MembersZone Subscriber

Default Statistics as of Round 31

Congrats to all of the winners this week.

As of Round 31

4942 awards......$469,034,300

Breakdown:

OPS: 4234 awards......$326,478,356
    VEH: 708 awards......$142,555,944

Funds Remaining:

OPS: $29,071,644 (8%)
    VEH: -$5,805,944 (0%)

Average Award:

OPS: $77,109
    VEH: $201,359

Estimated Awards Remaining:

OPS: 377
    VEH: 0

Average Awards/Round:

Estimated Rounds Remaining:

Last edited by onebugle; 03-07-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Forum Member

Just a question, would anyone know how 1 department can be awarded 100K+ in January and then receive over 1 million this week? Both are in the operations and safety, one for training and one for equipment

MembersZone Subscriber

waterboy the million $ one could be a big regional.

MembersZone Subscriber

It has to be a regional grant, the host community is listed as the awardee. In this case they were previously awarded for their own application. Who knows, maybe they will go for the triple with a vehicle (not likely at this point).

Forum Member

Thanks.......

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Farmington was a regional app, 16 departments for video-conferencing equipment.

Must say I'm still smiling, that one put me over $70mil just in AFG funds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

Call me old fashioned BUT, can anyone tell me how video conferencing equipment fights fire or runs EMS calls. ???????

Please don't take this wrong Brian:
    But until every FF in this country has new turnouts and scba, and rides on a safe fire truck , there should not be million dollar awards for video conferencing equipment , so that fat chiefs don't have to walk all the way to their suburbans in order to have their chauffeur drive them to a lunch meeting. Yes I understand that it can be used for training but we all know it's because they couldn't think of anything better to ask for tax dollars to be used on.
    Especially when this million $$$ plus is being used in a state where thousands of folks have lost their rust belt auto jobs , kids are going hungry and towns & cities are on the verge of bankruptcy. There has to be a certain amount of credibility in funding for FF life safety equipment and apparatus and this award takes a LOOOOONG stretch of the imagination
    Last edited by islandfire03; 03-08-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: another thought came to my feeble mind

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't take offense, everyone has to have different opinions or the world don't go round.

Well, on the training subject since well-disciplined, well-training personnel at the best tool any organization has, and this affects over 1200 FFs protecting over 1mil people, for a one-time cost of $1/residents this project is going to get those 1200 FFs dozens of classes. So instead of either missing training or not receiving any training on certain subjects, these FFs are saving those areas they serve a ton of money that isn't there in the first place as you said. Training can go on in any weather, no travel times, etc, etc. Command, EMA, meetings, etc, the list of money-saving activities goes on and on.

As I tell everyone in the workshops, everyone is competing against the same priorities so awards are given to those that demonstrate need and cost-benefit for their projects, no matter what it is. Not all departments apply so how can they get bunker gear? These aren't welfare systems, and we all have diverse needs. That's why a computer and 3 humans from the fire service score the apps to make sure need is demonstrated. I'm not disagreeing, all departments need bunker gear, but look at this year's changes with the emphasis on training. Gotta have the knowledge before you get on the truck to make any gear useful. While the total on this project is high, the CB ratios are lower than almost all projects I worked on this year. This system does more than radios, so should we take back those $1mil plus comm upgrades too?

Again, not taking offense by any means, just stirring the thought soup. I just paint them, they're scored and awarded by others. Any award that gets announced no matter who and what it was for was needed. Any more awards are scoring only in the 90s for this program, so to get one people did one heck of a job. I hear the same stuff about an all vollie house getting more than $300k for a truck, or $500k for a quint and no paid people. All apps are subjective, the program is objective so all awards have demonstrated need.

Forum Member

Brian : my musings were certainly not aimed at you the grant writer.

I do agree that electronic training for 1200 FF's has some merit, having taken some university course work through a statewide video link. Unfortunately it's like having a professor sitting on the 50 yard line of a football stadium trying to be understood by the assembled masses. not the most beneficial way to learn.
    The monetary thought process still stands when it come to justifying to the thousands of folks that have no job and are on the edge of losing their homes in the area receiving this hugh grant. Sometimes perception is much worse than reality in the eyes of the citizens of the communities.
    We were the recipients this year of a small 60 K equipment & PPE grant, and I have already been called upon to justify why we still need our annual contribution[ 30K] from the town in order to operate. Perceptions can be dangerous in the court of public opinion.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Managing perceptions has to be done at all levels. In some areas there are communities wondering why they have a local fire department for 5-20 calls a year, sell the stuff and just let the next town over take the reigns.

In this case, for only $400k in local funds the public in 16 communities was given a tool that their FDs are using to become the best at their jobs, meanins lower life and property loss. If that's not more important when jobs are down than up I don't know what is since those folks can afford to lose less than those that have jobs. No one should lose anything of course, and deserves minimal loss when something happens. But when no money is coming in sometimes insurance doesn't get paid, people can't afford to rebuild.

Remind your local folks that if they do not contribute at the same level or more for the next 3 years they (not the department) will have to pay the feds back. Budgets must be maintained for 3 years after award, it's been the law since 2001 to make sure that people don't get awards and their towns stop funding them out of spite or any other stupid reason. I get involved in a lot of stuff like this every year before and after awards. Stuff like that is what I do in the off-grant season, among other consulting work. Showing people that try to screw the FDs why that isn't a smart move is one of my favorites, especially when it involves elected officials not working in the best interest of their communities.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

Congrats Brian, both to you and to Farmington!!!

Forum Member

My department is involved in a video conferencing Pilot Project in Idaho using the same brand of equipment that Farmington got in their regional grant.

We had our first teleconferencing class last month and we have our next one starting tomorrow night.

It is still early in the testing but the first class went extremely well. We did a 16hr NFA class taught over a period of 4 weekday evenings instead of over a Saturday, Sunday. We had 3 departments participate, 2 volunteer, 1 career. We had 23 people complete a class that might typically draw 10-12 if only 1 department hosts it.

The neat thing about this equipment is that it provides two-way video. I can see the instructor, he can see me. We shared documents, power points, videos. It isn't limited to a region either. If the Farmington Fire Department puts on a class, and is willing to include us, we can participate all the way from Idaho as well.

Video Conferencing doesn't fit every need. If there is a lot of hands on training that needs to be done, it doesn't work, but it does work well for any lecture type training. Imagine a regional FFI&II academy for volunteer departments. 2 nights a week, you could have different instructors in different locations present the lecture/book material, then on Saturday, meet in groups to do the hands on stuff.

An AFG grant bought some of the video conferencing equipment we are using for our pilot project too, btw.

Thread Information