Default High School Student Seeking Advice From Knowledgeable Firefighter.

I'm a junior in high school. I will be certified EMT basic before I graduate. I'd like to become a firefighter and still go to college after high school. I have a few questions.

1. How long would it take to earn an associates degree in Fire Science?
    2. Can I earn it online while also attending regular college (not community college)?
    3. Aside from Fire Science, what's another degree I could earn from a university that would help in becoming a firefighter?

Any advice on these questions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default University of Maryland

Check out the University of Maryland, College Park or University College. College Park (Main Campus) offers a degree in Fire Protection Engineering, a department of their engineering school. If engineering's not your thing, check out UM University College (located on College Park campus) for fire science (online or classroom setting), where you can earn a complete bachelor's degree in fire science.

The University of Maryland is located in Prince George's County, Maryland. The county fire department is known as one of the most unique and busiest in the country. It is a combination career/volunteer department and offers many live-in opportunities. There are a number of stations surrounding the University of Maryland which are reliant on live-in and non-live-in college students for staffing, and call volume ranges anywhere from about 4000-6000 calls per year, depending on the station. Check out www.cpvfd.org as well as the stations listed on the "links" page for more info.

Forum Member

Also check out Eastern Kentucky University.

http://www.fireandsafety.eku.edu/

http://www.fireandsafety.eku.edu/online.asp

There are several different major options here at Eastern. I currently an majoring in Fire, Arson, Explosion Investigation, but could easily switch to to any of the other fire and safety majors if I desire.

Send me an email at wade_munday1@eku.edu if you have anymoe questions, or if you would like to know the exact requirments to get a degree here.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Default reply:

I appreciate the advice. However, I have a few more questions about my particular situation. I'm planning on going to college in Boston (Suffolk University). This University doesn't offer a degree in fire science, but some neighboring community colleges do. I was planning on majoring in public administration or something that would be beneficial to becoming a firefighter. Is it possible for me to get my bachelors in public administration at Suffolk and, during my four years there, also get an associates in fire science from a near-by community college?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tduggan12 View Post
    I'm a junior in high school. I will be certified EMT basic before I graduate. I'd like to become a firefighter and still go to college after high school. I have a few questions.

1. How long would it take to earn an associates degree in Fire Science?
    2. Can I earn it online while also attending regular college (not community college)?
    3. Aside from Fire Science, what's another degree I could earn from a university that would help in becoming a firefighter?

Any advice on these questions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    As said above before, UM College Park is available for Fire Protection Engineering, but if you want actual fire science, University of New Haven offers fire science with concentrations in Arson Investigation, Fire Administration, as well as Fire Protection Engineering. They offer associates, bachelors, and certificates. Personally, i would not suggest you to get your associates, and go for a full bachelors. Here's my example why...

FDNY-6 months work experience or 15 credits for Firefighter
    30 credits for Lieutenant
    60 credits for captain
    Bachelors for Fire Marshall, Battalion Chief, Deputy Chief

Miami Dade Fire & Rescue-30 credits for Firefighter
    45 credits for Lieutenant
    60 credits for Captain
    Bachelors or higher for Division Chief, Deputy Chief, Fire Official

I say these because they're two of the most popular paid departments in the US. If i were you i would go for all 4 years to get my bachelors, just because it offers so much more in the future. I have a cousin on Engine 55 in New York, and he says if he could he would go back to school and finish up, because its very hard to make a living on the FDNY's base salary. I would go for a bachelors if i were you.

Also, if your getting an associates as a part time student which is what i believe you were hoping to do, i would suggest going to a college that has both majors you wish to study, and take either a double major or a minor. its quicker, and only one more class a semester.

Stay safe, brother.

Northside
    Engine Co. 32
    Engine Co. 34
    Squad Co. 36 Hazmat
    These opinions and views are my own and in no way connected to my department. Stay safe brothers.

Default reply 2:

thanks alot. I really appreciate it. does anyone know of any colleges that offer a bachelors in fire science or a related degree, or possibly have a link to a website that has a list of them?

Forum Member

I just went through the same decisions you are dealing with now last year (freshman in college now).

Just keep this in the back of your mind....
    What are you going to do if you get hurt on the job and all you have that is non fire related is a high school diploma??

That was the kicker for me to not get a 4-year in fire science or something along that line.

I am majoring in chemistry with a focus on pre-forestry and just continuing my firefighter learning and training through my department while I am in school.

Just my two Lincoln's
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Get a degree in business at whatever college you want to attend. Don't go to a four year firefighter or paramedic degree. They are not useful outside of the fire service. Most places require, as someone pointed out above, some college the amount or type is usually not a concern.

If it is many community colleges offer a fire science core curriculum, they also offer a certificate to anyone that completes the 5, 6, or 7 classes that make up the actual firefighting portion of the classes. They are literally all over the country.

Get your degree, start testing, and then if you want you can pick up the core curriculum classes somewhere.

Thread Information