried it on and like it, good luck, I hope it works well for you. Like I said, it all depends on how you spec it.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TFD9427 View Post
    I believe that I read somewhere that those guys were wearing the Bristol gear at the time and that the gear didn't have anything to do with the outcome. I know from another forum a Boston Jake said they have not all been outfitted with the Viking as of yet but heard good things from those who do have it.

When the Viking rep was down we asked him specifically about this problem and the gear not meeting NFPA. He stated the gear does meet NFPA and it says so right on the liner just like everyother set of gear in the US. It also meets the European guidlines, so that is where people might be getting mixed up.
    First of all - I didn't post either of those articles to insinuate the gear had anything to do with the deaths of the two brothers from Boston, but rather to highlight the potential issues with the Viking gear itself.

Secondly, In the second link I posted - Vikings own response clearly states the following:
    Viking has provided two versions of fire suits to the Boston Fire Department: the original EN469 version supplied three years ago and the new dual certified EN469/NFPA version supplied from this year. Both of these suits exceeded the NFPA requirements at the time (NFPA 2000 and NFPA 2007) for thermal protection while offering several other advantages for reducing the risk of heat stress.
    There are actually two things to take from that passage.
    1) The older gear that was only EN469 certified did (according to Viking) meet or exceed the NFPA performance standard for that year, however it had not been certified as such.

2)Your Rep is correct in that CURRENT Viking gear is NFPA certified, however this has not always been the case.

My point to both of these being - anyone who is looking at a "Boston Spec" set of gear that is concerned about having NFPA "certification" should examine the suits and make sure they are getting the newer Dual certified stuff because there is/was Viking gear that was not NFPA "certified".
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Default Hey TFD

If the set of gear was the one that Eric was showing around , it is the stock gear. He told us the Boston spec added a mic tab on the collar and the stripes were down the back instead of across it. The Boston gear was also the very dark blue almost black color. Our department went with it against the Morning Pride, Janesville and Globe that we already had in house. Our neighboring department bought it also and they had G extreme. One deciding factor was that the local city dept. has had two sets for three years on the busiest engine in the city. The guy wearing it has washed it numerous times, he says at least a hundred times in three years. It has no crotch tears just looks very worn and well used as he also does training burns in it as an assistant instructor. I have a really nice set of MP at my dept. and it is comfortable and light but does not compare to the Viking. It is NFPA approved.

Forum Member

The best thing you can do is get as many reps to visit you with samples to look at and try on. Just remember one thing...some reps will bring the absolute lightest weight combo on purpose. The weight has mostly to do with the materials chosen, not the brand.

We had some falling for his when looking at gear. We had narrowed it down to two brands, and everyone wanted the Globe because it was the lightest. But turns out the materials presented was causing the weight difference. When we asked the other rep to bring the same material, theirs felt just as light.

For what it's worth we went with Fire-Dex. We also looked at Jainesville (least favorite), Morning Pride, Securitex, and Globe. Keep in mind some of our decision was based on the dealer being close and the level of service we could receive (repairs, etc).
    Last edited by WebFire; 04-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

I agree, and make em all send you a demo set that you can wear on the engine and use for a couple months.

Forum Member

Has anyone dealt with Fyrepel turnout gear?

Someone mentioned them at the station the other day and I had never heard of them.

Thread Information