Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Mobile Cascade System

Anyone purchase one of these units in the last few years that can help with establishing some realistic costs would be appreciated. These seem to have a wide range of accessories that greatly influence prices. Any tips on particulars of whats absolutely needed to make this a diverse tool would be great.
    We are interested in a smaller unit since we only have 18 FF that pack up.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber mmcneill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fireharley View Post
    Anyone purchase one of these units in the last few years that can help with establishing some realistic costs would be appreciated. These seem to have a wide range of accessories that greatly influence prices. Any tips on particulars of whats absolutely needed to make this a diverse tool would be great.
    We are interested in a smaller unit since we only have 18 FF that pack up.
    Thanks
    We received an award this year for a trailer mounted Compressor/Cascade/Light Tower. FEMA reduced our grant from 89k to 60k. We had to put an addtional 5k with our match to be able to get a Scott Liberty 1 trailer. We went with that unit since it can easily be pulled by any of our brush trucks.

For us given our risks this was what we needed.

The unit is being delivered tomorrow. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bauer units are in the same price range (pricey). More economical route would be to purchase cascade and/or compressor and fill station assembly for install either in an enclosed cargo type trailer (something to be said for this as also can be rehab/IC post). Or if you prefer the compact walk around style get a 2wheel milspec trailer from DOD surplus (better yet a DOD powerplant trailer that already has diesel genset installed).

Whatever the option is going to be electic compressor (where is the power coming from) or a engine powered compressor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Whatever the option is going to be electic compressor (where is the power coming from) or a engine powered compressor?
    Don't know that answer. are there advantages either way?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have a compressor (vs just a cascade) you have annual upkeep (figure $1000). Engine powered is selfsufficient. Electric motor compressor (as std station unit) you need either a generator on the trailer (common as with the Scott or Bauer units. Generator powers the compressor and can also be used as mobile light unit. All costs $ Other options for electric compressor is you have shoreline electric hook at any station that you may visit to fill their cascade unit/SCBA cylinders.

You build up your own trailer unit (or have your distributor) you likley may be able to get the generator from DOD surplus. Certainly want a heavy/continuous duty genset not a Briggs powered set from the local big box store.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been wondering this, how does that work with a gas powered motor on a compressor and not be worried about CO from the motor?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Same way it doesn't affect the station compressors and all the dust/dirt/mold/exhaust: filters. Ideally you park it away from the big trucks enough that you won't have to change filters more than necessary.

So the new toy comes in tomorrow eh Mike? Fun, fun. Now you'll be able to handle that call increase that happened since I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    So the new toy comes in tomorrow eh Mike? Fun, fun. Now you'll be able to handle that call increase that happened since I was there.
    Yep....Kyle was having it lettered yesterday.

Calls did settle down a little...But since you left we have had 6 working structure fires. This should help with this years grant

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I want to know how close you came to my area while you were in Missouri. It had to have been close enough, compared to last year our runs have doubled for January and February.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcneill View Post
    We received an award this year for a trailer mounted Compressor/Cascade/Light Tower. FEMA reduced our grant from 89k to 60k. We had to put an addtional 5k with our match to be able to get a Scott Liberty 1 trailer. We went with that unit since it can easily be pulled by any of our brush trucks.

For us given our risks this was what we needed.

The unit is being delivered tomorrow. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
    Here are the pictures of our trailer. We will be put in service as soon as we complete training.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmcneill View Post
    Here are the pictures of our trailer. We will be put in service as soon as we complete training.
    Nice paint job but what's under the hood?

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Nice paint job but what's under the hood?
    A whole lot of STUFF!!

My phone sucked at taking pictures of the inside.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Is that because of the glare off of your big smile?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to give you an idea we were awarded a grant in 2003 for a high pressure system and 7 packs to go with. We got 34,500 for a 4 cylinder truck mount setup with the compressor in station. The compressor included two wall mounted cylinders and a frag chamber. It's all scott too hope that helps.

Forum Member

We were awarded a mobile cascade unit last year. We should take delivery in another week or so. We went with a 4 bottle 6000psi unit on a 7 x 14 ft enclosed trailer. The trailer will have an awning on one side for rehab. It will also have a generator on board as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flochief View Post
    We were awarded a mobile cascade unit last year. We should take delivery in another week or so. We went with a 4 bottle 6000psi unit on a 7 x 14 ft enclosed trailer. The trailer will have an awning on one side for rehab. It will also have a generator on board as well.
    Great news! Who was the maker and what costs do you have invested?

Forum Member

Fire Harley
    Fire Rescue help group in Alabama, The cost is around $35,000.
    They are many companies that build them, Breathing Air systems, Mako.
    hope this helps!
    Glenn

Anyone Have A Good Narrative That Was Approved In The Last Couple Of Years?similar To This Would Help. We Have Applied 4 Years And Been Denied Every Time. We Have A Rescue Truck We Want To Add A Mobile Fill Station To. Then We Would Also Like To Have A Compressor And Fill Station At The Station.we Have Between 65 And 80 Runs Per Year. The Closest Mobile Cascade Is 20 Miles Away. Any Sugestions?

Default Cascade

ANYONE HAVE A GOOD NARRATIVE THAT WAS APPROVED FOR A MOBILE CASCADE AND A STATIONARY COMPRESSOR/CASCADE. I HAVE BEEN TURNED DOWN 4 TIMES FOR AFG GRANTS LOOKING FOR SOME HELP/ADVICE.WE ARE A RURAL DEPT. ABOUT 65-85 RUNS PER YEAR. THE CLOSEST MOBILE CASCADE IS 20 MILES AWAY.MY EMAIL IS pr3410@avenuebroadband.com
    ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

any winning narratives for cascade/compressor out there. i need help! i have been turned down 4 diffrent years on diffrent equipment.we are a rural dept. with 65-85 runs per year. we want a mobile cascade on rescue and a compressor/cascade on station . e-mail help to pr3410@avenuebroadband.com

Thread Information