Forum Member

Post Phenix Leather Helmets

I am the production manager for Phenix technology if you wear a Phenix leather its has passed through my hands I would like to know what everyone thinks good or bad as long as they are constructive thanks
    Last edited by Calphenix; 03-13-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling grammar

Forum Member

Default Phenix helmets

Lets hear about them Likes and dislikes

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently took delivery of a new tl-2, it is lighter and more comfortable than my old conway leather. I have not worn it on any incidents yet however. I ordered it from an online dealer and it was not as ordered. The shield hat came with it was of very poor quality (not a sam brown) and it did not arive with the ESS goggles I requested. Nichole at Phenix was very helpfull in ordering the right shield. Be aware that some of your dealers are not being upfront with customers. Normaly, I would return the product, but since I realy like the helmet and the paulson goggles are adequate I'm keeping it, even after waiting for 6 weeks for delivery. Full credit to Phenix for making a stunning helmet. As soon as my shield arrives I'll be putting it into service. I'm sure that many people from my department will be odering soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to know if you can send me a test helmet to try it out(not to return of course) and I will give you my opinon on the helmet.

I would like it with Bourkes and the ESS Googles.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

There is a group firefighters on my Department that have the TL2, including the Chief. They got theirs through Dave Falcone at Handtub Junction. They love them.

My next lid will be a TL2.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

PM "Fireman4949" aka Kevin. He has a TL that sees a good amount of regular use. He should be able to answer any questions you might have.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix View Post
    I am the production manager for Phenix technology if you wear a Phenix leather its has passed through my hands I would like to know what everyone thinks good or bad as long as they are constructive thanks

Your hands did a fine job!

I bought mine a little less than a year ago.

I love my lid! It is the best leather helmet I've ever had (two previous Cairns leathers).

I also bought mine from Dave Falcone and I was exceedingly pleased with the customer service I received from him.

My only complaint with the helmet was the lack of sufficient padding in the browband. I ended up adding a small piece of foam to the inside of the browband, and it made it much more comfortable for me.

The fit and ride of the Phenix is much better than my previous Cairns lids, and the lighter weight is very noticable, especially after a long job.

I also like the fact that the leather is not resin-soaked. It takes heat much better than a Cairns without cooking and becoming brittle.
    The finish is still in tact, albeit smoked up a bit. My previous Cairnd lids (especially the latest one, circa 2004) had terrible paint jobs. Chipping and flaking at the slightest touch.

I have touted the TL-2 to many on this board. I believe most, if not all that have bought one are very pleased with the quality of your lids. Hopefully, many of them will also respond to your post.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix View Post
    ive had mine for about a year now, and it was manufactured in /99. i bought it from a distributor that had it leftover. great quality, light, the leather is holding up really well. ive gotten alot of people interested as it is not yet a "mainstream" lid down here. alot of Cairs users have been impressed!

great job!

Forum Member

JHR1985:
    You stole my reponse!
    I too am more than willing to be a test pilot for your helmet and give you quarterly reports on it's performance. I do want to get a leather. We currently wear ben2's and we like 'em but they are not leather! Feel free to pm me.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    Your hands did a fine job!

I bought mine a little less than a year ago.

I love my lid! It is the best leather helmet I've ever had (two previous Cairns leathers).

I also bought mine from Dave Falcone and I was exceedingly pleased with the customer service I received from him.

My only complaint with the helmet was the lack of sufficient padding in the browband. I ended up adding a small piece of foam to the inside of the browband, and it made it much more comfortable for me.

The fit and ride of the Phenix is much better than my previous Cairns lids, and the lighter weight is very noticable, especially after a long job.

I also like the fact that the leather is not resin-soaked. It takes heat much better than a Cairns without cooking and becoming brittle.
    The finish is still in tact, albeit smoked up a bit. My previous Cairnd lids (especially the latest one, circa 2004) had terrible paint jobs. Chipping and flaking at the slightest touch.

I have touted the TL-2 to many on this board. I believe most, if not all that have bought one are very pleased with the quality of your lids. Hopefully, many of them will also respond to your post.
    Ahh, how are you doing bro? Long time no see around these parts.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

I would have one on my head if the suspension was made better. I tried one on and it just moved inside just too much for my liking compared to the New Yorker I use now. It to me seemed like it needs to be attached in a better way to the front of the helmet. The helmet was made great other then that one problem.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by sdfd504 View Post
    I would have one on my head if the suspension was made better. I tried one on and it just moved inside just too much for my liking compared to the New Yorker I use now. It to me seemed like it needs to be attached in a better way to the front of the helmet. The helmet was made great other then that one problem.

Did it have a ratchet adjustment inside? Those are wha makes the helmets fit nice.

Forum Member

Yes it had the ratchet inside but the front of the suspension on the helmet I tried was very loose and felt like it would break if I put it on the wrong way.

Some Guy

I have had one for about a year. I love it.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I have had my TL2 for about a year and my only complaint would be the suspension system. I find there is too much play in the system that causes the helmet to bobble around on my head. So if you could beef up the system so there is less play and add some more padding, then you would have a perfect helmet, in my opinion.

The positives, I love the leather detail and how pliable it is, and find the helmet to be well balanced if you choose to place wedges or other tools on it. Over all I'm very pleased, but would love to see some improvements.

If I can provided any other assistance, then add me to the list of "beta testers" for your next product!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was reading on the phenix website about the suspension system in the helmets. It said there was to styles the ratchet system and the nape system whats the difference?
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I've had mine for about 4 years and absolutley love it! A group of guys and I ordered them all together and they have withstod everyting that has been thrown at them. I wil agree with fireman4949 that the padding in the front could use some reinforcing. Other than that Ive got about 10 other guys in my dept that are going to order them after comparing the weight and overall comfort. I was a little disapointed about the shiel quality and mounted my Paul Conway shield onto it with the use of shield extenders..

My profile pic is what they look like frozen after flowing water in the tower in 15 degree weather for an hour.......
    "There is no strong beer...only weak men"

SPH
    MCFRS Station 8C
    www.mcffpipesanddrums.org

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15 View Post
    I was reading on the phenix website about the suspension system in the helmets. It said there was to styles the ratchet system and the nape system whats the difference?
    The rachet system is a rapidly adjusted system where as the nape strape is a one time adjustment system. it really is a personal decision on which one you like best. I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Shaun Russell

MembersZone Subscriber

so with the nape system you can adjust the size of the helmet?
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15 View Post
    so with the nape system you can adjust the size of the helmet?
    That is correct

Thread Information