Thread: 24 hour shifts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 24 hour shifts

I'm sure somewhere on here this question has been asked many times, but I will do it again... What does everyone here feel about working 24 hour shifts? I know most depts around the country do so, but my department is now just beginning to talk about it. Is it better than working a 4 on 4 off schedule, and if so which is better..24 on 72 off, or 24 on 24 off, then on again and off 5days??
    Last edited by italianff395; 03-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Forum Member

Most of the FD's in my area work the 24 on, 24 off, 24 on then 5 days off schedule.

We still have 10's and 14's...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We work a 24 on 48 off and it is well liked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    We work a 24 on 48 off and it is well liked.

We have 4 platoons now, and it would have to stay that way, so I believe we would have to do 24 on/ 72 off. Just a lot of confusion to whether a 4 on 4 off schedule is better than the 24's

We do a 24 on, 48 off with a Kelly Day (extra day off) every 7th shift. We have 3 shifts.

Forum Member

Your call volume could also influence that preference. Running practically non-stop for 24 hours isn't much fun on a regular basis. If call volume isn't too bad, then the 24 hour shift is great.

We do the 24/72 and wouldn't want to do anything different.

My department does 24 on and 48 off. on the 48 we wear pagers though. Anytime you go in is time and a half. I love it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Your call volume could also influence that preference. Running practically non-stop for 24 hours isn't much fun on a regular basis. If call volume isn't too bad, then the 24 hour shift is great.

We do the 24/72 and wouldn't want to do anything different.

24/72 here as well, and ditto on not doing anything different.

Busy 24's, you go home in the AM for 3 days. Working 10/14's or another non-24 variant, and running nonstop, I'm guessing you'd be dragging ***** by the end of the cycle.

MembersZone Subscriber

I love the 24/72 schedule I work. It is especially good for those with a long commute because it is only two trips per week. We switched a little over a year ago and a majority would not want to go back to 24/48.

Forum Member

We work fixed 24 hour shifts, Tues & Thur, Wed & Fri, and Sat & Mon. Sun is covered from 8am-12mid by call men. Bill C

MembersZone Subscriber

24/48 here... I love it. It isn't long enough at work to hate life by the end of shift but enough to look forward to goin home at the end... lol...
    FF/EMT

The opinions in the above post do not reflect those of my department... Hell they don't even necessarily reflect my own opinion.

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH DUTY-PRIDE-TRADITION

Forum Member

i've worked 48/96 and the Kelly.

When at a busy house the Kelly was the only way to go. 20 calls in a day makes the second pretty tough.

my current dept schedule is 2 on 4 off (days). We are a low volume dept. and mostly run during the day. So 2 days of low volume followed by four is VERY nice.

josh

Forum Member

I currently work at a 24 on /48 off department. We have 3 shifts. The problem is if you're up all night (shifts run from 0800 to 0800) then you waste half of your first day off recovering, or being exhausted. Since it's a 56 hr work week we get FLSA overtime. When you're off you're off - no on call.

I used to work at a department that worked 24 on from 0700-0700. We had 3 shifts. The days off were 24-48-24-96. The schedule looked like this.

BABACBCBACAC-BABACBCBACAC

So about 2x a month you'd get 4 days off. It still works out to 10 days a month like 24/48, we still got FLSA overtime since it's still 56hr work week, and it cut down a bit on sick leave abuse because guys knew they had 4 days to be off.

As far as remembering what day you worked or were off, you just picked up on it. We all had wallet calenders, but it wasn't any harder to remember than 24/48. Wish I could still work that schedule.

Forum Member

Well, let me tell you how things are done in Finland.
    Professionals usually cycle trough 4 shifts, so any one shift does 24 on 72 off. Some have only 3 shifts, thus 24 on 48 off, but they also know they work more when they look at the paycheck, and at least one departement has 24 on 24 off, and they get PAYED.
    Some stations allways have same people on red trucks and white vans, you got hired to be on the fire truck and it stays that way, can move around if to many ambulance crew members are sick or similar. Other stations change around: A person is the entire shift on red trucks, next time the shift is on, he is on BLS ambulance, next time shift is on, he is on ALS ambulance (if he is qualified).

City of helsinki has a nice system, they have 4 shifts and it works like this:

Each shift works 1 day on, 2 days off, 1 day on, 2 days off, 1 day on 6 days off and from the start. The order looks like this: ABDABDABCABCDBCDACDABD... the people working are divided 50/50 on fire-rescue and ambulance, they work 12 hours on ambulance and then switch the other way around for the other half. The system is very nice, you have the intensity of 3-shift stations followed by a longer 6-day breaks once in a while. Switching after 12 hours between red trucks and white vans also gives variation.

"Semi voulentairs" = have another job, but are on call once a while following similar rotating turns = to be either at station or a given distance from it (often maximum of 5 minutes) and get payed for their standby time. They are will leave their other job to respond.

Voulentairs are voulentairs, their employer is not required to give them permission to leave their job in order to respons to a call, but many do.

There is an infinite number of variations, hope it's not overly complicated to understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department works a 3 week cycle, 3 platoons, 24 hours per shift, Tue, Thur, Sat, Mon, Fri, Sun, Wed, off for 5 days. So it works out to 4 every other, 3 off, 2, 2 off, 1 5 off. We affectionatly refer to the 4 on as hell week. We are a Fire Rescue service providing ALS care on the engines as well as Medic transports, soon to have ALS Ladder companies. We rotate on the medic depending on staffing for 12 hours of the shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Most of the FD's in my area work the 24 on, 24 off, 24 on then 5 days off schedule.

We still have 10's and 14's...
    this schedule is common in maine

Forum Member

I only work 24 hrs as an overtime shift after my 2nd day or 2nd night, otherwise I hate it, I prefer 10/14's. But each to there own I guess. We have one station that works 24 on 72 off, but the hassle there is that its a station no one wants to work at and is actually in the country several horus from where people live, so not well liked.

Forum Member

We currently work two days, two nights, followed by 4 off. This allows us to swap shifts pretty easily as we're allowed to work doubles but not triples. We're tossing around the idea of going to 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, followed by 5 days off but we're concerned it's going to limit swapping. Any of the guys on this schedule have any problems with swapping?

Forum Member

We run 48 on 96 off, the 96 off is great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by italianff395 View Post
    I'm sure somewhere on here this question has been asked many times, but I will do it again... What does everyone here feel about working 24 hour shifts? I know most depts around the country do so, but my department is now just beginning to talk about it. Is it better than working a 4 on 4 off schedule, and if so which is better..24 on 72 off, or 24 on 24 off, then on again and off 5days??
    I'm from the Northeast, My dept. does approx. 5,000 runs per year, ems/fire
    We have 4 groups, we work 24 on 24 off 5 days off. I have worked other schedules throughout my career this is by far the best. I was against going to this schedule. What a mistake that was

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    And yet, you work at a busy company for 24 hours and your not draggin. Try working in a company that does nearly 5000 calls a year by themselves. Just one company, for 24 hours, no thanks. 18 calls in from 8am to 6 pm, Im glad to leave.

Heck, 3 of our medic units did close to 10,000 calls each in 2007. Try riding one of them for 24 straight

The schedule has to match call volume, the right mix and it works.

ABABCACADCDCBDBD 10s and 14s
    I think this is one of the best posts I've seen on here about schedules. It all has to be looked at in terms of call volume.

Forum Member

Here in Southwest Virginia there are several departments who work the same 24 hour shift schedule. The schedule consists of 3 shifts who work the following schedule: 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off. The schedule is especially nice because you get a 4 day break after every cycle. You still average 10 working days a month with 3 four day breaks per month. Very nice schedule. Also the departments in the area are not THAT busy that they are negatively effected by the one day break between shifts during the cycle.

Forum Member

here in washington dc its 24/72 great schedual cant complain, we work with 4 platoons

Forum Member

We work 24/48.

The Dept has a generous policy on trades. I can work from others and they can work for me in return.

Combining these two makes for a great system. If we worked any schedule that only gives one day off, it reduces the number of people willing to work for you since it could put them on duty 3 days in a row.

Early Adopter

Thumbs up

The best schedule I've seen is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 120 off with four platoons (ABABCDCD). Monticello, Ark. ran it for a while (and still may). Take two shifts off and you get a 13-day stretch away from the job. That's a pretty good gig.

Thread Information