Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shib's Law

Default Shib's Law

I'm sure y'all heard about this, but it makes me happy!!! This story doesn't say that it was actually passed today, but a friend from Coello just told me that it did pass into law today. So it's a good day!!!

SPRINGFIELD - The Illinois House Fire Protection Committee approved legislation Tuesday to provide emergency personnel working alongside Illinois' roads with improved safeguards.

The measure was drafted in response to an accident that claimed the life of Sesser firefighter James “Shib” Miller last July.

“We too often forget that the safety of our communities is only possible because of the selfless actions of emergency workers who devote their lives to protecting our friends and families,” said state Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, sponsor of the legislation. “I believe we owe it to them to make sure that their work environment is exactly what they need it to be in order to perform their jobs effectively and safely.”

Under House Bill 4131, emergency personnel, including firefighters, would be able to close any roadway necessary while they are working in emergency situations.

Shib's Law was requested by Sesser firefighters as a way to honor fellow firefighter Miller, who was killed while responding to an emergency along Interstate 57 when a bus driver ran through the orange safety cones set up by emergency workers and struck both him and his fire engine.

Had the legislation been in place at the time, the firefighters would have had the power to completely block off that section of road from traffic, ensuring their own safety and saving Miller's life.

The legislation is a product of negotiations between police, fire and state transportation officials that provides additional safeguards for firefighters.

HB 4131 provides firefighters with the authority to shut down road lanes or entire roads in the course of their official duties, before police officers arrive, as long as they use official fire department vehicles with emergency lights and traffic control techniques set by federal regulations to shut down roads.
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Exclamation

Excellent news!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Excellent news. PS Nice hat.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Excellent news. PS Nice hat.
    The hat rocks. The thing sticking up from the back is a little grasshopper woven out of the leaf things that the hat is made from LoL.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Laura:
    That hat won't stay on when you ride your motorcycle will it?
    You know, it's too bad that we have to legislate for our safety while operating at a scene on a roadway. This is a controversy especially out east where we have seen firefighters arrested for not moving apparatus upon the orders of a police officer.
    WAY too many bad drivers out there. Add in all of the distractions and you have an accident waiting to happen.
    Cops are worried about "secondary" accidents. So am I; the ones that happen to emergency responders.
    Close the road if necessary. Don't think twice about it.
    Just do it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

this IS GREAT news, it scares me every time we go out on I-57, on interstate flashing lights mean little to many who are in such a big hurry to get where they are going

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2160 View Post
    this IS GREAT news, it scares me every time we go out on I-57, on interstate flashing lights mean little to many who are in such a big hurry to get where they are going
    Like everything, there are loopholes. This does not apply on any toll authority roadway in the state. This is where we have had our biggest issues.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    Laura:
    That hat won't stay on when you ride your motorcycle will it?
    Motorcycle?! LoL. I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was probably 20 years old. Gimme something with 4 wheels, I'm not as badass as everybody thinks I am (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by lauraboczek View Post
    I'm not as badass as everybody thinks I am (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!)
    Well you certainly aren't goodass.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Whateva!!! I'm a freakin angel. Thus the straw halo..... DUH

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Mike, that's my daughter you're talking about.

By the way, when you coming down our way again?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    Laura:
    You know, it's too bad that we have to legislate for our safety while operating at a scene on a roadway. This is a controversy especially out east where we have seen firefighters arrested for not moving apparatus upon the orders of a police officer.
    WAY too many bad drivers out there. Add in all of the distractions and you have an accident waiting to happen.
    Cops are worried about "secondary" accidents. So am I; the ones that happen to emergency responders.
    Close the road if necessary. Don't think twice about it.
    Just do it.
    CR
    x2... I don't understand why LEOs would even think twice about helping up with this issue instead of fighting us.

Especially when many of them have had near misses or been hit while on the side of the road.

Jack I mean no disrepect at all.... Laura Bo and I are buds. I will be heading south next month but it looks like it will be a non-stop trip this time.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Shib's Law

If I'm reading this right, it's not quite state law yet. Right?

Forum Member

First off I think this is great, but must admit that I never knew we couldn't. We cover 15miles of I-74 and have never had a problem if we needed to shut it down,including last Sunday night. I'll guess it's all in your working relationship with the troopers. Here is some food for thought; does anyone know the IDOT specs for road closure, again I'll guess we can't even come close to meeting them, I'll bet it takes a little more than traffic cones. On a different note, does anyone know if the fire dept gets a cut of the fine from Scotts law?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was interning with ISP last night. Our job last night was to team up with another officer and sit behind her on her traffic stops and take down all the people that passed her while she was writing her tickets. We wrote well over twenty scotts law tickets, even had a few people thank us for reminding them how dangerous our job was.

MembersZone Subscriber

I received information that Shib's law is to be passed and signed into law today in springfield. More info to come as it becomes available.

A friend just told me that on July 26th, there will be a dinner/dance/auction in Sesser for a fundraiser to start a scholarship in honor of Shib. I was contacted to see if my candle business would donate a basket, so if anybody else knows of any places that would want to donate, let me know!! I'll forward you the necessary contact information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Shib's Law passed the house yesterday 5/15/2008 and is on it's way to the governor's desk.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Three months after it was passed by the House of Representatives, our beloved governor signed Shib's Law into effect today! Bout time Rod did something good for US.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information