MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Montreal mother saves seven children from fire

Montreal mother saves seven children from fire

The Canadian Press March 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM EST

MONTREAL A Montreal mother is being hailed for her bravery after throwing her seven children out of a window as fire raged around her.

One of the kids, a three-year-old girl, has third-degree burns to her face and is listed in critical condition in hospital.

The mother also has burns to her face but is in stable condition.

The six other children have various burns and bruises and are in stable condition.

The children are aged between two and 10.

Some of the kids landed in snowbanks, while at least one was caught by a neighbour.

The mother also escaped the fire by jumping out of the window,

Fire officials believe the blaze may have begun in the basement of the building, with some reports indicating it may have started on a sofa.

What commentary people wrote:

Montreal mother saves seven children from fire

The Canadian Press Latest comment posted at 1:28 PM EST 07/03/08

Woman hailed for bravery after throwing children out the window to safety as fire raged around her ...Read the full article

This conversation is semi-moderated What is moderation?

CD W from Canada writes: Investigate for Medal of Bravery.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 11:30 AM EST

Lawrence Cragg from Burlington, Canada writes: Very informative! What happened to the mother? How high was the window? How bad are the injuries?

I think there is some basic journalism missing here.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 11:33 AM EST

Steph C from Ottawa, Canada writes: Yeah, I'm with Lawrence. Geez, Journo 101 = 5 Ws 2 Hs. Helloooooo!
    Posted 07/03/08 at 11:54 AM EST

Richard Hawrelak from Sarnia, Canada writes: Congratulations mom. If ever there was a Hail Mary pass, your seven beats them all. Heart warming story.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:06 PM EST

Steph C from Ottawa, Canada writes: OK, after 2 seconds of research, I can fill in some gaps. According to the Montreal police, "The mother pushed her kids out of a second-storey window into a snowbank before jumping out herself." The fire started in the basement and she lived on the first floor with her kids, but they couldn't go downstairs, hence the second-storey escape. You're welcome!
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:08 PM EST

Kevin Desmoulin from Toronto, Canada writes: WTG, Mothers are the Real Heroes. Give her a Medal
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:25 PM EST

Friendly Anglo from Ottawa, Canada writes: Nothing like a "momma bear" stepping up to protect her cubs. Way to go mom!
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:27 PM EST

Levap K from Burlington, Canada writes: Isn't it time to change our building code and start using solid materials instead of wood? This is rare in Europe. There it is most of the time one room fire. Considering, how much property and how many lives are lost every year it would be a lot cheaper.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:34 PM EST {Mal Note: give this guy a medal for forward thinking!}

Laura Labelle from Ladysmith, Canada writes: How heavenly to see a headline involving children not murdered by the actions of adults and the scary world we live in. See 1st headline on main page.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 12:41 PM EST

J Ross from Cochrane, Canada writes: Nice positive story for a change, but agree with earlier posters about why can't certain G&M reporters spend 5-10 minutes doing research ("What would my readers likely want to know")?
    Posted 07/03/08 at 1:21 PM EST

Green Jerry from Canada writes: Yeah! Nice work. Get this lady a medal. Is there some way we can make it so she pays no taxes for the rest of her life for this?
    Posted 07/03/08 at 1:21 PM EST

Rollo Tomasi from Tobacco Kills, Belgium writes: Maybe they could rename a subway station after her.
    Posted 07/03/08 at 1:26 PM EST

867- 5309 from near Toronto, Canada writes: Green Jerry - with 7 kids, she's probably not paying much in taxes now. Good for her for saving the kids. Nothing like parental protective instinct to kick in when needed!
    Posted 07/03/08 at 1:28 PM EST
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Well I'd give the journalist a B- for effort. Like some of those comments pointed out, there is several important pieces of information missing from this story. But the story it's self is of course a positive one. Good for that mom for saving herself and her kids from the fire!
    Thanks to the journalist we know they all got their faces burnt. What storey window did they jump from? The Journalist doesn't think that is important! Clearly they had no choice but to jump from the window. But the journalist could have stated the obvious fact in the article, they were unable to access the stairs. It just adds to it a little. I'm gonna shut up now before I'm tempted to rewrite the article the way it ought to be done!
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

Thread Information