Default Do you have F.D. ambulances

Just wandering how many dept's have F.D. ambulances and how those ambulances where staffed. Civilian Medic/EMT, Civilian Medic/Medic, FF Medic/EMT, FF Medic/Medic?? If they are civilian EMS employees do the FF's ever have to catch the ambulance if the civilians can't staff it..i.e call offs, can't fill with OT, or shortages. If civilian EMS can FF put in for OT on ambulance if needed. Does it have to be Medic or can be EMT?

We currently have a pretty interesting/unusual system. Our Pre-merger FD uses the County Hosp EMS ambulances to cover the majority of our area, like they have done for a hundred years. The post merger area, two former townships who ran their own ambulances now have civilians on the ambulances. They run with 1 medic 1 EMT. Currently FF can not work on those ambulances unless extreme situation and they throw a sub on it to cover it for day. FF's can not put in for OT to work ambulances. With possibility of mrgering with other township FD's who have ambulances we would then incorporate them into current civilian EMS ambulances. The townships run with FF's on them now. And then eventually take over old County Hosp ambulances and FD would run entire county. That's it in a nut shell.

Civilian EMS division is having hard time covering all the ambulances (8). Basically the dept is not managing correctly. So there is big debate whether FF/Medics should/could cover for OT. Just wanted to know what others did.

Thanks

Forum Member

hey

my current FD is has FF/medic staffed ambulances. We also share an IFT contract with a neighboring dept.

My last job was FF/medic engines, with AMR for transport.

josh

Forum Member

My old one did. We ran 4 ambulances with the ability to kill pumper crews to put reserve ambulances in service if the 4 main ones were tied up. Half of our run volume on the "box" was IFT ie. taxi service. :P Most of the dept was FF/Medic. There were a few EMT-B and EMT-Intermediates grandfathered from the old days when Medic wasn't required. Engines were ALS. You'd work a shift on the box and usually a shift or two off.

Where I work now we have no ambulances, thank God. We have BLS trucks and first respond to just about everything someone can make up. I've still got my medic, but I haven't used it in almost a year. I don't really see the need to.

Let's talk fire trucks!

We're getting ready to put our 13th FD ambulance in service. They're staffed with one FF/Medic and one FF/EMT.

We have one at our station with 10 people on the shift, 4 ALS providers and 6 BLS. We rotate onto the ambulance from the engine or truck, depending on what the primary rig you're assigned to.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our ambulance is our bread and butter. We run at least one Firefighter/MRT and Firefighter/EMT. We get our medic from the town of East Hartford.

MembersZone Subscriber

I run our EMS Division. We have 9 firefighter/paramedic ambulances. They handle all of the ALS calls. We also have 5 BLS ambulances staffed by civilian EMT's. They live in the fire stations, wear our uniform and drive our rigs. These guys and gals all want to get hired on the fire department. They do a great job.

For reference, my department is the 5th largest city in California. We run about 60,000 calls per year for 23 stations.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Stay safe,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

We have 9 front line Buggys (Emergency Care Units) staffed with three. Usually one senior firefighter/paramedic (old and crusty), one junior firefighter/paramedic (knows enough to be dangerous), and one medic in training or ink on the card is still wet medic. We have one back-up that is staffed when needed from extra personnel (taken off front line engine or ladder co.)

MembersZone Subscriber

We are a combo dept with 10 career FF/EMT's and 30ish POC ff.We have 2 ambulances. We have 2 FF/emt's per shift, 1 Deputy or Capt 0700-1800, and 1 Career Chief m-f. We currently operate at the intermediate level, each shift has atleast 1 Intermediate or Paramedic. 1st ambu is staffed (unless duty crew is on a fire call) 2nd is staff by call EMT's 1800-0600 weekdays and weekends. During the weekday 0600-1800 it's toned for any available.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChetKelly View Post
    Currently FF can not work on those ambulances unless extreme situation and they throw a sub on it to cover it for day. FF's can not put in for OT to work ambulances.
    Wow, nice! Where can I get an app for a FF spot with your agency?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Just for comparison purposes. The department that ChetKelly is talking about is The Indianapolis Fire Department. I believe we have 36 stations, and 8 medic trucks. The more inner-city area is covered by the county ambulance system. I'm not sure of run load, but I know for sure it is well over 100,00.

Sort of on the same thought. Have any other departments experienced mergers? There are 6 county departments left that are to most likely be merged in the next few years. At that point our line-firefighter numbers will be around 1500. Currently two of the township departments have merged in and there have of course been growing pains.

Just wondered if any one else has had similar experiences?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bigft357 View Post
    Our ambulance is our bread and butter. We run at least one Firefighter/MRT and Firefighter/EMT. We get our medic from the town of East Hartford.
    You forgot to tell em our bread and butter leaks oil and needs replacement ......lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    We run 8 staffed ambulances with 1 FF/Medic and 1 FF/EMT...There are 2 rigs that can run with 2 FF/EMTs when medic staffing is low. We also run 16 ALS pumpers, 3 ALS quints, and 3 BLS trucks.......If running a BLS ambo, the first responding ALS rig will send their medic with the AMBO to the hospital. When staffing allows, we open a 9th ambo. We also have 4 rigs that are reserves when one breaks or needs other shop work. If are ambo are all busy on calls the crews from the stations with the spare rigs move over to the Ambo, thus taking a fire company out of service temporarilly, which is a whole new bad can of worms.
    Why not have the ALS personnel on ambulances to begin with? You could probably staff the eight you have, plus a few, with double medic crews.

Thread Information