Forum Member

Default First Impression!

I have looked all over the website, and cannot find anything about what to wear to for the written test. The department is a small suburban dept that has volunteer, and couple of full time gus. The test is at the fire station, and i think there might be alot of people, however its not like a big city test. I was just wondering what people think would be a good to wear and not to over dress?

Forum Member

What you wear is the strongest non verbal statement you can make in the oral. Some believe you should wear a suit because those who do the hiring could be there. Do you own one? Are you comforable wearing it? Dress for success?

I've seen candidates I know wear suits then they stopped. Why? They felt uncomfotable.

Business cusual? Nice shirt and dockets?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I do not own a suit, however i do own alot of nice dress shirts. I was thinking about wearing nice dress pants, and a nice dress shirt. I am not uncomfortable wearing a suit, i just dont own one which i am going to soon have to invest in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spend the money and invest in a suit. You will need it for the interview.

Wear it to the written examination, particularly if you are testing for a smaller department. The firefighters who proctor the written test will take note. Hopefully they will approach you during a break. This is your opportunity to introduce yourself. Make a good impression and you may get invited to the station to learn more about the department.
    The firefighters want to see good people get hired. Wearing a suit and making a good first impression is stacking the deck in your favor. Is it overkill? Probably......but maybe it's not.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I took the written test, and i was the only one dressed up for the written test. I wore a nice pair of dress pants, and a nice dress shirt. The test only lasted around 2 hours. There were no breaks, and the test was given by one lady, and that was it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    I took the written test, and i was the only one dressed up for the written test. I wore a nice pair of dress pants, and a nice dress shirt. The test only lasted around 2 hours. There were no breaks, and the test was given by one lady, and that was it.
    The defense rests your honor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now go buy a nice suit.

Dark blue or black.
    Solid colors, no stylish prints.

Q: How many people were there to take the test?

Forum Member

There were two sections of testing. In my session there was about 15. I will be getting to the store, and buying a new suit. The department has 18 spots open, so we shall see how my luck goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

MMedrow21,

This is just a guess but I are you testing in Menomonee Falls?

MembersZone Subscriber

15? Have they let on as to how many applications they took or how many they were expecting to test? Or even how many test groups?

Be prepared to take the interview now. Make sure you get the suit. Your competition will be wearing one for sure.

Practice, practice, practice.
    Practice to the point of not sounding practiced, but conversational.

When might you hear back?

Good luck,
    bam

Forum Member

I'd rather see a guy with clean pressed trousers and a nice white shirt than some guy in a cheesy suit.
    Don't buy anything trendy if you feel you must by a suit.
    Just keep it simple.
    Our dept is definitely not impressed by the suit guys- many people can't afford one.
    Many people have "the badge" and are working now that didn't wear a suit when they interviewed, including me.
    Just look clean and professional.

Forum Member

Yes, i will be testing with Menomonee Falls This saturday at 9:00 A.M. I will be wearing close to the same thing that i wore this weekend.

As far as the test that i took this weekend for new berlin, they did not tell us how many applications they took in, They only had two testing sessions this time around.

Forum Member

Default Dress for Success!

No one might have been dressed up for the written but you don't want to take the chance of showing up with what you wore to the written and walk into the holding pen for your oral and everyone else looks like their going to the senior ball.

If you're going to buy a new suit consider this:

black is acceptable yes?! I sure hope so

Not really. Black is a little too formal, more for dances, funerals and being a star in the movie Men in Black.

I usually say go along with the lady in your life. It might be an exception here.

If black is all you have, wear it.

Dress for Success

What Do I wear to a Job Interview?

I had a candidate tell me he went to an interview wearing a tie, suspenders and no jacket. I asked him, "Who did you think you are Larry King?" I asked him if they called him back for a chief's interview? No. The defense rests. McFly?

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment. Wear the suit.

On an oral board one day this guy had something on his suit coat sleeve. On closer inspection it turned out to be the sales tag. Why was it still on his sleeve. He was going to take it back to the store later for a refund.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, or yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white or off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Don't: wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off.

Forum Member

If you're not going to get a suit consider wearing a sports coat. If indeed the oral is real casual you can slip off the sports coat.

If you can't afford a suit, rent one.

Forum Member

Well, i just got some good news from the fire Department I passed the written test, now onto the CPAT. I have been working hard in the Fire Academy through school, and have been working out at home. We shall see!! Any pointers from you veterans out ther?

Thread Information