Forum Member

Smile What do you bring on a ride along?

Hey EXPLORERS and Juniors!

I was wondering what yall carry with you on ride alongs?

Me:
    Gloves
    Flashlight
    Scanner/Radio (sometimes)
    Door stops (to give to firefighters)
    Pocket knife
    Multi tool
    Paper+Pen
    Full Turnouts

On some calls I bring work gloves and traffic vest.
    Last edited by ExplorerLt1991; 03-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member

i like it when ride-a-longers bring a delicious dessert with them too hint hint

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng18a View Post
    i like it when ride-a-longers bring a delicious dessert with them too hint hint

Yep...knock with the elbows!! Or knee!!

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

a cake never hurts it goes a long way. If you have any PPE bring that and it does not hurt to leave ur mouth at home and bring your eyes and ears.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerLt1991 View Post
    Gloves Good call
    FlashlightGood call
    Scanner/Radio (sometimes)NO. There is enough noise around the firehouse without more wacker crap. Leave it at home.
    Door stops (to give to firefighters)You can leave them too. Keep 1 or 2 for training. Firemen need to be big boys and have their own.
    Pocket knifeGo with a straight blade dude. Unless you can open that knife with your gloves on.
    Multi tool Can't hurt. Don't get an expensive one.
    Paper+PenThat is what the clip board is for. Keep the pen for EMS calls.
    On some calls I bring work gloves and traffic vest.Keep a pair of work gloves in your gear for overhaul/rolling hose/packing. If you are in traffic, you WILL have your vest on
    KISS Bro, it will save you a lot of aggravation.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Doughnuts (AT LEAST A DOZEN!) - when I ride it is only usually me and two other guys on the medic and maybe a chief or two. So a dozen is the bare minimum.

All that other crap like lights and stuff is either in my gear or on the truck.

We are issued vests just like the department so I grab that when I grab my gear.

We also have forms that we need to fill out. (Day Log, Eval Sheets, etc)

PPE Pack (bka- Fag Bag)- a little LaRescue fanny pack that everyone is issued with safety glasses, trauma shears, PPE kit w/ gown and stuff, asst equip if the user so desires (everyone gets one and is to bring them on all calls, but we also carry all that on the trucks as well)

Pager

Gerber Tool

Plenty of Money

Homework (for the boring few hours of the afternoon after all the duties are done and the guys are just putting runs into the computer)

NO SCANNER
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Good thing's happening

the KISS method and Lots of Dough nuts are A+... what about for out of state ride a longs or even going to a Larger busier Dept. if its not yours ?

Forum Member

You forgot an open mind.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Along with everything RFRD mentioned, I usually try not to forget my self of all things.
    Seems like some people are too worried about bringing some unnecessary items that they may forget their clothes (I hope not anyhow) or themselves (most important). The other #1 thing is PPE, too (turnouts, gloves, helmets, eye protection, traffic vest). Pen and paper wouldn't be too bad either... Like RFRD said, we do have paper work to fill out...
    Leave the door stops, 12 different flashlights, wire cutters, cameras ect... at home. You're there to observe and to help when asked. Put the camera down unless you're asked to take pictures because no one wants to watch your videos on YouTube.
    Your safety is your top priority...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

We don't do scheduled ride-along per-say. Explorers respond like everyone else when the tones go off. They come to drills like everyone else. So they are all expected to have themselves and their gear in the same state of readiness as everyone else.

Full gear for them includes
    • Full set of bunker gear
    • Orange explorer helmet
    • Orange Explorer vest
    • Standard FF gloves
    • Extrication gloves if issued (not required)

Anything they don't have of their own, they are expected to get off the apparatus with like everyone else. Hand lights, radio, clipboard, other required tools and gizmos. Some are a little more into it than others and will have their own little add-on things which I think is great. It shows they are serious and want to be prepared. Flashlights, wedges, etc.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I realize that some of you are doing ride-alongs with your explorer posts, but this is intended for those that are riding with departments with which they have no affiliation.

Also keep in mind that we have a lot of ride-alongs and most of them are nice folks, and I enjoy having them around. We have even hired some of them.

Unless there is a special program in place please do not bring anything besides yourself and a jacket and maybe a pair of safety glasses.

The following items should not be with you unless you have a prior specific agreeement:

1) A uniform or clothing items that identifies you as a member of another department. You are an observer at my department today, not a member of another department.

2) You don't have to dress up, but wear clean clothes. No rips, tears, political opinions, advertising, etc. If you have to go to Wal-Mart and buy a grey t-shirt (not blue) do it. If you can't afford it, you should be at your job and not spending the day at the fire station.

3) With the exception of safety glasses, do not bring PPE from another department. I have no idea how much training you have, and I know you have not been trained in the way that we do business. You are not going to add anything to the response, so do not dress like you are going to help - you won't.

4) Do not bring work-out clothes, the work-out every day rules does not apply to you and our work-out area is small. There is not room for extra bodies.

Forum Member

sry but the pen and paper makes you look like a nurd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

scanner only goes on when I'm outside and cant hear the station tones...

pen and paper are smashed in my back pocket, well pen is in the PEN HOLDER on my uniform...

i brought a cake once... no one touched it and told me to take it to some young skinny guys to eat...

Oh and i forgot, shears are w/ my multi-tool in case

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton71E1 View Post
    Sorry, but the video camera and the digital photo camera make you look like a whacker-wanna-be geek. No one likes your YouTube videos. They sometimes give off a bad impression of your department... Act professional. Who cares about how cool you look on a fire scene??? You're not going to get any girls attracted to you because of your cool-looking helmet with 15 door stops, 3 flashlights, and a helmet camera attached to it...

Don't be a healine on FirefighterCloseCalls.

And try downloading ieSpell. The way your typing makes you look like a nerd. Firehouse.com is not AIM or Yahoo!. Act professionally. If you wouldn't bring it up at the kitchen table at the firehouse, that you shouldn't bring it up here... I know, well I hope anyhow, you don't walk around talking like, "S-R-Y B-T DA P3N N PPR MAX3 U LK...". Instead of coming out and saying, "grow up," how about, please act maturely - What good representation of Buxton FD you are making.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

No, you idiot, pen and paper are an extremely useful tool for writing down what you see and learn. Taking notes is hands down the best way to remember information. As long as you can refer back to that sheet of paper, then you will always have that information accessible. I say anyone who isn't interested in carrying pen and paper aren't interested in learning. Anyone who isn't interested in learning, as you obviously aren't, have no place in the fire service. Period.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 03-13-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

When I ride along I bring:
    Full PPE
    A CLEAN and PRESSED uniform (my post issues uniforms)
    EMS goggle
    A pen
    My brain
    Watch

and money to pay for the meals that I eat with them.

I don't bring food as much as I should. Though I did surprise my assigned crew on Christmas with a nice treat.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

I must have missed something, when did someone list camera/recorders?

Forum Member

No one did in this particular thread, but it comes in lieu of the now dead Video Taping Ridealongs? thread.
    Firefighter/EMT

Gone.

You seriously don't belong in the fire service. Not only was that comment shallow and ignorant, but it shows how much of a know-it-all you think you are, and being a junior and posting that response just makes you look even more like a typical hard *** know-it-all who's going to run in guns-a-blazing and get hurt in a hurry. Pen and paper are a vital learning tool that belongs with you every time you get into the truck. Obviously you're already the best junior firefighter in the world and you don't need to learn. Turn in your gear and walk out the door. That's the only way you're getting respect from me now.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 03-09-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Forum Member

Funny thing is, damn near every firefighter I know carries a pen and paper on them at all times. I guess the majority of firefighters are all "nurds". Give your head a shake.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Why would somebody list that?? There is no need for it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    My point exactly...

Worldwide Menace

bring your eyes and your ears a notepad and a pen or 2... You don't need PPE, they most likely will not have you doing anything.. Don't bring a camera.. you may inadvertently break HIPAA..
    You may wanna bring a snack for everyone.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    actually it could be useful. First off if you go on a fire scene you can basically take notes with the camera. You can learn a lot that way.

Forum Member

Default thing to take

stay out of the way and no scanner to much else going on on the fire ground everything else is a good idea and a flat blade would be prefered.
    Quint 320 Yeah

Thread Information