Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: MEPS problem

Forum Member

Default MEPS problem

Hi all,

So my recruiter called saying I am permanently disqualified from MEPS. It's because of childhood asthma, I thought I handed in all the proper docs to make sure I am clear. What can I do next, I really cant let this be the reason why I dont join the AF. Thanks
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

You can apply for a waiver to get into the AF if you have not had any asthma attacks since, I believe, age 12. However, you will not be able to get into fire protection, since asthma is an automatic disqualifier for that job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock26 View Post
    Hi all,

So my recruiter called saying I am permanently disqualified from MEPS. It's because of childhood asthma, I thought I handed in all the proper docs to make sure I am clear. What can I do next, I really cant let this be the reason why I dont join the AF. Thanks

The Air force will do that too you. Talk to him, and ask him to see the BUMED or Authority letter to see the disqualification.

BTW, when was the last time you used an inhaler??
    Put the Wet stuff on the Red stuff and you will be successfull.

Hi I think this is a good place to ask for some advice.

I'm 26 years old in fire science rite now, and thinking about signing up for at least 4 years with the AF. I Really want to go to the AF FF academy and get the discipline and leadership skills in the AF but I've also been thinking paramedical or even sere at one point (I live out by Fairchild AFB). I know how tough it is to get into city departments these days also...

So, I guess I'm wondering if 26 is too old to join the AF (I don't have any military exp)..anyone out there join up that late? I know they accept 17-27..

thanks for any help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RnPaul08 View Post
    Hi I think this is a good place to ask for some advice.

I'm 26 years old in fire science rite now, and thinking about signing up for at least 4 years with the AF. I Really want to go to the AF FF academy and get the discipline and leadership skills in the AF but I've also been thinking paramedical or even sere at one point (I live out by Fairchild AFB). I know how tough it is to get into city departments these days also...

So, I guess I'm wondering if 26 is too old to join the AF (I don't have any military exp)..anyone out there join up that late? I know they accept 17-27..

thanks for any help
    no your not too old. there are plenty of people that don't join up after high school. you will have, however, probably someone that is 4 years younger than you as your boss.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedawwg2 View Post
    You can apply for a waiver to get into the AF if you have not had any asthma attacks since, I believe, age 12. However, you will not be able to get into fire protection, since asthma is an automatic disqualifier for that job.
    Not really the case. If speaking about AF firefighting, then a waiver to get in the AF also applies to the jobs. Asthma as a whole is a disqualifier for the military and if getting a waiver, you are waived. This isn't like a vision requirement etc which can vary, either you have asthma or you don't, if it is waived, you should be good to go.

If speaking about the fire service in general, each dept sets their own standards.

OP, you can apply for a waiver, but they are seldom granted. Make sure you get a copy of your medical records from childhood and get your own personal doctor to sign off saying you have not had an attack in x number of years. The docs at MEPS and BUMED, really won't do this leg work for you, the more information you can get supporting your case, the better chance you get. Good Luck.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by firedawwg2 View Post

Wait a year...they'll be screaming for people to join the service.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock26 View Post
    Hi all,

Well your recruiter dose not have any say so, on if you are medically able to join the military. The MEPS doc is the one to tell you that your not able to join the military for medical reasons. Just go see your doc and get a test for asthma. If you don't then show your recruiter the paper work. They sigin waivers all the time at MEPS.

MembersZone Subscriber

im a navy Corpsman and my current job is proccessing entrance physicals for all branches of service and current Bumed Regulations state you only have to report your medical history 5 yrs back on the DD2807 which is the Medical history form with all the bubbles on it, that being said if you havent had asthma problems in the past 5-10 yrs where youve had to use an inhaler it shouldnt count towards your entrance physical. and if you do ship off have an asthma attack in basic the worse that will happen is you will get an Entry level seperation, which basically means you had no military service so its neither bad or good you just end up back where you are.

as far as age limits in the military all branches have an age cap of 35 for active duty unless youve served on AD in the past then your yrs of AD can be subtracted if over 35

if you guys have any more Qs about this stuff feel free to shoot me an E-Mail at corey.doyle@med.navy.mil

Good thing's happening

What are the DQ's for AF Firefighting medically speaking ?

MembersZone Subscriber

there are no set Disqualifiers for your certain job in the service unless your planning on doing spec ops, a for the things that would DQ you from service, chronic asthma, heart problems, hearing loss, uncorrectable vision, flat feet and list goes on those are just some of the common ones if you have a specific problem you have a question about and dont want to post on a public forum hit me up on my e-mail listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRube View Post
    Wait a year...they'll be screaming for people to join the service.....
    Good luck with that. With the way the economy is going, the military is turning people away already. And if any of the services get cut to pay for Obamanomics, it will be the AF and Navy.

Update-didn't notice the date of the post I commented on, it's been awhile since I've been on the forums. I'll leave my response as rebuttal to the idea that the military is taking every Tom, Dick, and Harriet that knocks on the door.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 02-16-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Thread Information