Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Conflict of Interest Question

Hey all.... Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but here it goes. I am currently a paid full time career firefighter and work 24 hours on and 48 off. I am kicking the idea around of running for county coroner. Is there any conflict of interest between me being a first responder firefighter and a coroner on my days off. I know that I will have to have a deputy for the days I'm at the station. What is everyone's opinions? Good idea, bad idea? Thanks for the input.

Forum Member

My personal opinion, and you how those are. I don't see a conflict of interest there. I don't think you could create business for yourself from one job to the other, unless of course you would neglect your EMS duties, which I doubt you would do. I doubt you would have control of either jobs budget fromt he other position. So I think you'd be fine.

On a side note we have an issue in this city where we have multiple FF and LEOs on the City/County Council. I have a real problem with people voting on their own pay raises, etc. If they were to recuse themselves from those votes I wouldn't have a problem with it. On the other hand it is nice to have people on the council that know what our job entails and what we NEED to be able to do it. All in all it's kind of a double edged sword.

We have a "law" or ordinance if you will that prohibits anyone working in (for) the municipality to hold an elected position in that municipality. So I have a call in to city hall to make sure there isn't a conflict as the county I am (possibly) running for has the municipality that I work for located in the county. If any of that makes sense.

I would say there wouldn't be a problem with it as long as you keep the current hat on you are wearing and not switch out all the time. For example, while working the FD job you don't switch hats and become the coroner.

Check with your Chief and the local medical directors before you do anything.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Firefighter, Coroner.... either way, you may be working with stiffs all day!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber JaredMTFD's Avatar

I don't see it as an issue as long as it doesn't interfere with your career job. I am a career FF and I still volunteer with my home department on my days off. As long as I show up for work on time and do my job, no one can say anything about what I do on my off days. Almost everyone here has other jobs and hobbies on their days off. If you want to be the county coroner and you can do it without compromising your current career, then go for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonz, to continue along that thought process, he could always try out for the Patriots..............
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

You can't kill people to drum up business. That could be unethical.

Forum Member

the only conflict I could see that would be a regular problem is body transportation. If your fire department is in the EMS business, and you have to transport a body to the medical examiner for an autopsy - who does the transport?

It may not be a problem now, but if your fire department has competitors or one comes along - that may bring up an issue?

That's the only thing I could think of.

Thank you guys for your input. It's greatly appriciated

I am a FF and on city council and recuse myself when I think there is even a hint of conflict. I'm open with all my fellow FF, council members and the public. They have asked for clarification on certain budget items if my chief isn't at council meetings, which is rare. We don't vote on pay raises, but we do vote on overall budgets.

It is kinda weird to be 1/5 the boss of my chief.

Quote Originally Posted by fire1035 View Post
    My personal opinion, and you how those are. I don't see a conflict of interest there. I don't think you could create business for yourself from one job to the other, unless of course you would neglect your EMS duties, which I doubt you would do. I doubt you would have control of either jobs budget fromt he other position. So I think you'd be fine.

On a side note we have an issue in this city where we have multiple FF and LEOs on the City/County Council. I have a real problem with people voting on their own pay raises, etc. If they were to recuse themselves from those votes I wouldn't have a problem with it. On the other hand it is nice to have people on the council that know what our job entails and what we NEED to be able to do it. All in all it's kind of a double edged sword.

From a moral standpoint, I see no issues. First responders are, in my opinion, very suited to serve as coroners but CHECK YOUR STATE'S LAWS.

Their word is the only one that matters.

Some states prevent public employees from holding elected office. There's also the Hatch act to consider if your county coroner is a partisan position.

Thread Information