Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default NIMS 300/400 and TtT classes

Are there any Federal agencies (NWCG, etc) who provide NIMS 300/400 certification? Here in Texas, it's a huge PITA to find a 300/400 class my volunteers can attend, because they all seem to be offered during the week.

It would be SOOOO good if somebody in Texas woke up and started offering these classes on weekends.

I've completed all my NIMS requirements, but I'm a paid Firefighter, and I got paid to sit in a station and do the online classes, then I got paid to take a week-long 300/400 class. Texas requires me to take a NIMS TtT class, apparently because the EMS and the Fire Commission Instructor certifications I've held for years aren't good enough.

I would like to find some agency who will recognize instructor certifications OTHER THAN THEIR OWN and allow me to teach my folks and my neighboring departments on the weekends, when they're all available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Default The FEDS

DHS Center for Domestic Preparedness will come in and teach these classes for free (they do offer weekends too). Also, any classes that are taken in Anniston, all accommodations are paid for. I think this number will get you were you need to be. Rick is who we deal with, he can probably give you some direction too. Also, check with your State Emergency Management Agency.

As far as being an Instructor....for NIMS IS 700 there is no T-t-T. If you download the Instructors guide it tells you the requirements (which you probably meet). Same thing for teaching ICS 100 & 200. It doesn't start getting "harder" to teach until you get to the ICS 300 & 400 classes. The main difference then is your experience in the ICS system and taking the T-t-T. I will caution you, in IL, all 300 and 400 training must go through the State EMA. So just by taking the T-t-T doesn't mean all of a sudden you are blessed...now the feds may look at that differently.

I am sure since this is a NIMS topic, there will be a ton of bashing going on, arguments, etc. If you have any other questions or need help getting a hold of CPD, PM me and I will be glad to help if I can.

Center for Domestic Preparedness

61 Responder Drive

Anniston, AL 36205

Office 866-213-9547

Rick Schlegel <SchlegelR@cdpemail.dhs.gov>
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sure since this is a NIMS topic, there will be a ton of bashing going on, arguments, etc.
    Absolutely correct...and the arguments are (as I'm sure you're aware) completely irrelevant. I'm have no problems with the justification for 100, 200, 700, and 800; most of my people probably spend enough time on their personal computers at home in the evening to knock these classes out with no problems...if I could just get them to DO IT.

My problem is that I can't find a 300/400 class on the weekends locally. So, I've decided to teach 300 and 400 myself. Unfortunately, the Governor's Division of Emergency Management (here in Texas) has decreed that regardless of how many instructor certifications a person holds, or how long they've been teaching emergency service providers, that they MUST attend a TtT class, and then there are a couple of other strings attached (and the exact details escape me at the moment).

I can teach the class, and I can teach it on a schedule that will allow my local folks to attend (which is...golly...important). I just need a certifying organization who's not going to require me to take a couple of shifts off work to take ANOTHER instructor class.

thanks

It is the same way here as far as the State goes. The TtT class can be taken by CDP, but as I stated before, all 300 & 400 classes must go through State EMA...can't just do your own classes whenever you want. I also understand the fact of getting classes other than M-F 0800-1700 to get everybody in. If Tx allows you to do your own classes once you have had the TtT...then I would definitely get in touch with CDP...I believe the class is L449 (I think it is 4 days). They are getting ready to teach it in my area.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Quote Originally Posted by preyn2 View Post
    Are there any Federal agencies (NWCG, etc) who provide NIMS 300/400 certification? Here in Texas, it's a huge PITA to find a 300/400 class my volunteers can attend, because they all seem to be offered during the week.

It would be SOOOO good if somebody in Texas woke up and started offering these classes on weekends.

I've completed all my NIMS requirements, but I'm a paid Firefighter, and I got paid to sit in a station and do the online classes, then I got paid to take a week-long 300/400 class. Texas requires me to take a NIMS TtT class, apparently because the EMS and the Fire Commission Instructor certifications I've held for years aren't good enough.

I would like to find some agency who will recognize instructor certifications OTHER THAN THEIR OWN and allow me to teach my folks and my neighboring departments on the weekends, when they're all available.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Let me know when (if) you start teaching these classes. I just might drive to Austin (it's not that far away).

On a side note.....I think that the SFFMA web tech. is overwhelmed. We all should start e-mailing the director and asking about it.

On a far left sided note..........At least they have a cool t-shirt now!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't even find a 300 class in my state!

Thread Information