Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DRCOG Test

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DRCOG Test

Hi all,

I am new to this site and will be taking the DRCOG test in Denver in a couple of months. It'll be the first time I've taken it and wondered if anyone could give me any ideas of what to expect and how best to prepare? Is there a lot of mechanical questions on there or is it a lot of psych stuff? I ordered their study guide and have bought Barron's FF exam book, but if anyone has done it before and could give me any pointers that would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is comprised of all those areas. So study the Barron's manual and also the study guide that you get from DRCOG. The DRCOG guide is very small, and only gives you a brief idea of the format of the questions. So while it helps somewhat it is not going to get you ahead. Not that is should in the first place.

Also the departments that take part in DRCOG only use it to make up a list. As I understand it (and how it was expained to me from those with in the various Department's HR)the Departments ask for a list of candidates in the following fashion:

1: List candidates with scores above X% --> if too large then narrow it down
    2: List candidates with #1 and EMT/FF1 --> if too large then narrow it
    3: List candidates with #1 & #2 and experience --> Still too large...
    4: List candidates with #1, #2, #3 and Paramedic.

I have found that most departments get a list that is large at the onset so they ask for item #2 and beyond. If you have those certifications then you are on better track then just taking the exam by itself. If not then it can be a waste of time and money until you have FF1 and/or EMT at the least.

I am not trying to discourage you, just telling you how it has been explained to me from those who are in the local departments and know how the process works.

Good luck on the exam and happy studying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

one last thing...

Know your grammer for the english language. There will be questions asking you to identify specific problems in sentence structure, or spelling. As for the psych questions...those are typical on most exams these days, and arn't any different from any other questions that I have taken on exams.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am taking an EMT-B class at the moment and should be certified well before the test. I haven't got my FF1 yet, but that's next on the "to do" list. I've already paid the fee so I'll give it a shot this time around and at the very least it will be good practice.

Thanks very much for the pointers.

Thread Information