Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Thumbs down Dumber than dirt!

I'm just venting a little about a situation that I ran into earlier this weekend.

So, I'm about thirty miles north of St. Louis saturday morning when I see a guy maybe 18-20 pull into a gas station with a blue light flashing in both front and rear windows, along with strobes in all four corners. Since I didn't see any emergency vehicles I turned into the gas station to offer my assistance, thinking that it was possibly some sort of medical problem. The kid ran inside still with lights flashing and went back towards the bathroom. As I was walking inside he was running back out. I asked him what the problem was and he said that his friend just called him and told him that his town just got a working fire and he was heading there from East St. Louis. I didn't think it was that big of a deal becuase it was probably in one of the towns near by. When I asked him what town he was going to he told me the name of a town 85 miles away!!! I quickly asked him if he was running his blue lights since he left St. Louis and if he was going to run them all the way home. He answerd yes!!! and didn't see what the problem was!!! I advised him that he best turn the lights off and slow down but he gave me the finger and said he had to get there.

Since I am heading back down that way this weekend and the town he said isn't that far from the route I take I plan on stopping in and having a talk with the chief.

You should have jumped in the car with him and made it 2-0 staffing.

I think that the new rule is - "If you must travel more than 30 miles running code 3, you must turn off your blue lights and turn on your violet ones."
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

It's dumbasses like this that give vollies a bad name. What a stupid f*cker.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Default A dumbass, totally!

He was travelling over 85 miles with his lights going? Man, that's crazy beyond words! I can't understand his logic. The fire was probably out by the time he got there anyway.
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

I had to really dig for a while to find this, but this story immediately made me think of this pic from an old thread here:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73343
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 03-03-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Reading things like this makes me glad my town doesn't allow the use of blue lights period.

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Given some of the ones I've met, he's typical of vollies.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Easy on the vollie bashing, the vast majority are much smarter than this kid. He apparently learned there will always be another fire.

As for the original question I wouldn't bother if no one noticed a problem when he showed up an hour into the fire with his lights going your not going to help. Also, i'd be willing to bet that he opened his mouth and told someone he made it home from st. louis in record time and if the chief officers are paying attention they'll handle it.

Now I have a question for everyone out there do you have regs how far out you can turn on your lights? We are allowed in town and with-in a mile if out of town.

We can "respond" from wherever, but we can't start running our lights until we are within our fire district.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Locally, we are not allowed to have any lights on POV. Even at Malahat, the only personnel "authorized" to have lights on POV were Chief Officers, and I never saw any from any of the other local stations in the region, or my own Chief ever put one on the car.

To each his own I guess. But an 85 mile one way trip???? What was he gonna do? Help wash trucks and drink beer later? SHEEESSHHH. OH OH.... I Know:

HE WAS GONNA HELP ROLL HOSE! YA! Thats it. heheheeeheheee
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Here you cant run your lights if you arent in our jurisdiction. Well we can run them in two neighboring jurisdictions that you might need to pass through to get to the station. (Here you only go on scene if the call is between you and the station, otherwise you go to the station for all calls)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

We are only supposed to run them in OUR district around here. If you are caught running them out of district, you can kiss them goodbye.
    Last edited by DFD211; 03-03-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by schlepter View Post
    Reading things like this makes me glad my town doesn't allow the use of blue lights period.
    My thoughts exactly. What a complete idiot this guy is. Risking his own life and those around him so he can try to play hero. I think people like this should be banned from using lights.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    No need for that. Maybe this is the case around you but it certainly isn't everywhere.

I guess there always has to be one who wants to start something.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

The rule of thumb is:
    "If you have to stop and use the bathroom while responding, you shouldn't be running with your blue-lights"

Rule for us is our local district and directly surrounding areas. No Interstates/highways.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Was the knobber wearing rubber boots or those really kool leather ones.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

He should start wearing daipers then he won't have to worry about making a bathroom stop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by labador View Post
    He should start wearing daipers then he won't have to worry about making a bathroom stop.
    Sorry, diapers are reserved for astronauts that want to do crazy things....

Forum Member

Sure he wasn't a member of Kentland responding 2nd due?

MembersZone Subscriber

This reminds me of a call I ran a few years back. We got tapped out for a motor vehicle accident reporting a high speed collision between a pick up truck and a semi. The semi was reported to be well involved and that there was entrapment with the pick up truck. I arrive second due on the ladder and find that the pick up truck had ran the light and side-swiped the semi at over 70 mph. The truck hit the saddle tanks. It took 30 minutes to cut this kid out of the truck. What did we find in the process? Lights, med kit and bunker gear inside the truck. This kid was running hot to call four districts away!

The kid lived. Story never made the news. This kid never even stopped by the house and thanked us for saving his a#$. In my opinion, personal vehicles should not be permitted to operate as emergency vehicles. Insurance companies should raise rates for those that choose to do so. The risk is to great for anyone to assume the risk and liability.

Thread Information