Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default hose advancment stance

I would like to know what stance you are in when advancing a hose line through a building. I have been introduced to several over the last couple of years and a new one has come up. It was explained to me as placing the line under your armpit, with a hand on the hose line, knob at arms length infront of you, in a stance similar to the bottom of a squat, with a hop of sorts. The back up FF is in your back pocket hopping insync.
    This method is very different than anything I have ever seen here on the Left Coast.
    Thanks in advance

Hoc Majorum Virtus

MembersZone Subscriber

hey if 68 of you guys read the question then I must be under the impression that this is what you do going down a hall or into a SFD? If not I would like some feed back about this technique.

Hoc Majorum Virtus

Forum Member

Look NG, I read the thread and didn't know what the he!! you were talking about. No hopping here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    No hopping here.
    But Easter is coming up!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replys. I thought that the techniques was a little out there, the guy teaching it stated it was from Oakland and the FDNY. It will be good to hear from one ofthose Deptments on the Easter thing.

Are you sure they were hopping, and not just doing a squatted walk. We don't kneel here, we squat. 1 leg out in front, shift your weight to that leg, 2nd leg moves under you to support the weight, repeat.

More often than not, we walk first. When conditions require it, we then get low.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it depends on the person on the pipe. In the rare instance that I have had the pipe I usually keep my left leg infront of my feeling the floor and do a side straddle movement. Kinda hard to describe. It works for me.

Forum Member

Depends on visability. I usually walk until the smoke ( if any) gets to head level, then go to a crouch, then a little "duck walk" and then end up walking on my knees. Almost as soon a I get to my knees one leg goes out in front of me to feel the floor. I can move quicker this way too, as my legs are too short to move quick when on my knees. Usually the leg oposite the side I have the line on. This might be the "hopping" that you are describing as you feel in front of you with an outstreched leg and kind of pull with the forward leg to allow the kneeling leg to catch up. This stance has been talked up in some articles from the NY area. The thought is too keep your knees off the floor. Comes from the number of burns to the knee that FDNY has had. Padding helps but if you dont kneel on the hot floor and keep out of the heated water you dont burn your knees. I teach that the backup man stays 5 feet or so behind while in a building, only moving up to first mans butt when flowing water. Outside it's easier to have the backup man closer, but in a hallway you can brace against the wall and floor. Once some slack is immediately behind the knob the second man moves up to take pressure of the nozzle man. Locally in FFI they so drill into the students about crawling that I have some guys drop to hands and knees at the door when visability has been real good. THis makes for a real slow advance. If I can see the floor I'm walking.

Forum Member

If I have to crawl, I kinda do one of those knee shuffle deals. I walk on my knees and if I have to move quickly I push with one foot and sort of slide a little or step depending on the floor. Kind of hard to explain well. It is a little rough on the knees too.

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

Default ditto

ditto to the above.

Unless we are in one of the less desireable areas of the city. In which case i stay on my feet. there are some real nasties in our district (ie: slobs, squatter inhabiated vacants, human fecal matter, ****, etc...).
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Ya I think I remember this from a while back. Not sure if it was called the bunny hop or the hokey pokey. I think you started with your left foot in. lol

Forum Member

Just like bones and jake were saying, putting a foot out in front and one underneath you will keep you off the floor and help stabilize you. I do a duck-walk of sorts, which is faster than crawling and helps you not burn your knees. One hop to many without sounding the floor, and you might end up ***-deep in the first floor or cellar.

P.S. I fight fire about as far west as it gets; this is the right way no matter what your coat or shield says.
    NorCal Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dbier57 View Post
    Just like bones and jake were saying, putting a foot out in front and one underneath you will keep you off the floor and help stabilize you. I do a duck-walk of sorts, which is faster than crawling and helps you not burn your knees. One hop to many without sounding the floor, and you might end up ***-deep in the first floor or cellar.

P.S. I fight fire about as far west as it gets; this is the right way no matter what your coat or shield says.
    It also allows you to feel the floor infront of you, Very important! Now, since I am on the Rescue ....We just Hover over the floor like the gods we are!!!

Forum Member

Yeah, I hear that! Hey, I'm taking the test in April and was thinking of stopping buy at some houses. Are you at Rescue 1 or 2?
    NorCal Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the good input. I weigh in at 350lbs, (6'8") with all gear on did not think that hopping was good for the livelihood. I have used the one foot, one knee method, I have crawled in, and I have walked in until I had to crouch and then knee walked until I had to crawl and then moved on my belly until the linoleum bubbled that is when I left the biulding. I still think that I will not use this new tech.

I like the ideas and if that guy from NEU thinks that he is west I work in the East Bay.

Again love the feedback, I needed what you guys gave to influence my crew to make dicissions that will increase the chances of them going home.

As far as the Hokey Pokey and the other dance I leave that to my kids, although the next time I hear of a similar tech that defies common sense I will not talk about a purple sky, but whistle the hokey pokey.

Hoc Majorum Vitrus

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Are you sure they were hopping, and not just doing a squatted walk. We don't kneel here, we squat. 1 leg out in front, shift your weight to that leg, 2nd leg moves under you to support the weight, repeat.

More often than not, we walk first. When conditions require it, we then get low.
    Yea, that's what I do now that i'm packing up again!

Also, be sure to sound that floor when you make entry... seems that floors are giving way pretty quickly these days.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, IO finally got some more information on this advancement: you are in a deep squat, hose in one armpit, with one foot in front of the other, the motion is supposed to be a shuffle step, not a hop as I was being shown (testing/feeling the floor integrety), and the intent was for a littered floor (needles, glass, tripping hazards etc) As before I think at my stature I will still decline this as the end all to hose advancement tech.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hoc Majorum Vitrus

Thread Information