Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default We now know GeorgeWendtCFI's side job....

We now know GeorgeWendtCFI's side job....

Read into the article below.

NY Dailynews.

Explosive device damages Times Square armed forces recruiting station

A bomb-toting bicyclist who attacked the Times Square military recruitment center with a homemade explosive today was caught on videotape before pedaling away, police said.

The blast, which rattled midtown hotel guests, pedestrians and straphangers at 3:40 a.m., followed the same scenario as two unsolved embassy bombings - although police stopped short of linking the three.

While no one was injured, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the location of the latest bombing - in the heart of the city's tourist traffic - was troubling.

"Times Square is the crossroads of the world, and we are concerned," he said.

A videotape from a private security camera at 1501 Broadway caught the bicycle bomber wobbling along the traffic island that holds the recruiting center at 3:37 a.m.

One minute later, the bomber put his 10-speed bike on the side of the building and walked around to the front. At 3:39 a.m., he was back on the bicycle - and 57 seconds later it exploded, sending a plume of thick white smoke into the air.

The bicyclist, wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt pulled tight around his face, left his two-wheeled getaway vehicle in the garbage outside an E. 38th St. apartment building, police said.

"Someone was trying to make a statement," a police source said about the Times Square blast.

As in the attacks on the British and Mexican embassies, no one claimed responsibility for the bombing. All three blasts occurred between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.; a suspect on a bicycle was spotted in each incident.

No arrests were made in the earlier bombings, where the attacker used hollowed-out grenades filled with black powder and a fuse.

The British embassy blast occurred in May 2005, while the Mexican Consulate explosion was on Oct. 26.

The nation's busiest recruiting station, which was vacant, suffered shattered windows and twisted metal. The blast rattled guests in the nearby Marriott Marquis hotel.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, at a news conference with Kelly, said the attack "insults every one of our brave men and women in uniform stationed around the world."

The bomb in the Times Square attack was packed inside a green metal container typically used to carry ammunition on a belt, police said - one difference from the earlier explosions.

Deliveryman George Wendt, 44, was sitting behind the wheel of a truck nearby when the bomb detonated.
    "I heard a pop," he said. "All I saw was a puff of smoke."

Police blocked nearby intersections for about two hours, hovered overhead in helicopters and used bomb-sniffing dogs to search for the suspect.

Subway service to and from Times Square was suspended for about two hours.

The morning explosion rattled workers in the area.

"It sounded like a blockbuster M-80 grenade, a small stick of dynamite," said Jason Gabriel, a 27-year-old security officer at 1500 Broadway, opposite the recruiting station.

"I'm concerned about my safety," Gabriel said. "We're right here at 42nd Street in Manhattan. Everything happens here; this is basically the target."

HAHA!!!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Around about the right age, I believe ...

Hmmmmmmm

On the serious side, I heard updates on this incident a few times this morning on the radio. Glad nobody was hurt.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

George wishes he could stay up that late.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 03-07-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I didn't read it all the way through.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

I would have thought George was smart enough not to ride in the middle of the street... Especially in Times Square, of all places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRuWBTCC-Nw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_74EJNJdM0

Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

George wishes he was only 44 years old.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    George wishes he was only 44 years old.....

HAHAHAAA. No doubt.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information