Thread: helmet cams

MembersZone Subscriber

Default helmet cams

ok any firefighters out there have or use helmet cams and does your fire dept have any restrictions on the use of the camera. i just got mine and and the officers are againist it its coming up at a officer meeting tuesday i got this camera as a gift hoping its my favor i wanna be able to use it
    let me know i think there pretty kool.

Forum Member

It doesn't much matter what we think. It sounds like it's in the hands of your officers. I suggest you say yes sir and abide by their wishes.

Gone.

There was a lengthy discussion about cameras on the fire scene just recently. Be it a helmet cam or not, the majority was against. Being a violation of victim rights and stuff like that isn't worth recording on the fire scene, and could bring lawsuits. Let the media handle it.

Forum Member

Remember the helmet cam guy from the playboy channel?

It is an interesting situation. Myself and my fellow Lt Both wear a helmet cam. As far as legalities it can be used by investigators to see exactly what you see during the initial fire attack. On the other side the videos could be inappropriately posted on any of dozens of web pages. I suggest you discuss with your officers the positive side of this and agree beforehand not to post any video without permission.

Be Safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomdtruck1443 View Post
    ok any firefighters out there have or use helmet cams and does your fire dept have any restrictions on the use of the camera. i just got mine and and the officers are againist it its coming up at a officer meeting tuesday i got this camera as a gift hoping its my favor i wanna be able to use it
    helmut cams r the kewlest, d00d! u can put ur pix n muvies on myspace n get gurlz cuz dey think fyremenz r h0tt!

My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default update on my problem

Quote Originally Posted by tomdtruck1443 View Post
    well last nite officers made a choice no helmet cams but had a meeting with chief today and its legal reasons too but hes going to bat for me tommorrow to village lawyer and ask her if i can hopefully we can and set up some rules too.

Forum Member

I would say use it at a training fire, but not on a run.

Let's talk fire trucks!

We had a job in a balloon frame on Sunday morning. Two of my shift members have helmet cams ... one put his on the front bumper of the tower ladder and recorded the action from a stationary position, while the other man wore his helmet cam into the fire.

While doing a quick critique of the fire this AM, the BC loved the fact that we were able to look at how the fire quickly changed on us, going from an incipient fire into a high-heat, low-viz fire in a matter of 90 seconds. Played it on the TV in the dayroom. We were also able to see the actions taken by the truck crew that ultimately led to a successful mitigation of the the fire.

Our members don't put the video's on the net or publish them, we only use it for training purposes.

Just this guy's couple-of-pennies worth.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

tomdtruck1443:
    Do you want to sell your camera? I'll buy it slightly used.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Enough!

Firefighters who wear these helmet cams are an accident waiting to happen, when your worrying about the footage your getting your not worrying about the task at hand, leave the wacker cam at home and concentrate on the real reason you were called.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by erik3911 View Post
    Firefighters who wear these helmet cams are an accident waiting to happen, when your worrying about the footage your getting your not worrying about the task at hand, leave the wacker cam at home and concentrate on the real reason you were called.
    Ummmmmmmmm ok. I know multiple people on my department who have helmet cams and I don't ever recalling them being "worried about the footage and not the task at hand". Well except for when someone says, "hey throw this on the dash will ya?!"

And same thing here. It is used for critquing and training and IS NOT put on the internet.

helmut cams r the kewlest, d00d! u can put ur pix n muvies on myspace n get gurlz cuz dey think fyremenz r h0tt!

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Helmet cams can open you up to a whole world of hurt. I dont like them and if I am the officer you can be damn sure there will be no helmet cam used on my rig.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default One more thing...

Sure you can say "dont put this on the internet"... Real life proves this is easier said then done.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by erik3911 View Post
    Really? When I watched the footage from the truckman that was wearing his camera a couple of days ago on our fire, it proved that he was doing his job. The FF worrying about footage and not the task at hand? Haven't seen it yet.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Sure you can say "dont put this on the internet"... Real life proves this is easier said then done.
    If it finds its way to the internet...............I'm pretty sure that around here you would go bye bye very fast.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default let me see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA8 View Post
    tomdtruck1443:
    Do you want to sell your camera? I'll buy it slightly used.

let me see what happens first

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Helmet cams can open you up to a whole world of hurt. I dont like them and if I am the officer you can be damn sure there will be no helmet cam used on my rig.
    assuming to do everything right, and according to your department's SOPs, how can they open you up to a whole world of hurt?

At the very worst, a helmet cam can be an unbiased witness to any situation where something goes wrong, where you don't have to rely on a human beings poor memory and poor visual recollection (when compared to a camera lens, that is).

At the very best, a helmet cam can give you an an unbiased witness to any situation where something goes wrong, where you can show conditions inside a structure, where recollection isn't clouded by adrenaline, high pressure situations, or the potential for loss of life. It can show you did everything right, support your actions in case of a lawsuit.

Basically, what do you have to hide? and if you need to hide it, why are you doing it?

This is, of course assuming someone doesn't put the video on you tube without proper departmental approval. and if that does happen, well, you know who has the cam, so you know who to take action against.....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

As Box has stated if the cam is used responsibly there should not be an issue. I recently purchased one and agreed with our chief all footage will be used for training and archived by the department on disc, then deleted from the camera by the cheif after review. there is no way any footage can get to the www / youtube without his approval. cam mounted behind periferal vision so as not to remind me it is there. recording starts at station and not shut off till it times out or we return to station. I then hand it over to the cheif who with me will transfere it to disc, then lock disc up for review when time allows. Discs are stored in a locked drawer and we even have a sign out sheet for each disc. chain of custody, if ever needed for an investigation it will be admissable since proper controlls are taken and maintained. all discs are labled times, date, scene address, run/incident number, time data transfered to disc, time and date data removed from camera, signature of at least 2 people who are accountable( chief/IC, Camera opperator, and 1 witness) the cheif was so impressed by the detailed way I set it up he is considering purchasing additional cameras and include which camera was used to record footage and each camera would be loaded to its own dics and all for the incident would be stored together and cataloged. This would provide multiple angles / views of each and every incident. The officers would be the ones wearing the cameras which would provide a additional level of control.
    The Cameras can either be a tool or a liability but it is up to you as to what it will be. Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

If you do a search on youtube, you will find hundreds of helmet cam videos. Some have music, some show some stupid stuff. I could find things to pick apart on almost every one of them. I have nothing to "hide" but I dont need something I do or say coming back to haunt me because of a helmet cam video that someone posted on line. It is bad enough that civillians are taping everything. If YOUR fire scene is perfect then God bless you. I live in the real world.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Keitha8

I have one thats only been used around the house with just screwing around with it. Looking to get rid of it so if you want it send me a PM.

Some Guy

When was the last time you did NOT see a camera in a police car? Matter of fact, when ever I see a cop walk up to us the 1st thing I do is look at his/her car. If I see the amber light, I know we are being recorded both audio and video.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    When was the last time you did NOT see a camera in a police car?
    Um..........The last time that I saw one of our PD's cars. Besides the State Highway Patrol, there are only a few departments that have them.

They used to have cameras but they were crap so they got rid of them. Now as we get more new cars and MDTs for all cars I guess they are thinking of getting cameras.

makes good girls go bad

I have one. I use it. The footage is property of the Fire Dept if it is taken on the fireground, or a training class, or conference paid for by the FD. If I pay for it, then the footage is my property. I keep a copy of all footage, once authorized by the fire chief, so I can train my Brothers when I meet them out and about on clinicals, or I teach to the Dept.
    This is a tool, no different from the BRT, to the roof hook, to the red lights and siren. Misuse it, and you have egg on your face. Use it right, and you, and your Brothers can benefit.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have one, my Lieutenant has one, and all 3 chief's have em, too, all of which were purchased individually and NOT by the department. This means that, according to the "freedom of the press," I can shoot what I want, when I want...

...now, should that contain PT information (including faces), it is not to be released publicly, due to HIPAA.

I wound up buying my helmet from the department so I could mount my camera on it. If someone was to tell me to take it off, they have no platform to stand on- it's personal property, mounted on personal property, and the footage is personal property. At least, that's how the chief's put it...

...good luck with it all. Having these cameras has changed how we review fires, and the footage from my helmet camera has even helped in an arson investigation.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Thread Information