Forum Member

Default Grants for fire-school?

Does anyone know if there's a grant program out there for fire school? My dad was a police officer for 18 years and my mom has been a dispatcher since she was 17. I dont have any family in the fire service and my dad didn't die on the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TMWight View Post
    and my dad didn't die on the job.
    This is a strange statement!!!!! Care to shed some light on it?
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    This is a strange statement!!!!! Care to shed some light on it?
    Probably didn't mean to word it that way -- there are a lot of monetary programs out there for children of LODD, whether it's fire or police related.

Back to the question -- are you talking fire academy or a college with a fire program such as UNH, UMD, Oklahoma, Eastern K, your local community college, etc.? If it's the latter, the IAFC Foundation has a scholarship program as does NFPA and some fire groups in NY for those from NY. There are a couple others out there, too. Sometimes it depends on what you're studying, i.e. engineering vs. everything else.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Probably didn't mean to word it that way -- there are a lot of monetary programs out there for children of LODD, whether it's fire or police related.

Back to the question -- are you talking fire academy or a college with a fire program such as UNH, UMD, Oklahoma, Eastern K, your local community college, etc.? If it's the latter, the IAFC Foundation has a scholarship program as does NFPA and some fire groups in NY for those from NY. There are a couple others out there, too. Sometimes it depends on what you're studying, i.e. engineering vs. everything else.
    Sorry that was a strange way of wording it.

I am talking about the fire academy. I live in Florida with 35 training facilities in the state and about 80 cadets graduating from each one every year so the jobs are scares. I start paramedic school in August and shouldn't have a problem getting a job after that and have them pay for fire academy, but if that doesn't happen than I have no way to pay for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TMWight View Post
    Sorry that was a strange way of wording it.

I am talking about the fire academy. I live in Florida with 35 training facilities in the state and about 80 cadets graduating from each one every year so the jobs are scares. I start paramedic school in August and shouldn't have a problem getting a job after that and have them pay for fire academy, but if that doesn't happen than I have no way to pay for it.
    How are you paying for Medic school?

Take out a student loan if you have to.

If you want the job, you'll do what it takes.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talk to the financial aid office at the college that the academy is associated with. There are scolarships and grants that they know about.

Forum Member

Thanks for you help guys.

makes good girls go bad

Where in Fla are you?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Where in Fla are you?
    Port Richey, near Tampa. My mom actually dispatched for Bervard County years ago when there were forset fires.

Thread Information