Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Exclamation

If I didn't know better, I'd say some people actually read this thread...
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Melba awoke to a room bright with sunshine. The rainstorm from the early predawn had long since passed. Eagerly, she gathered herself together in preparation for the day. She didn't know what was expected from her by the scientist working on the chemical defenses and weapons which they hoped to use on the Humacows. Melba headed outside of the small farmhouse, into a make-shift barn. Inside, in normal times, it would have been the resting place for a farmers horse and goats. Instead, in one lone stall, Lucky was resting upon his hauches. He lazily chewed at the oats that Melba provided him. He wasn't used to oats, but the taste somehow interested him, although he really wished he could have one of the sweet red apples that the Penguin defenders had given him on the transport to the farm. After checking with Lucky, Melba returned to the house to talk with the hosts. Jan and Frank had lived on the farm since they were married, twenty plus years ago. During the recent animal revolt by the cows and chickens, they had taken refuge in an antique atomic bomb shelter that had been built by Frank's family in the early '50s. For years, the locals wondered why Frank Sr. used so much concrete. Now, the shelter was being used as a small, isolated lab for the few remaining scientist that had escaped the waves of cow and chicken revolts. Frank despised chickens, and he also never had much use for cows. He disliked the way the animals never appreciated the hard work and effort that it took to keep them happy. Egg farming, and dairy products were never his favorite endeavors. Frank, instead, had invested in building a successful wool business on his family's land. Sheep were docile, and usually mild tempered. During the attacks, the sheep were overlooked because of their non-threatning posture. Frank had opened the gates of his pastures to give the sheep freedom, yet they had remained loyal to their "human family." The sheep took great self pride in seeing their wool used for clothing on the humans. They often mused about the wild colors and funny patterns that would adorn their once brilliant white wool. Now, the sheep stood fast, watching the pastures of their raising, and standing guard against any other invasion. Many sheep had eyeballed Lucky when he landed in the Penguin ship. It was a curiosity for them to see a camel.
    When Melba had made her way into the house, she found that Jan had cooked a full country style breakfast, complete with eggs, steak and biscuits. Jan smiled at her work. "It's alright, we have a huge freezer in the shelter. These are fresh, though. Scouts from those evil animals.." Melba thanked Jan for her hospitality. She appreciated the food. Being a cook herself, she was impressed at the flavor of the simple meal. The best part was the homemade marmalade. It was a mix of blackberry and orange, straight from Frank's Family farm.
    Soon, Melba would find herself deep underground. Beside the farm house, a small concrete well cover had revealed itself to be a stairway into a sloping shaft. Behind a huge metal door, another tunnel, brightly lit with industrial style flourescent lights, led downward at a gentle slope to another doorway. Melba's thoughts raced as she kept walking down into the shelter. The structure rivaled many of the bomb shelters that she had been in during her service to diplomats. Finally, she reached the doorway to the main chamber. There were guards posted at the entryway. As they opened the doorway, Melba stood with wide eyes. A beautifully decorated room, complete with wood panels and hand woven wool rugs welcomed her into the bunker. A small man in a white coat met her at the entryway. "Welcome, Melba! We've been expecting you!" The words were somewhat cold, but the expression showed joy.

not a bump, just adding "illustration"

*runs for cover*
    Last edited by firecat1; 05-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    Is this thing on?
    Check, check, check one, hello? Hello?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Check, check, check one, hello? Hello?
    Is anybody out there? Take the red pill to stay in Wonderland. I thought I saw a wabbit! Too much pepper makes me sneeze. I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet. Why are there white crayons? Goodbye sweet hat.

Dang-it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a musician..

Thread Information