Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need a good gym in northern Virginia

I've accepted a position as a firemedic at Fairfax county. I will be moving into the area around April 15. I am looking for a gym that would allow me to do olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and crossfit type workouts. I would definitely need a platform with bumper plates, allowing me to dump the weight from overhead. It would be good to have a glute-ham raise, bands, power rack, a chin-up bar that would allow muscle-ups, and a space large enough to allow kettlebell/jump rope circuits(I have my own pair of 28 kg bells). Plyo boxes and a straight path for walking lunges would also be a plus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would join a crossfit gym, but I am unwilling to pay $2000/year, or even $1000. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Crossfit Fairfax.

Their prices are a bit high, but you have access to stuff you wouldn't get at your local gym and you get a 25% discount for being a firefighter.

Goodluck

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com
    Last edited by westchester47; 03-04-2008 at 07:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply, westchester47. Unfortunately, when we move, I will be the only one working, and I will be supporting my wife and three y/o daughter. My wife will probably kill me if I spend $1000+ on a gym. The weekend warrior option for crossfit fairfax might be doable, if the discount is valid for that option. The type of gym I'm looking for does exist. Check out www.coliseumgym.com in Middle Village NY.

MembersZone Subscriber

Understand that my brother.

I like using the weekends when I'm off to train at different gyms rather than the one I train at. It just breaks the monotony of the same place, so I agree that might be a good option if you can apply the firefighter discount.

Sometimes those neat gyms are not very visible (usually located in the warehouse district of a city) but worth the effort and drive.

Goodluck

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You or anyone else in the area may want to check out Primal Fitness, a CrossFit affiliate in DC. It's accessible by Metro and right off of 395. Great setup, great people. They are online at www.primal-fitness.com

They also do 25% off for military, leo and fire.

As far as cost, the way I see it, I may be paying 1.5x I would be at your regular gym, but i'm getting 10x the workout everytime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    You or anyone else in the area may want to check out Primal Fitness, a CrossFit affiliate in DC. It's accessible by Metro and right off of 395. Great setup, great people. They are online at www.primal-fitness.com

They also do 25% off for military, leo and fire.

As far as cost, the way I see it, I may be paying 1.5x I would be at your regular gym, but i'm getting 10x the workout everytime.
    It looks like a lot of fun. The parkour training looks cool, also. The price may be a little steep while I'm in recruit school, but afterwards, it should be all good.

Thread Information