Thread: Supplements?

Forum Member

Default Supplements?

I have been working out and doing cardio for about 2 months trying to get my body back in excellent shape. I have been dropping weight like crazy but I am not yet seeing significant gains in muscle mass. The only supplements I am currently using is whey protein and a daily vitamin supplement.

I am really confused on what (if any) additional supplements I should use, there is so much conflicting info and studies out there on supplements that I am lost on whether any work or not. Since there is no regulation on the claims the manufacturers make, its hard to believe any of the statements.

Is anyone using a supplement other than protein where they see significant benefits?

Forum Member

Your supplements are fine, I wouldnt suggest any others. I use muscle milk collegiate as it has a TON of calories, carbs and protein since I have a hard time keeping weight ON.

Now, it is important for you to understand that it is not possible to lose weight and put on muscle mass at the same time. The body just doesnt work like that. This is why you will hear body builders say they are either doing their "bulking phase" or their "cutting phase". You can only do one at a time.

In your situation however, you should be seeing a lot of muscle toning and shaping going on.

MembersZone Subscriber

The question is Are you trying to look bigger or get stronger? Are you add weight each workout? If so, you are getting stronger. As a firefighter, you should be more concerned about strength, not size.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

Forum Member

Strength is definately up, I am making gains in my workouts (thank you CrossFit) but I am not seeing the mass develop as it used to.

I am sure my age may be a factor (39) but I would love to get the lean look back that I used to have. McDonalds, beer and t.v. took it away, just trying like mad to get it back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Food vs. supplements

I have tried creatine... it made me stronger... but I don't think it's worth it to the kidneys. But, I had to try it so I could answer questions like these. I wouldn't suggest it. More later...

Eat more protein, and your body will hang on to more muscle. Eat a fist size portion 4 or 5 times a day. See what happens. (Oh, drink lots of water!!!)

Jen
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-14-2008 at 10:05 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Carefully controlled studies over the short- (five days), medium- (nine weeks) and long-term (up to five years) have yet to demonstrate that creatine supplementation has any adverse effects on blood pressure, kidney or liver function in healthy individuals.

Of course, an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. The fact that large trials have yet to find any serious creatine side effects doesn't mean that none exist. There are isolated case reports of individuals suffering from kidney problems after using creatine . Anyone with existing liver or kidney problems, or those predisposed to such ailments, should seek medical advice before using creatine.

1.Schilling, B.K., Stone, M.H., Utter, A., Kearney, J.T., Johnson, M., Coglianese, R., Smith, L., O'Bryant, H.S., Fry, A.C., Starks, M., Keith, R., & Stone, M.E. (2001). Creatine supplementation and health variables: a retrospective study. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33, 183-188
    2. Poortmans, J.R., & Francaux, M. (2000). Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction? Sports Medicine, 30, 155-170
    3. Kreider, R.B., Melton, C., Rasmussen, C.J., Greenwood, M., Lancaster, S., Cantler, E.C., Milnor, P., & Almada, A.L. (2003). Long-term creatine supplementation does not significantly affect clinical markers of health in athletes. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 244, 95-104
    4. Pritchard, N.R., & Kalra, P.A. (1998). Renal dysfunction accompanying oral creatine supplements. Lancet, 351, 1252-1253
    5. Mayhew, D.L., Mayhew, J.L., & Ware, J.S. (2002). Effects of long-term creatine supplementation on liver and kidney functions in American college football players. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 12, 453-460
    6. Vannas-Sulonen, K., Sipila, I., Vannas, A., Simell, O., & Rapola, J. (1985). Gyrate atrophy of the chloroid and retina: a five year follow-up of creatine supplementation. Opthalmology, 91, 1719-1727

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kidney Function

I won't disagree with the above poster... period! Wow, you are well clad with studies, and your posts are great!

I will bare witness to the fact that several of my patients/training clients over the years, have tried creatine. Most of them tried it for 6 months. 10 of them that I could convince to do so had kidney function studies done before and after, then after again. 7 of those 10 had changes in their results, and didn't like those changes. 3 showed no change. So those 7 stopped using it, and got retested 6 months later. All 7 who went back and retested, tested back to where they started in the very begining 6 months after stopping.

That leads me to believe that the side effects, which may not affect all people, appear to go away relatively quickly... but it's still not worth the risk to me.

But, those are just 10 people, and there was no placebo double blind controled study. There could have been a multitude of variables that I or they could not or did not factor in...

It still leaves me with the same conclusion about supplements: chose them carefully. I prefer real, whole, organic food, plus a multi, Glucoseamine Sulfate, Gogi juice (another story entirely), and EFAs... and nothing else contrived. That's my opinion...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-14-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: forgot

MembersZone Subscriber

Dr. Jen, can you elaborate on your Goji Juice experience?

JC

Forum Member

Default Kre-Alkalyn 1500

I too was at a plateau when it came to increasing my strength and achieving more muscle mass . I had been taking 100% Whey and GNC's Mega Man Multi Vitamin for over 2 years. Then a friend told me about Scientific Fitness' Kre-Alkalyn 1500. Within the first months, I noticed my strength increasing and my weight going from 195 to 206. I definitly could see improved muscle mass. As with any creatine, be sure to drink a ton of Gatorade and water (just ask the black Underarmor bodysuit-wearing guy at last summer's F.W.F.D. CPAT!!!) After being on it for several months, I notice that I have slowed slightly in my mile pace time though.

Heres what Sci-Fit's website said about Kre-Alkalyn 1500:

Creatine monohydrate was a revolutionary addition to the supplement industry, Kre-Alkalyn® 1500 represents the latest evolution of scientific fine tuning. U.S. Patent# 6,399,611 illustrates that unlike all other creatine concoctions, the Kre-Alkalyn® 1500 ingredient will NEVER convert to the useless byproduct creatinine. This means no water retention, no stomach discomfort and no loading. Also noted in the patent were that all other creatine serums, juice or dextrose transports are 100% creatinine in as little as 43 seconds. You’d better start drinking fast! With zero creatinine conversion, Kre-Alkalyn® 1500 has nearly 100% absorbability. In fact, one two cap serving is the monohydrate equivalent to nearly 10 grams. Experience all benefits that creatine has offered over the last ten years, while leaving the large servings, bloating and stomach pains behind with Sci Fit Kre-Alkalyn® 1500.

But I'm getting off Kre-Alkalyn and BSN's No-Xplode at the end of this month because I'm going to Fire Academy at Tarrant County College in Fort Worth, Texas this summer. I figure the Kre-Alkalyn, No-Xplode, 3 months of live burns and the Texas summer heat are not a good combination for my body. I want to get back down to a cut-looking 195. Plus, I'm looking to improve my 1.5 mile time and overall cardio endurance before the CPAT in May.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Goji really want the truth?

I know it sounds nuts, but I'll tell it if you want to hear it. My Dog is an 11 year old Queensland heeler. He's my runner. I coach Lacrosse year-round, and so we are at the field most days. He trains my goalies to throw a long way. We have 3 goalies. He fetches each goalies clears for about 1/2 hour each week day that we don't have games. Plus we do a frisbee throw every morning for about 30 minutes. That means he sprints for about 2 hours every day on most days. He's a workin' dog- that shoudl all be fine. And he was fine until he was about 10, then he started acting like he was sore the day after he played, and he started taking every other day off. By that, I mean sore- needed help getting up to go outside to potty.

I started him on Glucoseamine Sulfate, 750/day and it seemed he was a little less sore. (He could stagger instead of crying on his bed to be carried outside). But, the help was not enough.

I have a really "crunchy" Berkeley friend who is a nutritionist/naturopath. We were often blabbing about our dogs, and how old they were. I had seen her Dog- nothing like my dog- really old, and crippled, barely able to walk. She mentioned one day when I worked on her, that her 14 year old dog was feeling great now that she had put him on this Gogi berry juice stuff. I laughed it off, and firgued she was a little fruity at usual.

BUT- the next time I ran into her in the neighborhood walking a dog... I didn't recognize him. He was so active, and giddy, I asked if she had a new puppy. No, she explained it was her old dog on Gogi juice.

So I tried it on my dog, and he doesn't appear to get sore any more. Then I figured I should try it myself. I have no idea if it helps me... I might just not be training hard enough anymore... but I feel great too.

So now I take it. I have no experience other than that. But, since dog's don't have any placebo effect going on, and it changed my dog's life, I figured it was good enough for me.

I don't usaully recommend something to people that I have not found alot of research on... but if I like it I will take it myself. I haven't done much research on this, so I don't tell people to take it. But, I take it. I don't do the multi level thing, and never will. I get it in the health food store... and always will.
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-16-2008 at 11:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my story. My wife started on it after seeing that it's one of the things I recommend to my athletes, along with a greens product and omega 3 fish oils.

She was complaining of feeling tired all the time and wondered if it would help her, so I said go for it. Next thing I know she's waking up at 7am and taking the dog for a run...everyday. Now that may not seem too crazy...but thats not my wife. She needs like 15 hours of sleep. Well not anymore.

My mother in-law is visiting from Ireland and has terrible arthritis. So much so that she was wheeled out of the plane in a wheelchair because she was unable to walk. Normally she walks but not a lot. So my wife started her on the acai berry stuff, and within a couple of days, she is walking the dog in the evenings for half an hour. Something she has never done and couldn't do before.

The dog is loving this stuff.

I've used Goji Juice before and am now experimenting with Acai 100 juice by Genesis Today. I like this version because it’s made from pure acai berries without any added sugars.

I mainly recommend it because the Acai berries are rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, and essential fatty acids. Plus, research has demonstrated that acai berries can help stave off certain types of cancers. I could care less about the MLM and get it at WholeWallet ( Whole Foods).

My personal experience... I use it along with a greens product and fish oils. Those are the only things I take. The same things I recommend to everyone and I feel pretty damn good.

Thanks for sharing!

JC
    Last edited by westchester47; 03-17-2008 at 01:04 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

In addition to your protein intake you should be supplimenting with several amino acids.

L-Carnitin is an essential amino acid (eaa) to the bodys ability to metabolize fat. You should take this in the am and about 4 pm. It enables your body to burn fat for energy instead of your muscle.
    L-Glutamin is an EAA which aids in muscle recovery and protection from metabolization. Basically, it protects your muscles from being used as energy.

Its not true that you cant put on muscle while leaning out. Its just that you can not do either very quickly while trying to do both. If you pick one, you see fast gains. Do both and its much slower. Furthermore, the only way to do both is to eat VERY healthy. Only good fats. Fish oils, Olive Oils etc... Mostly complex carbs... (100% multigrains). You need to eat tons of protein & extra calories on weight days and eat enough protein and less calories on cardio days. You will basically cycle between growth and fat loss on a daily basis. It takes longer, but it will happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Placebo effect

Firefuss is right... half of everything (medical treatments included) is a result of the placebo effect. People who think they are going to get an anticipated result most often times do just that. People who think they won't are pretty much doomed to fail... (slight exageration)

I personally agree with Fire fuss on everything said in the above post. I eat real food, and it works. Complete proetins: fish, chicken, prok, lean beef, egg white, lowfat cottage cheese, real food.

Dr. jen

Thread Information