Thumbs up To all aspiring firefighters

To all those still in pursuit of their badge, keep at it and never give up. Always learn from the mistakes and keep trying to improve everyday. I'm 36 and it took me close to 15 years to achieve my dream in becoming a professional firefighter. I want to thank Capt. Bob and Capt. Rob for helping me achieve my dream. Without their help I would still be testing instead of going to training March 5th. You guys are the real deal! It saddens me when I read about the unnecessary bashing you receive about helping others achieve their dream. I would also like to thank Paul Lepore for his book called Smoke Your Firefighter Interview. That book was a great guide and paired with Capt.'s Bob & Rob's program is a deadly combination when it comes to interview time. It got me my badge. Remember, listen to those that are experts in their field and use their advice in pursuing your badge. It shortens the curve by 1000%. After getting help from Capt. Bob & Rob and using Chief Lepore's book I got my Badge In less than 2 years. I still can't believe I finally accomplished my goal. It hasn't sunk in yet. My fellow FF friends tell me when I get that first call on my first day it will hit me like a ton of bricks. You will then realize what you have accomplished and have much to be proud of. I can't wait to get started! God Bless and Be Safe

It's good to hear that you've finally acheived your dream...., but also discouraging to know that it took that long to become a firefighter. Is it really that difficult to become a proffessional firefighter? i mean is there a long list of people lined up to become firefighters?

Forum Member

1a2b3c, thank you for the kind words. While the people you list may have helped you, you are the one that got the job. I just helped you draw from yourself the things you needed to present, and the best way to present them. No one could take an unqualified person and get them a job. But the process can be speeded up for those who qualify.

Now the hard part starts. Many people think that getting the job is the hardest part, but many are surprised at how challenging the academy is. L.A. cityís academy washes out 15-20% of the men and almost all of the women. But in my experience it all comes down to attitude. There are a few that are let go for academic reasons, and a few for physical issues, but by far the main reason is lacking the ability to be ďThe New GuyĒ. Call everyone sir and mame, and ask what you can do better. Seek out constructive criticism, and thank people when they give it to you. I am sure you will do great, welcome to the family. Just remember youíre not in until youíre in, but when youíre in, youíre IN.

SHIFTERCART1, it does take some people longer than others. Some may be testing for one department only, others may have to balance family and work with schooling and testing. But I have worked with four guys in the last year that were all 19 with EMT and got hire on their first test, two with Las Vegas, and two with L.A. city, one got a 100% there. Donít be discouraged everyone is different, and every test is different. Sometimes a department will have budget problems and not hire for a few years. Others, like mine, are short over 50 people and canít hire fast enough. Get all of your ducks in a row, take all of the tests you can, learn how to get good at the test, and as long is there is nothing wrong to keep you from a job, Iím sure there is a job waiting for you somewhere.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow. A user name like 1a2b3c. First post, just joined. Praising Major Spammer and Mini-Spammer

Now far be it from me to suggest that two "fine, upstanding citizens" like these two, who ironically enough lead potential candiates to a site that advocates "beating" a polygraph, would dare......

Nah. The newbie must just really be a huge Star Trek fan and remembered that 1a2b3c was the self destruct code of the USS Enterprise who mentions their very own tag line and the word badge quite often...
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 03-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Wow. A user name like 1a2b3c. First post, just joined. Praising Major Spammer and Mini-Spammer

Now far be it from me to suggest that two "fine, upstanding citizens" like these two, who ironically enough lead potential candiates to a site that advocates "beating" a polygraph, would dare......

Funny how that all worked out isn't it. Really is quite sad.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

To funny though I just joined and have no idea who these people are :-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probie1Kenobi View Post
    To funny though I just joined and have no idea who these people are :-)
    Don't worry...You soon will!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1a2b3c View Post
    To all those still in pursuit of their badge, keep at it and never give up. Always learn from the mistakes and keep trying to improve everyday. I'm 36 and it took me close to 15 years to achieve my dream in becoming a professional firefighter. I want to thank Capt. Bob and Capt. Rob for helping me achieve my dream. Without their help I would still be testing instead of going to training March 5th. You guys are the real deal! It saddens me when I read about the unnecessary bashing you receive about helping others achieve their dream. I would also like to thank Paul Lepore for his book called Smoke Your Firefighter Interview. That book was a great guide and paired with Capt.'s Bob & Rob's program is a deadly combination when it comes to interview time. It got me my badge. Remember, listen to those that are experts in their field and use their advice in pursuing your badge. It shortens the curve by 1000%. After getting help from Capt. Bob & Rob and using Chief Lepore's book I got my Badge In less than 2 years. I still can't believe I finally accomplished my goal. It hasn't sunk in yet. My fellow FF friends tell me when I get that first call on my first day it will hit me like a ton of bricks. You will then realize what you have accomplished and have much to be proud of. I can't wait to get started! God Bless and Be Safe
    Just think...........

Without their help, you probably would have made it 14 years ago
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Will the Webteam please look at the IP address for 1a2b3c. If it is as suspected, the Bob/Rob team has hit a new all time low.
    Last edited by DrewOnFire; 03-07-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrewOnFire View Post
    Will the Webteam please look at the IP address for 1a2b3c. If it is as suspected, the Bob/Rob team has hit a new all time low.
    Why would they bother. They're all buddies and nothing would be done about it. Don't waste your breath.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Exclamation Response

I am not a phoney. I just wanted to inspire other future firefighters to keep after their dreams and never give up. If that's wrong I apologize for doing that. I also wanted to give credit where credit was due. Capt. Bob & Rob helped me by providing the tools. I had to do all the work in preparing. Never once have they told me to lie and cheat my way on the job. I didn't even have to take a polygraph during the hiring process. Capt. Bob and Rob would be the first to tell anybody not to lie under any circumstances. That's a big no,no in the fire service where honesty and integrity are the two most important attributes of a firefighter. You others must be the exceptions to those attributes. If you are I hope I never come across you in the fire service. You are the types that make us good guys look bad. The brotherhood is important to me because I will never ever leave a fellow brother firefighter behind and I'm sure if I was trapped in a fire Capt. Bob Or Capt. Rob would do everything in their power to come get me out just like the 700 firefighters on my department would. Someone once told me if you are successful in life others would be jealous and try to knock you down and that's what I sense is happening here. I could careless if you others don't like me and call me stupid names. I'm not here for a popularity contest. I'm here to learn from others so I can be the best firefighter I can be in all ways. Take Care and Be Safe Out There. 1a2b3c

Forum Member

Default anyone can sling mud

I hope those of you who posted above use more of you brain power to make decisions in the real world. To make a determination like that with no facts, just your opinion of me, someone you donít know, and a newly hired guy, someone you couldnít know, is ridiculous.

Would you go on a roof without finding out what kind of construction itís made of? Would you go into a structure fire without learning how long itís been burning? Or do you just use the same decision making process you show here and decide on you feelings and gut instinct? Do you treat a medical patient differently based on what you think about them? Do you spread unsubstantiated rumors around without facts, as you have done here?

I wonder how a person that is, or wants to be a good firefighter some day, could throw out accusations like that with no facts. Maybe itís not possible.

For your information the web team evaluates every new poster here. Their first three posts donít go right up, until they see who is posting and what they are saying. That post has already been examined. If I were to come up with a fake name I could sure do better than that, that would make me a cheat and an idiot. Neither of which I am.

I talked to the person who posted here and he was shocked. He just start his academy and hasnít check his post, but he will, just to make you happy. I have made mistakes in my past, and I have been wrong before, just ask my wife. But I have never made the mistake of accusing someone of something with out a shred of evidence. That isnít something that people with intelligence and integrity do.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330
    www.myfireinterview.com
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 03-10-2008 at 02:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

First off: Congratulations!

Second: I felt sorry as I sat and watched in shock and awe as some individuals p!ssed on someone else's parade. Way to go!

There's b@llbreaking and then there's venom & vinegar.

Forum Member

For those of you that didn't notice, 1a2b3c posted on 3/9/08. The web team reviewed it and took a while to post. They put it in at #11 today, because of the date he sent it in.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330
    www.myfireinterview.com

Thread Information