Thread: 24 hour shifts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by italianff395 View Post
    We have 4 platoons now, and it would have to stay that way, so I believe we would have to do 24 on/ 72 off. Just a lot of confusion to whether a 4 on 4 off schedule is better than the 24's
    Italian, about 4 years ago, the City of Camden, NJ went from 10's/14's to 24 on, 72 off, and they LOVE IT.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

24/48 with a liberty day every 9th shift. We'll never add another shift. We're so severely short staffed as it is, we're moving liberty days around (still keeping them in the cycle, but changing where your liberty day slot is on short notice based upon staffing). We've also been told that no vacation aside from our one priority vacation will be approved through the end of the year. So, we've got to figure out which group of continuous shifts we want to take off between July 1 and December 31, and that's it. Morale is sucking pretty bad. We're tight as it is, but we're going to start seeing a lot of people just not requesting the day off and calling in sick instead. We're going to start shutting down more units.

Our chief wants to bring us up to four people per apparatus, but the county won't do it. They won't approve raises to bring us up to even the Metro Atlanta average, much less above it. They won't approve the new positions to bring staffing up. We're losing people left and right, retirement and just plain leaving for other things.

Forum Member

24 on 48 off with a Kelly Day every 27th day

Forum Member

Thumbs up 24hr shifts

24 on, 24 off, 24 on , 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off. So we work 3 24hr days and get 4 days off.

I like the four days off, and it works great with vacation days. It is not hard to get 2 months off in the summer with vac and trades.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtp009 View Post
    24 on, 24 off, 24 on , 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off. So we work 3 24hr days and get 4 days off.

I like the four days off, and it works great with vacation days. It is not hard to get 2 months off in the summer with vac and trades.
    Quick ??? for all of those that work the 24on 24off 24on etc... How do you work overtime? Does one end up working three in row? Or does the other off-duty crew take the OT shift...

We work 24/48 here... And here lately our crew (B) has been working 2-4 guys per shift over for OT....

Jason
    Last edited by TAFDTruck5FF; 06-10-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TAFDTruck5FF View Post
    Quick ??? for all of those that work the 24on 24off 24on etc... How do you work overtime? Does one end up working three in row? Or does the other off-duty crew take the OT shift...

We work 24/48 here... And here lately our crew (B) has been working 2-4 guys per shift over for OT....

Jason

It depends on each individual employer, and the language in each contract. Some places place a limit on consecutive hours worked. So if you're capped at 60 hours, you would only be eligible for OT in 12 hour blocks. If you have no limit, you could work as much as you want, whenever you want.

If it's not addressed in your contract, then get it in there. If it is in there, then make sure it's being followed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    If it's not addressed in your contract, then get it in there. If it is in there, then make sure it's being followed.
    Thanks...Didn't think off breaking up the shift to 12 hour slots...

But on the other note NO contract here being i'm in Arkansas and union's are normally not looked at with good eye... I know their are few larger Arkansas depts. that have contracts...But our union has talked about it before... Knock on wood...

Jason

I love my job..been doing this for 9 years. However, I am totally against 24 hour shifts. My department is a busy department for the most part and we work the 24 on/48 off ABC platoon shift structure.

In my opinion, 24 hours is too much. It is a SAFETY and HEALTH issue, but since we are so much into "tradition" and quick to shut up the "whiners", we will keep killing firefighters and paramedics with this torturous B.S....and BS is what it is ! Imagine running 10 calls all day and then having to be up 3-4 times after midnight. Let me ask you something and think hard about this....would you trust your family member in an emergency to a FF or medic at 4am that has had about 1 hour of sleep if that ?? How do you think his concentration, focus and judgment will be ?

Again, if your an engine slug that sits on their lazy behinds all day and does nothing but talk about the "big fire" of 5 years ago, the yes..of course....24 hour shifts are DESIGNED for you since you can sleep all night at wake up refreshed and ready to actually enjoy your 48 hours off. If however, you work for a large metropolitan department or any department that has low income/poverty stricken areas...you WILL be up after midnight.

If you are a FF/Paramedic assigned to a ambulance/rescue transport truck....one call takes on the average about 1 hourt from the time you respond to the call, treat/transport the patient, drop the patient at the hospital, do your report, return to quarters. Do that 2-3 times after midnight and you are running on literally 2-3 hours of sleep. Do you think this is good for your body ? Do you think you will live a long time after retirement ? NOPE. Does your department really care ? NOPE. Why fix what's not broke right ? Lack of sleep, insomnia and health problems are to be EXPECTED with this job right ? Quit your whining ! lol. We are our OWN worst enemies and until we start addressing this serious scheduling flaw that abounds in fire department all over the U.S. and abroad, we will keep our firefighters through sleep deprivation and God knows what else.

So a word of warning to those thinking about switching to 24 hour shifts....there is nothing more sacred, more blessed, to be able to sleep peacefully and quietly EVERY night in your OWN comfortable bed. Waking up after midnight while on duty to respond to calls takes a HUGE toll on your body when you start doing it year after year after year. Yes...going to work every day to your 10 or 12 hour shifts IS a drag...but the grass IS NOT greener on the other side. I speak from personal experience.

I hate my schedule so much that I have even contemplated a career in law enforecement. They get to sleep every day a set amount of hours. But alas...I have been here too long, get paid too much, have gotten promoted and am almost vested our pension system to make such a drastic remove. If I had to do it all over again, I would have become a cop with the LASD.

Be safe...

Forum Member

Default kelly schedule

We work 24 on,24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off (4 days) Then the whole thing starts over. Same amount of hours as 24on 48 off but just crammed together.
    This week I work Wed, Fri, Sun. After kelly I work Fri, Sun, Tues then... Sun Tues Thurs then.... Tues Thurs Sat then.... Thurs Sat Mon then .... Sat Mon Wed then.... then Mon Wed Fri then .... Wed Fri Sun again

Forum Member

F/T gig with the ambo company we work a 3/4 ... 3 24's on seperated by a 24 off with 4 days off. It works well due to our overnight volume.

The 3 F/T personnel at my part-time and volunteer FFing gig work a 5/6, which is pretty much the standard here for all the FDs and parish EMS service.

My ambo did, up to last year worked a 5/6 but it was changed due to increasing fatigue on the last 2 shifts.

Forum Member

We work

Fri, Sun, Tue, Thu, 5 days off, Wed, Sat, Mon, 3 days off repeat starting Sun.

We get paid every 2 weeks. 106 regular hours and 6 OT hours. Take Wed off and get 8 days off.

Works pretty well for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtp009 View Post

I have heard the above shift called the "modified Detroit". Why? I have no idea. Thats what the majority of the depts. on our area run. We have 13 Kelly days a year, so I often get a six day break every month along with the 4 day breaks. This is pretty much all I have known since 87. If there is OT, we can often grab a 12, or there can be enough 24s available on a 4 day break. There is the risk of a 72, but people tend to have some sympathy if you end up in one of those.

I am 42, at a fairly busy house, but still get the occasional night without getting up. Rare, but it happens. I am also a medic, so the FFs are bedding down after a med. aid call, I am up entering a report in the computer. But I am all about the 4 day break. I would not want to work anything but a 24 hour shift. Several depts. in the area have 48 hours on, 96 hours off. They seem to like it, though if you were busy, it would suck.
    The opinions are mine alone, and do not represent the department I am with, or any firefighters I work with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paco8989 View Post
    Again, if your an engine slug that sits on their lazy behinds all day and does nothing but talk about the "big fire" of 5 years ago, the yes..of course....24 hour shifts are DESIGNED for you since you can sleep all night at wake up refreshed and ready to actually enjoy your 48 hours off. If however, you work for a large metropolitan department or any department that has low income/poverty stricken areas...you WILL be up after midnight.

If you are a FF/Paramedic assigned to a ambulance/rescue transport truck....one call takes on the average about 1 hourt from the time you respond to the call, treat/transport the patient, drop the patient at the hospital, do your report, return to quarters. Do that 2-3 times after midnight and you are running on literally 2-3 hours of sleep. Do you think this is good for your body ? Do you think you will live a long time after retirement ? NOPE. Does your department really care ? NOPE. Why fix what's not broke right ? Lack of sleep, insomnia and health problems are to be EXPECTED with this job right ? Quit your whining ! lol. We are our OWN worst enemies and until we start addressing this serious scheduling flaw that abounds in fire department all over the U.S. and abroad, we will keep our firefighters through sleep deprivation and God knows what else.

Paco I'm going to guess you are not an engine slug!!!

Busy engine company, 24 on 48 off Kelly Day every 3 weeks, love the schedule.

Forum Member

Default back to your question

Italian,

24 hour shifts is an awesome schedule if you can get it. You will have some points to think about before you go this route.

1) is your call volume such that you will crush your manpower by going to a 24 hour shift?

2) you run a great risk of hurting your union. Many dept's that change over to the 24/72 state that the guys are off for 3 days and you never see them. At least with the 10 and 14's you have some interaction after a shift for a union mtg. If your members live a distance from your town this is a point to talk about.

3) you will only have to report for duty half the amount of days as you currently do. Yes you are working the same amount of hours weekly but you travel 1 out of 4 days as opposed to 4 out of 8 days. This makes for less sick leave usage as you work less calendar days. Also, with the price of gas you will save $ if you travel a distance. In NJ many guys live up to 2 hours from the firehouse because they have 3 days before they have to be back to work.

4) Change is not easy in the fire service, so getting your members to agree to a drastic schedule change may be tough. This being said, I haven't heard anyone speak poorly after going to 24/72. Although, that one guy wanted to be a cop in an earlier post. Man he must really hate his job. A cop's schedule and job seems so unappealing. Even naysayers will admit that the 24/72 was a great decision after the fact.

Hopefully these points were helpful. Good luck!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We switched to 24 hour shift from 10/14 July 1 and so far I'm a big fan. We run the 24 on 24 off 24 on 5 off. We're not overly busy we average 6-7 runs a day with 2 guys on a shift (engine/ambu).

Thread Information