Thread: Portable Radios

Forum Member

Default Portable Radios

I was wondering if any explorers have portable radios. If so do you have a guideline. My explorer post is going to try to get portable radios for communication. If you do have a guideline can you email them to me?

EXPCHIEF5E18
    mterzojr@rochester.rr.com

Forum Member

Smile

my post has portable radios
    are guidelines arecannot say that you are responding to a call
    can be used on seen to talk to other expls and advisor
    are used in training alot

MembersZone Subscriber

i dont see a point for having portables for explorers really. if they just want to listen get scanners, if for training, play with regular walkie-talkies for simulations.

not unless your explorers have serve some sort of functions on ems or fire calls the require them to be away from the scene and crews call them over the portable for whatever.

Forum Member

I'm not part of a post...just a trainee with the Fire-EMS.

My first thought was that radios would be a bad thing. Depending on your post size...the bigger the post...the more radios you would need. Most Fire-EMS radios are not cheap. Our's run around $500-$4000. Who would pay for the radios? Not many explorers would have the money to dig out 500 bucks just for a radio. That 500 bucks could be better spent by buying things like: safety glassess, pants, shirts, and other "explorer" related stuff. Also, keep in mind...pretty much anything said over the air (with a few exceptions) can be heard by the public on a radio scanner. Don't take the risk of an explorer 'accidently' saying something bad on the radio that gets the Dept. in a whole truck-load of trouble.

Second, lets say that some how you did manage to get all your explorer radios! Yay! STOP. What are you going to do with them?

"I/We're going to use them for training"

Training, what type of explorer related training would need radios? As far as my "training" has gone...I've never needed a radio. An explorer isn't going to be in a structure fire or a dangerous scene where s/he would need a radio.

And just one more thing...I'm going to assume that if you were training that the explorers would be generally "close (if you will)" to each other...not far away. A good alternative might be a set of good walkie-talkies, unfortunately the general public could get on the 'channel' that you are on and "take over"

Just a few of my thoughts, wheter you get radios for your post or not...good luck! Hopefully you'll find a good solution. Keep us posted
    -COURAGE-VIGILANCE-DUTY-HONOR-
    Fort Worth Fire Department

Learn your job
    Educate your team
    Appreciate their efforts
    Double your own efforts
    Earn their respect
    Return it to them

Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified, Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go!

---Joshua 1:9

Forum Member

Negative. Hell we barely have enough to the Senior members of the dept, but that is a totally different issue. If you guys want radio's, my advice would be just go to out and by those little Cobra FRS or whatever the heck they are called. Nowheres near as expensive as normal portables and perfectly good for what you will need them for. Do you guys really need portables?? What do you guys do that requires you to have portables?
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Only line officers get portables here. There are a few radios on the trucks for the guys to take when they're on the call, but not to take home. When you turn 16 and are accepted to the company as a Junior member, you're given a pager. But that's about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBaptist View Post
    I'm not part of a post...just a trainee with the Fire-EMS.
    Like you said, just a trainee.

We have them and they are not issued to the explorers. They are kept by the advisors until they need to be used for training or whatever. We can also request to use them for PR events and stuff like that. The dept has a bunch of old radio straps that they dont use anymore (different radios) and our portables hae remote mics (most of them) so it works out nice.

Our guidlines for portable use are pretty much your run of the mill guidelines for talking on the radio other than that.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Chances are that if explorers are buying radios, they are NOT regular public safety type radios. I'm guessing FRS/GMRS or MURS type radios you can get at walmart and radio shack.

Can you explain why explorers SHOULDN'T be using radios at training? If there is a situation at an incident where radio communication is utilized, then why shouldn't they be utilizing it in training. When I run drills for our explorers, they are expected to be just as equipped as they would be at a real call, if not more so. For primary S&R, hose line advancement, water supply, pump operations, and traffic control, radio communications are a critical component.

Sure they aren't going to be on a primary S&R team as an Explorer. But this is training for life and in a few years, they'll all have huge head start on a regular proby. And even as an explorer, there are on-scene situations where they are expected to communicate on the radio with everyone else. They will have the skills to do so properly.
    Last edited by nmfire; 03-20-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Smile

our training that we do use the radios for is like search and rescue and for like medical skits and our advisor is them refered to as central or their unit numbers. we have our own unit numbers to use so on a big serch and rescue in the two state parks we have by my town we can communicate with any of our advisors. and our radios are low watt radios so they dont transfer all the way to indy or ky. like the bigger radios do that the department use. only the senior expls have radios that we got by bilding trust that is all it is is building trust with the department members. yea so my post is small but this is how you learn more and have more hands on experince. the new expls only get a pager through building trust with the department and senior expls.
    creager8103

Forum Member

I agree with nmfire. Training is probably the best spot of all to be using portable radio's. It gives the young folk a good chance to practice proper radio procedures etc and that will allow them to be one step ahead when they get into the regular side of the dept.

Would I suggest getting radio's solely for training. Hell no. That is just a waste of money. I'm sure if your on the good side of the dept they will allow you to use some radio's to run your drills. Juniors, if your allowed to respond, do not require a radio on scene because your either with a Sr firefighter or in the rig.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

god

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=ndvfdff33;934016]I agree with nmfire. Training is probably the best spot of all to be using portable radio's./QUOTE]

I agree that radios (probably not ones that using actually Fqs in emergency's (GMRS, etc) should taught in training scenarios -after all, they're kind of important...

Forum Member

I should add that for both incidents and training, our Explorers uses the regular fire department radios on our regular fire department channels.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Go to Radio Shack and buy your post some "talk around" radios. I bought some for my cadets. They have a radio, they learn proper radio communications, and how hard it is when more than one person has a radio.

Forum Member

I'm repenting and being a good little boy from now on

Anyway, we have the radioshack radios for training and when we get called up to help with whatever. It's a small town so they work well. In a larger city... mabye not SUCH a good idea.

Forum Member

As a junior firefighter i believe that we need radios in that if we are at an emergency and the IC has to give an evacuation order to everyone at the scene who is in the collapse zone, everyone needs to hear it! not having radios is a safety issue. As for talking on the radios i believe that you shouldn't need to talk unless you are instructed to or are called over the air by a senior member or a dept officer. Talking on the radio should be done on non-dispatch channels. Juniors are an essential part of fireground operations and should be treated like all other firefighters. As for explorers, thats a whole different issue and no they shouldn't have radios. Any use of radio by any junior member should be done responsibly!

Forum Member

everyone in our department has a radio or access to one and the guidlines are pretty simple
    -only the officers talk on the radio
    -dont talk unless called specifically
    -the only time you are permitted to talk other wise is if there is some life saftey issue
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957 View Post
    As a junior firefighter i believe that we need radios in that if we are at an emergency and the IC has to give an evacuation order to everyone at the scene who is in the collapse zone, everyone needs to hear it! not having radios is a safety issue. As for talking on the radios i believe that you shouldn't need to talk unless you are instructed to or are called over the air by a senior member or a dept officer. Talking on the radio should be done on non-dispatch channels. Juniors are an essential part of fireground operations and should be treated like all other firefighters. As for explorers, thats a whole different issue and no they shouldn't have radios. Any use of radio by any junior member should be done responsibly!
    I don't know where you get that "juniors are an essential part of fireground operations", but you are wayyyy off base with that one.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

I can't believe I missed this one...
    If an evacuation order is given, you're going to hear at least one engine on scene blow the air horn anyhow... That's a universal signal for "Get the Hell Out!". You don't need a radio for that. For your collapse zone... 90% of the work I did (on this fire... http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ire%203-20-08/) was out side of the collapse zone changing air bottles for at least 40 minutes while I was there. If an evacuation was given, I can guarantee you that there would be more than one unit blowing off its horn... There was 4 engines and one truck on scene - I'm willing to bet that at least 3 units would blow their horns. If you can't hear that, you don't belong on a fire scene or inside the "hot zone" to say the least.

Juniors/Explorers not have radios is no where near a safety issue unless your hogging up a radio that a firefighter doing overhaul inside the structure could be using to tell command that they need some water to cool off a hot spot.

And why is it an issue for me, but not you? That doesn't make sense as does 80% of your post. You're no better than I am and Juniors vs. Explorers is no ****ing contest - You're trying to make it one and I'm going to advise that you don't - Be mature and professional about it.

Will... Jake... Ryan...? Comments?
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Will... Jake... Ryan...? Comments?
    I already said my piece. (see above post) His logic is twisted, however, and I'm sure it feeds right into his complacent ego.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

I wasn't going to post on this guy originally but I re-read his post and just couldn't help it.

I'll just cover a couple that stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957
    i believe that we need radios in that if we are at an emergency and the IC has to give an evacuation order to everyone at the scene who is in the collapse zone, everyone needs to hear it!
    You shouldn't be there in the first place, so your argument on that goes right out the window.

As for talking on the radios i believe that you shouldn't need to talk unless you are instructed to or are called over the air by a senior member or a dept officer.
    You shouldn't be anywhere on a fire ground unsupervised so you shouldn't need to talk on the radio anyway. That's what the Senior FF or Officer watching you should be doing. Unless he collapses you have no reason to talk on the radio.

Juniors are an essential part of fireground operations and should be treated like all other firefighters
    No, actually Juniors are NOT an essential part of fire ground operations. The fires still get put out if your not there. Hate to break it to you.

As for explorers, thats a whole different issue and no they shouldn't have radios.
    Well done on trying to start a ******ing match pal. That statement alone tells me you have no need to be on a fire ground.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-30-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

There is nothing that I can say at this time that hasnt been said.

As I shake my head in disbelief
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

As a junior firefighter i believe that we need radios in that if we are at an emergency and the IC has to give an evacuation order to everyone at the scene who is in the collapse zone, everyone needs to hear it! If you are a junior, and are in the collapse zone, your fireground incident commander needs to be locked up and charged with child endangerment.not having radios is a safety issue.Juniors should be seen and not heard. As for talking on the radios i believe that you shouldn't need to talk unless you are instructed to or are called over the air by a senior member or a dept officer. Talking on the radio should be done on non-dispatch channels. Juniors are an essential part of fireground operations and should be treated like all other firefighters.So you should be allowed to operate in an IDLH environment? I should send you to the roof to do a trenchcut? I should have you on the knob? Wake up junior. NO F*&%ing way. As for explorers, thats a whole different issue and no they shouldn't have radios. Any use of radio by any junior member should be done responsibly!And that is to say, not at all.
    Another one-month wonder heard from.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Honestly we don't need them except for training, IMO.

Forum Member

A lot of the officers are getting ****ed around here because the explorers and juniors always grab radios, and have them on full blast. So when an officer keys up, there's so much feedback no one can hear anything. They don't have a problem with the explorers/juniors grabbing them, but they want them to have them off or on as low as possible.

If there's enough portables, I think the exp/jrs should have them. Just, they shouldn't talk unless talked to, or something important has come up. One time I was hitting the hydrant around a corner, and didn't have a radio avalible. So once I connected, I had to get to the opposite corner to see the blue light on the truck that means charge the 5". Well, from the time I got to the corner, saw the light, and got back to open the hydrant, another truck had accidentally backed over the hose, and broke the connection. So I didn't hear the radio saying not to charge the hydrant, as they were trying to run a new length the the truck. In the end, their bed got charged, and our engine didn't have a water supply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerLt1991 View Post
    Honestly we don't need them except for training, IMO.

We NEED them?

Thread Information