1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vernon, Vermont, United States
    Posts
    1

    Default I Got Ripped Off, Share Stories of Similar Experiences, Please

    Last night at about 3:15, my pager went off. This dispatcher comes on "The tone is for Guilford, a 1st alarm, respond to (address with-held) Guilford Center Road for a building fire." I jump out of bed at about mach ten and jump into my bunker boots quickly, about that point, dispatch comes on and goes "All Guilford units remain in quarters, this is going to be Guilford Street in Brattleboro." It was in their rural district and they called a 2nd alarm, requesting our tanker. Since I'm a junior, I cannot go mutual aid, so that was a bummer. Anyone top that rip-off?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    124

    Talking

    lol... getting woken up after midnight and getting canceled halfway to being on scene. THREE TIMES IN ONE NIGHT, 2am 4am 5:30am.

    And countless other calls I've been on that were BS and we didn't even make it out of the bay.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toledo/Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    I really don't feel sorry for you...
    Seats on first-due apparatus (especially engines where it is possible for there to be a full crew of firefighters) should be left for firefighters... If there's a seat available, then by all means, it's yours.

    If I were a firefighter on station with 3 other firefighters and an explorer/Jr. and the explorer/Jr. tried taking my seat or another firefighter's seat... Adios.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

  4. #4
    Gone.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Honestly, not a rip off. You're a junior. Get over it.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Someplace you're not :)
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Yep what ^^^he said^^^. You'll get plenty of calls in your career. I used to be the same way....(although I started as an adult.) I would come tearing in, throw on the gear run to the truck. Only to either get booted for a senior guy, or we'd get cancelled enroute. Now, (after MANY years..) I walk in, get dressed, walk to the truck...and I get to go...either as driver or senior guy in the back, and sometimes as officer. Give it time kid....you'll see some action....

    P.S. Maybe I'll see you at a fire school in New England sometime...you'll know who I am just by actions..

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I'm gonna agree with the above three posters.

    There is nothing more that I can say that they havent already said.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90GFD90 View Post
    Last night at about 3:15, my pager went off.
    Why? At 3:15am, your pager should be OFF, because your arse belongs in BED.

    I'm curious- does Vermont have child labor laws?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    I don't think he's ****ed about the mutual aid part. He's just saying he was excited to go to what sounded like a pretty big call and then it was canceled. Don't tell me that not one of you would be saying "Damn it" if that happened.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I'm curious- does Vermont have child labor laws?
    Not to mention curfews for those under 18, and does Vermont allow drivers under 21 to be on the road at that hour?

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I got Ripped off last night.. idk if you can call it ripped off but i was ****ed..... We got called to a chimney fire at 12 45 this morning.. and i was on the 1st truck in... The street was full of smoke... and we bypass the hydrant by 500 feet... and it turned out to be a structure fire so i ended up pulling all 500 feet of 3 inch back up the hydrant we bypassed, we actually stopped at the hydrant for about 2 seconds and took off b/c apparently he didnt think we needed one. So needless to say i was worn out 10 minutes after arriving.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troysif View Post
    I got Ripped off last night.. idk if you can call it ripped off but i was ****ed..... We got called to a chimney fire at 12 45 this morning.. and i was on the 1st truck in... The street was full of smoke... and we bypass the hydrant by 500 feet... and it turned out to be a structure fire so i ended up pulling all 500 feet of 3 inch back up the hydrant we bypassed, we actually stopped at the hydrant for about 2 seconds and took off b/c apparently he didnt think we needed one. So needless to say i was worn out 10 minutes after arriving.
    You ARE kidding, right?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You ARE kidding, right?

    no.... Why?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troysif View Post
    no.... Why?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troysif View Post
    no.... Why?
    Hoooooo boy. If you have to ask, You wouldnt understand. Just dont plan on a career in the fire service, ok?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hoooooo boy. If you have to ask, You wouldnt understand. Just dont plan on a career in the fire service, ok?


    If it has to do with being worn out quickly... Currently im not in the best shape of my life, and im working on that b/c i do plan on a career in the fire service. So there is no need to act the way you are, if you think there is a problem with what i said just come out and tell me, i will understand not everyone is perfect and letting someone know that something is wrong will help them, i kinda thought thats what we did around here was help people.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dsadberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    41

    Default

    So needless to say i was worn out 10 minutes after arriving.
    That's what she said... HEYO!

  17. #17
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Wah wah wah. I didn't get to go watch a fire burn. Wah wah wah.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  18. #18
    Gone.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    365

    Default

    You guys bitching about being tired seriously need to turn in your gear and quit. Seriously.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dmleblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    He's just saying he was excited to go to what sounded like a pretty big call and then it was canceled. Don't tell me that not one of you would be saying "Damn it" if that happened.
    At 3:15 in the morning? Nope......
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

    "I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsadberry View Post
    That's what she said... HEYO!
    Thanks for making me spit this Pepsi all over the mother f***ing keyboard!


    That was hilarious.





    First things first, we don't want to hear about how you were tired ten minutes into the fire. This means a few things.

    One, you need to get into shape and fast.

    Two, that you haven't realized that on scenes you WILL be tired. Now this isn't any comparison to something like BUD/S hell week, but esp in the middle of the night you are gonna be tired and exhausted, and especially on a prolonged or complicated call. You just need to get over it because all of the other guys that are out on scene with you are thinking the same thing (how nice their warm bed would feel right now, how tired they are, how sore they are from crawling around, etc) and they aren't complaining.

    And thirdly, this doesn't have anything to do with the scene, but listen to most of the guys on here. (all of the posters so far in this thread fit into that most category) Many of them have been putting the wet stuff on the red stuff for longer than you have been alive. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience. So if you are getting a little bit of a hard time about something, just go along with it. The forums are basically just an internet firehouse. I can guarantee that if this was brought up at my station people would be giving you crap too. Its just the nature of the beast, guys giving each other (and especially the probies) a hard time.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    To the OP, yeah it sucks to be canceled and then get called out to something you cannot do. It is frustrating as a Junior, I KNOW FULL WELL, but there is nothing you can do. You'll get your share of fire when the time comes so relax a bit.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-04-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Needed to remove some stuff
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Thanks for making me spit this Pepsi all over the mother f***ing keyboard!


    That was hilarious.





    First things first, we don't want to hear about how you were tired ten minutes into the fire. This means a few things.

    One, you need to get into shape and fast.

    Two, that you haven't realized that on scenes you WILL be tired. Now this isn't any comparison to something like BUD/S hell week, but esp in the middle of the night you are gonna be tired and exhausted, and especially on a prolonged or complicated call. You just need to get over it because all of the other guys that are out on scene with you are thinking the same thing (how nice their warm bed would feel right now, how tired they are, how sore they are from crawling around, etc) and they aren't complaining.

    And thirdly, this doesn't have anything to do with the scene, but listen to most of the guys on here. (all of the posters so far in this thread fit into that most category) Many of them have been putting the wet stuff on the red stuff for longer than you have been alive. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience. So if you are getting a little bit of a hard time about something, just go along with it. The forums are basically just an internet firehouse. I can guarantee that if this was brought up at my station people would be giving you crap too. Its just the nature of the beast, guys giving each other (and especially the probies) a hard time.
    ok Yes i do understand all this, and i wasn't really complaining about it i was mainly just venting about the person driving.. and how he doesn't follow protocols. Because i and many other people have had a problem with him in the past few months. So sorry for not explaining myself more.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northwood Nh
    Posts
    28

    Default

    we get kicked off the truck if a firefighter wants are seat..


    Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I really don't feel sorry for you...
    Seats on first-due apparatus (especially engines where it is possible for there to be a full crew of firefighters) should be left for firefighters... If there's a seat available, then by all means, it's yours.

    If I were a firefighter on station with 3 other firefighters and an explorer/Jr. and the explorer/Jr. tried taking my seat or another firefighter's seat... Adios.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chatsworth and Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    101

    Default

    well to answer the ORIGINAL topic
    yes it does inhale visiously to be paged out on a call in the middle of the night and be cancelled.
    it also is a bummer to hear the tones go off for a fire (i.e. more than one station's tones go off or the chief tone goes off) and it be just a training page

    but as for what this topic has turned into
    why are we bashing someone who simply said they were tired from working at a fire scene
    i would be upset to if i had to do something that was supposed to have already been done
    i was a runner in high school and i still run to stay in shape and ive been at incidents where the S*** has hit the fan and yeah ill say my butt was a lil tired after only maybe 10 or 15 minutes of work, not because im outta shape but because i worked my a** off
    and yeah ive not been doing this a long time either but i know the difference between bashing and given someone a hard time
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Just something you are going to have to deal with as being a junior firefighter, probie, whatever you call it...each fire company has thier own SOP's dealing with junior firefighters, as to what they can and can not do at differnt types of calls. As a firefighter myself, I can understand the need to have seats on the engine/pumper/rescue/truck to be filled with the firefighters with the right qualifications. A jump seat with a SCBA should not be occupied by none other then an interior qualified firefighter unless there is not one present for that seat at time of departure from your firehouse in response to structure related calls. Give us "interior" guys the ablility to get geared up and to be ready to go as soon as we arrive on scene, seconds count when there are a possiblitly of victims trapped, ect. Just wait til your time comes, get yourself in the best shape as possible during that time, and as soon as your allowed, take as many classes and courses to get the qualifications you need. It takes time but there will always be more calls to go to. I wouldnt be disapointed to have calls canceled or turn out to be nothing, remember your pager goes off when another person is in danger or has a problem and it never goes off for a good reason.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Share your stories...
    By nitsua98 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
  2. Anyone else use an inverter in similar way?
    By confire in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 10:47 AM
  3. How many of us are in similar situations..........
    By stm4710 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 12:33 PM
  4. Mutts in Action...FDNY Memorial Ripped Off
    By PyroSlayer in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2002, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register