Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Palm Beach Co, Fla Lt. KILLED in a shootout in Wendy's

Unfriggin believable!!!
    THIS is why I am getting a Concealed Weapons Permit!!
    According to the article, the Lt was on a break from training. Chances are, he was in uniform. What is the world coming to??

2 dead after Wendy's shooting
    WEST PALM BEACH — A gunman dressed in a jacket and tie burst out of a Wendy’s restaurant restroom at lunchtime today and opened fire, killing a fireman on his lunch break who had just returned to the restaurant to get his child’s toy.

The gunman then wounded four other people before killing himself, officials said.

The gunfire sent customers fleeing the restaurant. Motorists at the drive-thru window also fled, some leaving their vehicles running.

“This was not a robbery,” said Paul Miller, a Palm Beach County sheriff’s spokesman. “He didn’t demand anything ... Looks like this was just another random shooting like we’ve seen around the United States.”

Killed was a Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue lieutenant who was taking a break from training and met his wife and child at the restaurant, Deputy Chief Steve Delai said. His name was not released.

The 42-year-old man and his family had just left the restaurant when he returned to retrieve a toy his child had left behind. Delai said the man was shot in the back as he stood at the counter.

“It appears as though he was the first one shot ... and died immediately,” Delai said, adding that the man’s wife and child were still in the parking when the shooting broke out. “Our officer probably didn’t even see him.”

Miller said all the victims were hospitalized in stable condition, including a 43-year-old man, a 16-year-old girl, a 65-year-old man and his 62-year-old wife.

Several people were carried from the restaurant on stretchers. Authorities did not identify the shooter or any victims.

“I just saw a lady with a little boy in her arms come running out screaming, ’Somebody’s shooting!’” said Sandra Jackson, who had been getting gas across the street. The woman said her husband was still inside, said Jackson, 43, of Palm Springs.

The mayhem unfolded just after noon during the lunch hour rush at the eatery on a major suburban road lined with strip malls, car dealerships and fast food restaurants, about five miles from downtown West Palm Beach. A billboard advertising an upcoming gun show stands just behind the Wendy’s.

The shooter entered the restaurant and went to a restroom before coming out brandishing a 9mm handgun, Miller said.

Ashley Milton, 28, said she had just opened the door to get lunch when she heard the “pop pop” of gunfire and saw people running.

“I thought this can’t be happening,” she said. “You see your life flash before your eyes.”

Josh Maynard, 30, said he and his 20-year-old brother Jerry hit the floor when the well-dressed gunman opened fire. Jerry Maynard said the shooter held his gun sideways and said nothing.

The gunman went to the counter, Miller said, without saying a word, and shot the fireman before slowly turning to his left and firing on others. He then shot himself in the head and died on the scene.

About 10 to 15 people were believed to be in the restaurant at the time of the shooting, Miller said.
    When the shooting stopped, the Maynard brothers ran out of the restaurant. Josh Maynard’s blue jeans were torn and his brown leather boot was slashed, damage he said was caused by a bullet that grazed him.

“It felt like somebody kicked me in the foot,” he said.

Bob Bertini, a Wendy’s Inc. spokesman based in Dublin, Ohio, said the restaurant was cooperating with the sheriff’s office.

“This is a terrible and sad day for our restaurant and for this community. It was a senseless tragedy,” Bertini said.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

RIP Lt.

You and your family will be in my prayers.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Unfriggin believable!!!
    THIS is why I am getting a Concealed Weapons Permit!!
    According to the article, the Lt was on a break from training. Chances are, he was in uniform. What is the world coming to??
    Yeah unfriggin believable. What the hell is the world coming to if you can’t take your family to a restaurant and be safe? How very very sad.

I know how you feel but I’m not sure handing out more hand guns is the answer. (I’m sure I’ll take a beating here for that statement) Now if all hand guns had 16” barrels I would support that, pretty hard to hid under a coat.

Ugh. Makes me sick thinking about it. RIP Lt.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Horrible news. Thoughts and Prayers with the family and Dept.

Rest Easy Lt.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Update;
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A gunman in a jacket and tie wordlessly opened fire inside a Wendy's during the lunchtime rush Monday, killing a firefighter who had gone back to fetch the toy left out of his child's meal and wounding five others. The 60-year-old shooter then committed suicide.

"This was not a robbery. He didn't demand anything," said Paul Miller, a Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman. "Looks like this was just another random shooting like we've seen around the United States."

The 42-year-old victim, Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Lt. Rafael Vazquez, who was not in uniform, had met his wife and child at the restaurant during a break in training down the street, Deputy Fire-Rescue Chief Steve Delai said. The family had gotten their food and walked out, but Vazquez returned because the free toy was missing from the kids' meal, he said.

Vazquez's wife, a law enforcement officer in nearby Palm Springs, and child were in the parking lot when he was shot in the back as he stood at the counter.

"Our officer probably didn't even see him," Delai said of the gunman, Alburn Edward Blake.

Miller said Blake had no relation to anyone at the restaurant and had never worked for Wendy's, and authorities had not found any notes.

"We don't know why he picked this location to do this horrible deed," he said.

Vazquez had been promoted in January and was attending a course called "Strategy and Tactics" before taking his lunch break. Delai said the course teaches officers how to "manage large-scale incidents like we had today."

The mayhem unfolded just after noon during the lunch hour rush at the eatery on a major suburban road lined with strip malls, car dealerships and fast food restaurants, about five miles from downtown West Palm Beach. A billboard advertising an upcoming gun show stands just behind the Wendy's.

Blake entered the restaurant and went to a restroom before coming out brandishing a 9 mm handgun, Miller said. About 10 to 15 people were in the restaurant at the time, he said.

Ashley Milton, 28, said she had just opened the door to get lunch when she heard the "pop pop" of gunfire and saw people running.

"I really didn't think that's what it was. I thought this can't be happening," she said. "You see your life flash before your eyes."

Josh Maynard, 30, said he and his 20-year-old brother Jerry hit the floor when the well-dressed gunman opened fire. Jerry Maynard said the shooter held his gun sideways and said nothing.

The gunman went to the counter, Miller said, shooting Vazquez before slowly turning to his left and firing on others.

Three of the survivors were critically wounded, but all had improved and were hospitalized in stable condition Monday evening, Miller said. They included a 43-year-old man, a 16-year-old girl, a 65-year-old man and his 62-year-old wife. One person was injured while running away.

Motorists at the drive-thru window also fled, some leaving their vehicles running.

"I just saw a lady with a little boy in her arms come running out screaming, 'Somebody's shooting!'" said Sandra Jackson, who had been getting gas across the street. The woman said her husband was still inside, said Jackson, 43, of Palm Springs.

When the shooting stopped, the Maynard brothers ran out of the restaurant. Josh Maynard's blue jeans were torn and his brown leather boots were sliced, damage he said was caused by a bullet that grazed him as he lay on the floor.

"It felt like somebody kicked me in the foot," he said.

One customer kicked the pistol away from the gunman after he'd shot himself, then started first aid on the wounded, Miller said.

Bob Bertini, a Wendy's Inc. spokesman based in Dublin, Ohio, called the shooting "a senseless tragedy."
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My thoughts and prayers are with the Palm Beach F & R and the family and friends of Lt. Vazquez.

Rest in peace Lt. Rafael Vazquez.

The victim of the Wendy's shooting has been identified as a 42-year-old Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Lieutenant Rafael (Ray) Vazquez. Vazquez was on lunch break with his wife and child, said Deputy Chief of Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Steve Delai. Five other people were shot in the restaurant at lunchtime.

Vazquez's wife works for the Palm Springs Police Department. She was hired in 2000 as a dispatcher for Palm Springs Police. In 2005, she became a corporal and now runs the midnight shift. She was uninjured. She had just stepped outside to put their 4-year-old son in the car. Apparently she was at the front door. After hearing gunshots, she took cover behind another car farther from the shooting. The couple has a five children aged 4 to 21.

The gunman was Alburn Edward Blake, 60, of West Palm Beach. West Palm police searched his residence but found no note. Officials believe he was unemployed, but may have worked in maintenance.

The weapon identified as a 9mm Glock. It is one of the simpler designs in handguns and is popular for use by police forces around the world. It is capable of automatic fire, and the various models can carry 17, 19 or 33 shots, in a clip.

Delai said Vazquez apparently returned to the restaurant because a toy was missing from a meal and he was shot at point blank. He was dressed in civilian clothes.

Firefighters at the Royal Palm Beach fire Station, next to village hall, were reeling after learning a colleague so dedicated to his job, with such a bright future, was gone.

"He was a quiet man, and he wasn't a complainer," said District Chief Neil Enos. "I never heard him speak of a problem unless he had a solution to go along with it."

Enos said Lt. Vasquez was promoted in January and moved to the Royal Palm Beach fire station from Lake Park. He was in training Monday to prepare for the new duties that awaited him with his new assignment.

"He was an up and comer," Enos said.

Lt. Kevin Shaw said it was a difficult time to speak publicly about the station's loss.

"It's a private thing," he said. "The lifestyle inside the fire station is that it's a family. And then there's your outside family."

When pressed for more details, Shaw said of Vasquez: "He was a firefighter yesterday, and today he is dead."

Sandra Jackson of Palm Springs was filling her tank at the Cumberland Farms gas station across the street when the frantic customers began running out of the restaurant. Jackson said a woman rushed out with her young son, screaming that her husband, a firefighter, was still inside.

"I said 'what happened? what happened, its going to be ok,'" she said.

"She said, 'No there is a guy in Wendy's shooting and my husband hasn't come out.'"

The Fire-Rescue lieutenant, with Battalion 2, was promoted in January and was attending a required training nearby, from which he was on break. He was hired by the department in 2001.

Another firefighter who was on break witnessed the shooting and is receiving counseling.

The firefighter was apparently a floater at the stations in Battalion 2, which cover Royal Palm Beach, Loxahatchee and Wellington. Fire stations in western Palm Beach County were lowering their American flags to half staff, and employees there were visibly shaken. One firefighter at the station at Wellington Trace was being comforted by colleagues, before he broke away and asked them to leave him alone.

Paul Miller, Palm Beach County Sheriff's spokesman said the gunman came in through the south door shortly before 12:15, went to the bathroom and then came toward the center of the counter and "fired one shot directly at the lieutenant." He had two clips; there was one magazine on the floor and one in the weapon.

Among the other victims: A 43-year-old male was taken to St. Mary's Medical center and is in serious but stable condition. Two victims are at Good Samaritan Medical Center: A 16-year-old female who was shot in the arm and her mother, who may not have been shot. A 65-year-old male and 62-year-old female were taken to Delray Medical Center.

"We don't know the motive behind this," Miller said.

After the gunman shot himself in the head, Miller said a "hero kicked the gun away" and then started first aid. No employees of Wendy's were injured.

Witness Jerry Pritcherd, 20, of Fort Myers, said he heard a pop and didn't realize it was gunshots. He said he was "scared" when he heard about 20 pops and ran out. He said he was 10 feet away from the shooter, who he said was a tall man wearing a business suit.

Although one witness described the shooter as a former employee, sheriff s office and Wendy's officials said they had no information that he worked there.

A father and son, Richard and Richard Anon of Miami, were just leaving a John Smith Subs restaurant across Military Trail when they saw customers running out of the Wendy's. "We thought there was a fight in the parking lot. Everyone was just running out," said the elder Anon.

One man walking around the scene pointed to the tear in his jeans and bottom of a work boot, where a bullet grazed him.

"I was just sitting there eating a burger and the guy started shooting."

"Another random shooting like we've seen around the United States," Miller said.

Staff writers Don Jordan, Kimberly Miller and Kelly Wolfe contributed to this story.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Angry

My deepest sympathies to Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue and the Vazquez family for their unimaginable loss.

Sleep in the arms of the angels, Rafael.

F--ked up WTF this country coming to with all these damn shootings?
    Maybe we all need carry guns everywhere we go now days
    U cant go out to eat, go to school, go shopping without getting f-ing shot
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers for Lt. Rafael Vazquez, his friends, family, and dept.

Quote Originally Posted by dave29 View Post
    F--ked up WTF this country coming to with all these damn shootings?
    Maybe we all need carry guns everywhere we go now days
    U cant go out to eat, go to school, go shopping without getting f-ing shot
    You are right, it is F--ked up....and that why I DO carry a gun with me (legally) wherever I go.

may the Lt Vazquez rest in peace.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Yeah...The news here said the only reason he went back in is because the meal he got didn't have the toy in it for his kid.....RIP LT.

Forum Member

While the story is sad and the family and department have my sympathy...I can't help but notice the obvious media ignorance and bias in the story:
    The weapon identified as a 9mm Glock. It is one of the simpler designs in handguns and is popular for use by police forces around the world. It is capable of automatic fire, and the various models can carry 17, 19 or 33 shots, in a clip.
    Glocks capable of automatic fire? First I've heard of that...
    And Glock 17 means it carries 17 rounds? Wow... didn't know that either! Thanks for enlightening me, liberal media!
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

RIP Lt. Makes me sick. Thoughts and prayers are with the family and department.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Angry

This entire situation is disturbing.

I have met Lt. Vazquez on a few occasions at our station. He was the Rescue Lieutenant on the shift I am about to start. He was a great guy that will be missed greatly in the department, as well as by friends and his family.

My prayers go out to the rest of the department, as well as to his friends and family.

Rest In Peace, Lieutenant.

Horrible. Just horrible.

Mar. 4--District 10 Fire Chief David Jones did not know the woman kneeling and crying beside a young child at the side of the road was the wife of a fellow firefighter.

The woman, Michele Vazquez, didn't know the tears she was shedding in sheer terror would turn to those of personal grief for her slain husband.

Those realizations would come all too soon.

At that moment Monday, Jones was driving past the Wendy's on Military Trail and Cherry Road toward Station 24, slowing down to see what the woman with the child and a man standing a few feet away were watching.

The man told him someone inside the Wendy's was shooting people. And then, from behind the restaurant, another firefighter charged across the street to Jones' fire-rescue vehicle.

"He said the guy's shooting multiple rounds off. There are a lot of people hit and he had four down," Jones said. "He escaped when the man reloaded."

Jones jumped into action, calling in the first-level multiple casualty incident. It was 12:20 p.m. Then he set up the scene: incident command at the Wendy's parking lot, triage and two staging areas for transport.

It was 12:35 p.m. when a helicopter took off with the first of five casualties, he said. Two other shooting victims would be flown out and two taken by ambulance.

Two more would be removed by the medical examiner: Fire Rescue EMS Supervisor Rafael Vazquez, 42, who had just finished lunch with his family; and the shooter, Alburn Blake, 60. Vazquez may have gone back into the restaurant to retrieve or exchange a toy, authorities said.

Louis Rader, 65, of River Edge Road in Jupiter, was shot in the arm and leg, the Sheriff's Office said. His wife, Antonia, 62, was shot in the arm and ankle. They were taken to Delray Medical Center and were in stable condition.

Olga Soto and her 16-year-old daughter Vanessa are at Good Samaritan Medical Center in West Palm Beach, said Kachi Soto, Vanessa's sister. Vanessa Soto was shot in the arm while she and her mother were eating lunch, Kachi said. Her mother had no gunshot wounds.

The Sheriff's Office said a 43-year-old man was shot in the upper right arm and underwent surgery at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach. He was not identified pending notification of family.

At the scene, two of the firefighters who worked triage Monday knew Vazquez well.

"The saying is that this call doesn't wash off as easily because it's one of your own," Jones said, weary at the end of a long haul on a day that was not yet over. "We run on deceased persons all the time -- car accidents, gunshots -- but throw in one of your own.

"You realize we could've lost two guys as easily as one. And maybe a whole family. Even myself."

While recounting his day at his fire station on Okeechobee Boulevard several hours later, Jones took a moment to answer a call on his cell phone.

"That was my daughter calling to tell me good night," Jones said. "She's 13 and I have two boys. And your heart goes out to the family whose father is not coming home."
    Life is to short. RIP Brother.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Very sad...RIP brother and prayers to your family at home and at the station.

My thoughts and prayer are with the department, family, and friends. :-(
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

If anyone would like info on assisting the family or funeral arraignments you can go to our locals website.http://iaff2928.com
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information