Thread: Fire Engines

Forum Member

Thumbs up Fire Engines

This afternoon I witnessed first hand the skill it takes to manoever those beasts. This fire engine was coming up to a traffic light junction at full throttle (lights and sirens going). This particular junction has a little island in the middle of the road under the traffic light pole (still with me, right?) So anyway, as he approaches he has to overtake a push bike. I watched him coming up fast yanking desperately on the wheel trying to maintain control of the apparatus whilst trying not to smash head first into the traffic lights and also trying not to sideswipe the cyclist. (I happen to have been standing on said traffic island.) He pulled it off with ease and proceeded along the street to the tail end of a nasty traffic jam. Not only that but the cyclist didn't even pull over and stop! I don't know about you but if I had one of those babies on my tail (in such a situation) I'd be on the sidewalk quicker than you can say boo!
    It just made me think about the skill it takes to drive fire engines on a run. It sure takes more than police drivers cause appliances are at least three times the size of cars!
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Not to try to take the wind out of your sails there MaryJane, but that almost sounds like a normal "typical day" here in Washington, DC. Glad to hear that the driver managed to maintain control and not knock out either your or the dork on the bike. And yes, if the dork on the bike had any sense, he should have moved over and got out of the way.

Around these parts I near have heart failure every time I go for a walk at lunch time, becuase of pedestrians walking out in front of traffic, cars not stopping at red lights, or giving way for emergency vehicles. You stick around in here long enough, you'll likely get tired of my tirades about that. LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Yeah, I guess it is normal for you guys. I'm impressed though!

Oh yeah, I've seen that too. Cars all too regularly fail to stop at a red light. It's like amber is secret code for 'go as fast as you can!' I get quite scared crossing the roads, but I faithfully trust the drivers not to run me down!
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

Thread Information