Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfpa

Forum Member

Default Nfpa

Anyone heard of a couple of congressmen that are gaining support to either abolish it or at least put firefighters back in control of it by putting it under the control of the USFA???

How can they "abolish" something they have no control over?

And Firefighters were never in control of NFPA. It's always been a separate, private organization.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA= Not For Practical Application
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

MembersZone Subscriber

???? it is a private organization not a goverment agency so it cannot be put under the USFA, beside it sets standards not laws.

Forum Member

Ok. Let me explain a bit more...

I am well aware that the NFPA is a private organization and is not under the control of the federal government, ie, the reason why these congressmen want to have it under the control of the USFA, where in my opinion it belongs. Secondly, the abolishment portion, is meant that the so call standards the NFPA sets, are becoming ridiculous, and that the only people benefiting from these standards are the vendors that just so happen to be the ones writing them. These congressmen understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE for any ONE fire department to follow all of the standards, and the fact, while these may only be STANDARDS, they are in fact used against you as if they are law, when you and your fire department are being sued, which I"m sure most of you are well aware.

This is what I was asking, if anyone else has heard of this happening???

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FD1111 View Post
    is not under the control of the federal government, ie, the reason why these congressmen want to have it under the control of the USFA, where in my opinion it belongs.
    So you want to take an organization that is absurb and teetering on the edges of inefficient and place it under the control and grasp of people who shell out trillions of dollars for pet projects of their own, are barely efficient and takes 2 years to decide what color ink is going in the new printer?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Sounds about right for Congress. They say we will be paying 4 bucks for a gallon of gas by the summer, my mom pays an absurd amount of money per month for health care and Congress is worried about whether or not Roger Clemmens took drugs, if the Patriots video taped another team and the NFPA. Perfect!

Forum Member

Thumbs down Wait

If you don't like NFPA now just think what it would be like if Congress got it's hands on it. Here are some other great ideas out of Washington. IRS, OSHA, EPA............... Reminds me of the old saying.. I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help. Nope, not for me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    So you want to take an organization that is absurb and teetering on the edges of inefficient and place it under the control and grasp of people who shell out trillions of dollars for pet projects of their own, are barely efficient and takes 2 years to decide what color ink is going in the new printer?
    So who, if anyone, should it be placed under the control of, or should the NFPA just be done competely away with??? I would be more than happy to see that happen, because I agree with you, that the NFPA has become absurd and has already gone beyond being efficient.

Forum Member

They will never be done away with to many hands in the pie. Keep in mind its all about money they say safety I say money. The only reason the goverment would get envolved they must feel there is some way of making more money if it where in there hands for some reason. Just maybe the vendors are pushing for it then it can become goverment contracts for the vendors. Its allllllllll about the money.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FD1111 View Post
    So who, if anyone, should it be placed under the control of, or should the NFPA just be done competely away with??? I would be more than happy to see that happen, because I agree with you, that the NFPA has become absurd and has already gone beyond being efficient.
    If NFPA is done away with, do you propose that the USFA take over writing all standards for the fire service? Do they even WANT to do that? And where would the funding come from if the standards were written by the government-funded USFA?

Not a lot of people have use for the NFPA, but like it or not, having some standards does help. Without 1901, we all just get to build whatever kind of rig we want with no emphasis on safety or design? Without 1500, how do we justify new turnout gear and other safety-related items?

Many people forget that NFPA does more than just effect us, the field personnel. How about NFPA 1, 70, and 101? These are standards that effect you every day in every business and establishment you go into. When you abolish the NFPA, who will you task with overseeing plans review, life safety, and other fire prevention tasks?

Sure, the NFPA might seemingly complicate things now and then, but 50% of each NFPA committee is there to see that the other 50% (the manufacturer's reps) don't go completely overboard on things.

One final thought: ANYONE can apply to serve on NFPA committees, and ANYONE can comment on any NFPA standard or proposal. I wonder how many people on this forum have taken the time to do either of these? I know I have.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 03-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Default My 4 cents worth.. Deputy Chiefs pay a little more!

Worry about tthe crap that happens in your own FD before worrying about the NFPA.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Worry about tthe crap that happens in your own FD before worrying about the NFPA.
    Amen to that
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

You know Gonzo, I have and am worrying about my FD...These new standards that have been coming out, are hitting us in the back pocket. So everytime NFPA comes out with a new standard lately, it costs us MORE to buy equipment, and the more it costs to buy equipment, means less that we can spend on staffing.

And BoxAlarm, I understand that anyone can apply to be on a standard committee, but if you don't have a bunch of letters after your name, or are an engineer, or a vendor, you are more than likely to be over looked. We can and do have the ability to voice our opinions on up coming standards, but that does little good anymore. Example is the latest standard for bunker gear. There were alot of comments and alot of people saying No to the standard, but NFPA rolled it out anyway. The other is the new 1404 on air management, this standard just put staffing levels back in the spot light. While I would love to have more personnel on shift, it's just not going to happen. Cities are going back to pre-911 days and are trying to find ways of cutting FD budgets again. Plus the liabilities that 1404 are putting on FD's are going to force them into minimal interior operations, regardless of staffing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    LMAO I got a kick out of that. 2 yrs for ink, frikkin hilarious, and true.

Forum Member

This will probably go over as well as Truman putting the United States Gov't in the steel business.

Thread Information