Forum Member

Red face Interview Questions HELP Please!

I need some help on how to avoid a crappy canned answer on some of these interview questions. Any advice or help would be appreciated! Thanks

Here are the questions

Why do you want to be a firefighter?
    -Help people, exciting, rewarding, blah blah.....are they looking for something else here??

Why should we hire you?
    -hard working, resourceful, determined, positive, etc. are they looking for more than traits here??

Would you ever disobey an order?
    -Yes? if it was a safety issue??

Any other general advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Interviews

The fire department interview is a unique challenge that is a component of the hiring process for most fire departments. As a general rule, the interview is usually weighed more than any other portion of the exam. It is not uncommon to have each of the other phases of the exam weighted ďpass or fail,Ē while the interview is weighted 100% of the candidateís overall score. Simply stated, the interview is the most important phase of the exam process.
    Many of the questions put a candidate in a ďno winĒ situation. They are designed to see how the individual can think on his or her feet. While there are often no clear-cut right answers, there are usually automatic fail points.
    The best way to learn how to succeed in the interview is to educate yourself on the process. The more you learn about the types of questions that are commonly asked, the more you can do your research, reflect on your own views and attitudes, and present appropriate answers.
    The competition is so stiff to get a job (usually one hundred applicants for each opening) that fire departments only hire the cream of the crop. One wrong answer will often eliminate a candidate from the process.
    Once a candidate understands the interview process and learns what we are looking for, he or she scores well on every future interview. As a result, the candidate will receive multiple job offers.
    Since many fire departments only require that a candidate be at least 18-years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED, a candidate theoretically could get hired without having taken a single fire science or EMT course. However, completing EMT training, taking fire science courses and graduating from a basic fire academy will undoubtedly improve a candidateís chances of getting hired.
    If a department puts its new recruits through a formal training academy, a candidate who does not possess any of the aforementioned credentials will still have a chance in the hiring process. Other departments require completion of a basic fire academy to even qualify to apply.
    The most important thing in the interview process is for the candidate to present him or herself as a person we want to have as a part of our crew. A candidate can have the most impressive resume, but if he or she is not someone we want to spend a 24-hour shift with, we will not hire him or her to be part of our family. Remember, we have the option of choosing anyone we want. We can train you to be a firefighter; we cannot train you to be a good person.
    The best way to improve your interview scores is with practice, or mock, interviews. Knock on the door of your local firehouse and enlist the help of the firefighters. They undoubtedly took an interview to get their badge. Some crews will be more current than others on the interview and testing process. Since firefighters are usually not short on opinions, they will probably have a lot to share with you. Listen to what they have to say and incorporate it into your delivery.
    Once you have learned the basics of how to take an interview, a private coaching session will certainly enhance your score. I would suggest learning all you can before enlisting the assistance of an interview coach. When you feel you are ready, it is a great investment of your time and money.
    The following is an excerpt from my book, ďSmoke Your Firefighter Interview.Ē Although it may be a review for those who have already the read book, I feel it is important to be exposed to the thought processes behind an interview question.

Tell us about yourself.
    My name is Paul Lepore. My family and I live in Dana Point, California. My wife, Marian, and I have been married for 12 years and have two daughters, Ashley and Samantha. I grew up in Huntington Beach and spent the majority of my life in northern Orange County before moving south 3 years ago.
    I enjoy sport fishing. My wife and I own a boat on which we spend a lot of time fishing and exploring the waters around Catalina Island. My love of fishing has taken me on some extensive travels through Baja, California. I have even written a book about my passion, called ďSport Fishing in Baja.Ē In addition to the outdoors, I also like playing racquetball and basketball and enjoy riding my bicycle.
    I currently work as an electrician. Two years ago I set myself a goal to become a firefighter. Since then I have pursued an education in fire science and have learned all I could about becoming a good firefighter.

Reasoning:
    The purpose of this question is to provide you, the candidate, with an opportunity to discuss your personal life. As you may have noticed, I did not mention much about my qualifications. I used this opportunity to talk about my personal life and my hobbies. This kind of question is designed to encourage you to bring out information about your life experiences and personal interests.
    Sharing personal information about yourself gives the rater an opportunity to learn what kind of person you are. It also gives the rater a chance to discover something about you that he or she can relate to. That may create a positive feeling, which may result in him/her giving you a higher score. Let me give you an analogy to illustrate my point.
    Imagine that our wives work together and have dragged us to their annual office Christmas party. We are sitting at a circular table dressed in our suits and ties. Our wives disappear to mingle with their co-workers. You and I have never met but sense we are in the same boat. Rather than ignore one another, we start talking about such things as where weíre from, how many kids we have, where we live, etc. If we have a lot of time to talk, we might even discuss the kind of work we do, how we met our wives, how long weíve been married and where we grew up.
    Usually when you find a common interest with another person, you tend to want to explore that. For example, if the other person mentions that he likes fishing, I would ask him more about it since I also enjoy fishing. I would mention my interest in both fresh and salt water fishing, and encourage him to talk about his fishing adventures.
    This example illustrates how common ground can promote conversation, which may then lead into discovering other common areas of interest.
    Many candidates mistake this question as an opportunity to outline their resume. This is a serious mistake. The question is designed to encourage answers about your personal interests. This is your opportunity to show the board who you are. Donít waste time going over your qualifications; rather, use the time to enlighten the board.
    By using this opportunity to provide information about where you are from, what you do for fun, and any special accomplishments that you are proud of, hopefully someone on the board will identify with something you have said and will feel a connection.
    You never know what that connection could be. It may be that they too played high school or college football. Maybe they are from the same part of the country. Perhaps a board member who plays basketball is looking for players for the basketball team. They may have an interest in auto mechanics. It may be possible that you speak a foreign language and your skills may be needed in certain areas of the community. Another benefit of providing personal information about yourself is that once a rater feels a bond with you, he or she is more likely to give you a higher score. It stands to reason that if no connection has been established, you will have to work that much harder for a good score.
    Letís say the department has an opening for a seat on the fire engine. They have decided to hire a firefighter to fill the vacancy. Since fire departments are always inundated with prospective candidates when they give an exam, they have the luxury of hiring whomever they want. This wide range of choice makes it more likely that they will hire someone they like.
    If you are going to be put straight onto a fire engine, our choices are more limited since prior training is a must. In other words, the department may be looking for someone who has already put him or herself through a basic fire academy at the local junior college.
    If we are going to put the new hire through a fire academy, we can hire someone with minimal experience. Firefighters would much rather hire someone who has similar interests, values, goals and morals. Iím not saying theyíre looking for clones. What they are looking for is someone who fits the profile of a firefighter. They have a much better chance of choosing someone compatible by learning about them personally as well as professionally.

Years ago, when I was researching potential career choices, I learned that the father of one of my friends was a firefighter. As I quizzed him about his job, I was struck by how much he loved what he was doing. It was rare to find someone who truly enjoys what he does.
    The more I researched the fire service, the more convinced I became that it was the right choice for me. Since then I have visited many fire stations and have gone on several ride-alongs. The reasons I want to become a firefighter are numerous. They include the following:
    I enjoy helping people. It gives me great pleasure and it would be very fulfilling to have a profession in which I was able to help people every day.
    I would like to be part of a team that solves problems in the community. Whether it is a fire, flood, hazardous material spill, or medical emergency, it feels good to know that citizens can rely on the fire department to help solve their problems.
    Being a role model in the community is also important to me. I know children look up to firefighters and I feel we have an obligation to be there for them. I realize the importance of having a smile on my face and being respectful at all times. I also know that firefighters volunteer their time to promote good will within the community. I feel this is a vital part of a firefighterís job. What also appeals to me is the camaraderie that develops in the fire station. Living and working together for 24-hours at a time allows firefighters to develop some incredibly strong bonds.
    I like the challenges that a day at the fire station can bring. Even though our on-duty days are planned out, plans can be interrupted at a momentís notice for an emergency response.
    Since I am a problem solver, I would thrive on contributing my problem-solving skills to the team. But I know if Iím having difficulty solving a problem, I would be able to rely on the other crewmembers to come up with a solution. The amount of shared knowledge among firefighters is tremendous.
    I know being a firefighter will provide many opportunities for learning. There is a tremendous amount of information that a firefighter must learn in order to become competent in his or her job. It would be up to me to set a goal and study hard to achieve that goal. Once I have mastered the roles and responsibilities of a firefighter, I know that I will have many opportunities to test for more challenging roles such as paramedic, engineer, lieutenant or captain.
    I like working with my hands. I know the fire service uses a myriad of specialized power, hydraulic and hand tools.
    I know the community will always need firefighters. It is comforting to know that firefighters rarely get laid off.
    I like the benefits package offered by the fire department. I currently have to pay for healthcare benefits out of my own pocket. I know that healthcare and retirement benefits are part of the fire departmentís employment benefits package.
    The fire department pays good salaries, which will help me provide for my family.
    The fire departmentís flexible schedule would allow me to continue my education and also frees up more time for family activities such as coaching my daughterís soccer team.
    I like fighting fire. It is exciting and challenging to arrive on scene and perform hose lays, throw ladders, and rescue people. What a great sense of accomplishment that would be.
    Since I am interested in medical calls, I would enjoy being an EMT. If the opportunity ever came up, I would like to consider being a paramedic.

Reasoning:
    It always amazes me how unprepared candidates are for this basic question. Invariably, when faced with this question, they are usually stumped for an answer. This is the easiest question of all since there is really no right or wrong answer. The panel is trying to determine what your motivation is for wanting to become a firefighter.
    Do you believe firefighters have a lot of free time and make good money? If this is your primary motivation, you are in for a rude awakening. If those are your first two answers you are unlikely to get a job in the fire service. If you do manage to get a job with that perception in mind, you will probably have difficulty during your initial training.
    These are just a few examples of why candidates want to become firefighters. I suggest you write the reasons that motivate YOU to become a firefighter. When asked the question in an interview, it is important that you not try to remember what you have written down, but rather speak from the heart. If you truly have thought about it, the answer will come naturally. It is discouraging to listen to someone try to figure out the answer to the question during the course of the interview. On the other hand, it is refreshing to listen to a candidate who has given a great deal of thought as to why he or she wants to be a firefighter. Also, try to avoid using ďcannedĒ (rehearsed) answers. As a rater, it is discouraging to hear a candidate try to repeat what someone has instructed him or her to say. It is important to speak from the heart, rather than try to parrot some catchy phrase that you learned in an interview class.
    Raters usually volunteer to be on the oral boards. As a general rule, most firefighters really enjoy their job. A candidate who demonstrates enthusiasm for the fire service will most likely strike a chord with the raters. If the raters love their job, you can bet they will be looking for firefighters who will also appreciate the job.
    Remember, evaluators want to give you a good score. It is up to you to give them a reason to do so.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryangrebe View Post
    -Help people, exciting, rewarding, blah blah.....are they looking for something else here??

Any other general advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Posting questions and answers on a bulletin board can cause you problems because they can be quickly copied and cloned by a lot of candidates. Then they can loose their value when someone uses them before you walk into your interview.

Hereís how it can play out:

So itís your second day of 8 days of oral interviews as a panel member. Youíre hearing too many candidates with the same answers, sameness, identical answers often word for word. You wonder who really owns the information and experience. It can be mind numbing for panel members.

On your first question, Why do you want to be a firefighter?:

There was a time in your life growing up, during training or seeing an emergency scene when your mind went click. That's what I want to do. My life won't be the same until I get that badge. When was that? Thatís how you begin your answer to hook the oral board into listening to you. Then, you can married off the rest of your clone answers to complete your answer. To refine your answer practice it with a hand held recorder until it comes out of your mouth the way you want it to be heard by the panel members.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**

When they ask you about yourself they really could care less about how you grew up. This question gives you an opportunity to tell them about yourself now. They are hiring you now, not 20 years ago when you were a kid.

Would you disobey an order? Don't directly answer the question. Tell them many people may answer only for safety however if you felt there was an order that compromised safety you would bring it to the attention of the officer giving the order. I believe the order may have been given by the officer when he did not have all the information he needed. Once he was advised of this situation I know he would recind that order.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doo600 View Post
    When they ask you about yourself they really could care less about how you grew up. This question gives you an opportunity to tell them about yourself now. They are hiring you now, not 20 years ago when you were a kid.

Would you disobey an order? Don't directly answer the question. Tell them many people may answer only for safety however if you felt there was an order that compromised safety you would bring it to the attention of the officer giving the order. I believe the order may have been given by the officer when he did not have all the information he needed. Once he was advised of this situation I know he would recind that order.
    Hi everybody,

I uploaded one file. But It can not display. I used internet explorer 8.0.

How can I repair? Or some problems happened to IE8?

I think that I will post by link:Source: Panel interview questions
    Rgs
    Last edited by vegetablevn; 09-04-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Forum Member

When the Deputy Chief asked me many years back, why I wanted to be a fireman, I told him I had a wife and young child and I needed a job and that I would do my very best to be a good fireman!

You could say it is exciting, challenging, rewarding, that you like running into burning building and such, if you wish to say those things, only if you believe that.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I can honestly tell you that Chief Lepore's book, Smoke Your Firefighter Interview helped ma a great deal. He not only answers ALL you the questions that you listed, but a bunch more. The format is question answer and why he believes it's the right answer. His webiste is www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Are you unique or just along for the ride?

A candidate posted a question on a bulletin board asking the best way to approach the common scenario of being given an order on an emergency scene that puts my life, or others in jeopardy that may also go against standard operating procedures.

Someone posted an answer that looked like it came right out of one of the books out there with question and suggested answers. Turns out it was word for word from one of those books!

My reply: . . . . Too many will use these suggested answers word for word like someone posted here. If I picked this right up so can other panel members.

Panel members can often tell by the 2nd or third question where the candidate got their answers. A fire academy (where they practice using 3 X 5cards), college classes, medic school, a book or CD’s. It makes the candidate look and sound like a clone of too many others. We experience this talking to a lot of candidate’s.

So it’s your second day of 8 days of oral interviews as a panel member. You’re hearing too many candidates with the same answers, sameness, identical answers word for word complete with pauses from the CD’s. You wonder who really owns the information and experience. It can be mind numbing for panel members.

One medic candidate just told me after taking 11 tests and not getting hired that he felt this type of one size fits all format of using suggested answers was like reading a personal diary. He said the CD’s he purchased from a program was not the guy who wrote the material but a montone voice of someone reading the material. In just a few minutes of listening his mind would wonder, start looking out the window at the birds and lose interest. Three weeks ago he changed to being more personable, more of who he is and feels unique, fresh or spontaneous. His first interview since he switched he’s made it into the hiring process.

Here’s our son Captain Rob’s take:

Let me put it to you this way. If you read a book that gives you the answers, you are not going to sound like you. You will sound like the person that wrote the book. Not only that, but because you didn’t come up with the answer on your own, what if they ask you to explain you reasoning in doing what you did? You don’t know because it wasn’t your answer.

Another problem could be that if you are quoting answers from a book you read or a person who taught a class, others may be quoting it also. What if you are in the oral interview for you dream department, the one you have waited for your whole life, and after your second response they stop you. They tell you that it is funny but the three people before you have answered every question word for word the same as you, and they want to know if they are going to get to hear your answers or should they just give you the score they gave to others?

I would sure want to be giving my own original answers and not something someone else gave me as their answer. If you can find a way to come up with your own answers it will also help you if they ask questions that you have never heard before. Because you will have figured out how to come up with your own answers, not look up answers.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 08-30-2010 at 08:28 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob,
    Let's call it like it is. I will provide answers and the reasons why I recommend them. I have yet to hear what your answers would be.......

And for the record, I actually sit on the hiring panels. I can assure you that there is not much duplication of effort. The VAST majority of candidates are completely UNPREPARED.........

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I think that by far there is no debate that the biggest problem in entry level interviews is the lack of preparation. But with those people removed from the mix, and really they remove themselves. There are a lot of clone answers. You may have a lager pool of testers in So Cal, but most interviews have a large group that answers most everything the same. My engineer sat on our last panels and said it was comical and difficult not to smile when this same answer came from person after person.

I tested for captain about 8 years ago and was passed over in the first hiring. Not a big deal as I had little time on and the guy they skipped me for had more time acting as a captain that I had total. I went to one of the chiefís that was on the panel and asked how I could do better. I asked what the guys that came out at the top said? He said it didnít matter because those were their answers. He said one was a book smart guy that every answer sounded like it was right out of the book. The other guy was smart like a farmer, he had common sense basic answers that left no doubt that he knew the job and could handle things as they arouse. Both got 100%, and there was no similarities in any of their answers.

He said that different people have different minds and no two can share an answer. If you ask three people what 5X19 is, one may just know it is 95, his mind just knows stuff, the second may think 5X9 is 45 carry the four, add it to 50 and you have 95, the third may know that 5X20 is one hundred, take away 5 and you have 95. All three are right, but how you get there tells a little about who you are and how you mind works.

I have coached over 500 people and have never given anyone an answer, because they already have an answer, they just need to find it in themselves. If I told them my answer, or what I thought, it would cloud their ability to find their own.

I looked at my calendar from August of last year and I coached a guy that was a D.O.D. firefighter returning from overseas, a person working in home finance, a 19 yo kid parking cars at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas, a teacher, a guy going from a small department to a larger department, and a guy who had played basketball in the world basketball league for five years in five different countries. No two of them had the same answers, nor should they have. When asked why they wanted to be a firefighter, how they dealt with stress, what is the hardest thing they had had to do, customer service, all of their answers were totally different and totally right. All were employed by the first of the year.

There will be questions that have a right and wrong answer, like how many stations do we have, but for the most part there is a lot of subjective review that the people on an interview panel have to do. Two people could say the same thing in an interview and one could do well and the other fail, because one was telling his story and one was repeating what he was told. There is nothing more powerful than a personal story told by the person. Hollywood can make all of the big budget WWII movies they want but nothing caries the weight of the guy who was there talking over the original footage. Every one of you has original footage of something that is your story and there is no better answer that you can use than your answer. You donít need someone to tell you what they would say, because then you would just sound like them.

Good Luck Capt Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Rob,
    That was extremely well written....We do differ slightly though. I do believe there are right and wrong answers for nearly every question. For example I DO NOT want to hear a stroy of why you decided to become a firefighter. i interview 12-15 candidates a day. I do not want to hear 15 life altering experiences of how someone was walking down the street, saw a traffic accident and witnessed first hand the firefighters in action and knew this was their calling.
    I do not want to hear that their great grandfather was a firefighter, their father and so on....
    I want to hear why THEY want to become a firefighter. Like Dan Akroyd says in the movie Dragnet - Just the facts.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I canít tell you the number of times I have heard that someone wants to be a firefighter because they saw Santa on a fire engine, toured a station as a boy scout, had a family member that was a firefighter, was the chief, or saw a fire in their neighborhood when they were little. I even had one guy say he used to start fires as a kid and met the fire service through the juvenile fire starters program if you can believe that.

And I totally agree with not using a one time story. One time I saw a fire, an accident; they came to my house and helped a sick person, etc. Because if that one time event make you want to be a firefighter, what happens if you have another event after we hire you and now you want to be a pilot, astronaut, or lion tamer.

I think what works better is talking about where you have been, what you have learned about yourself, what you like and dislike. What you are good at, not good at. What sparked your interest in the fire service, and if you have training, or experience in the field or related fields, what you learned about yourself in that process. Not only the things that got you here, but what have you done to re-enforce them.

I have talked to a number of people who have story envy. They have had a class, been to a group mock interview or somehow gotten it into their mind that they need that impressive story to get the job. I tell them, much as you said, that we really donít care about the story, we care about if you have a working knowledge of the job and are you sure you want to do this, not just a whim that may pass.

I never had the impressive story. I would tell the panel that to stay in my parentsí home I had to be in school. I started into computers, knew I was going to love computers. Two weeks into J.R. college I still didnít know what I wanted to do, but I knew I didnít want to work in computers. I had never been interested in the fire service or EMS, but since I had to do something I took an EMT class and fell in love with ambulance work. I them enrolled in a fire academy, was good at it and loved it. I worked for two different departments as a volunteer and ambulance full time and somewhere along the way it went from what I did to who I was. My problem was I didnít know where I would retire from. CCCFPD solved that problem for me.

I got to the top of a number of lists and never had an exciting story, just my story.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

We are in complete agreement.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Posting up

Forum Member

Hi everyone!
    I am a new member of the board. I saw this topic I have many things and people have to learn. I think people can share documents related to this subject.
    Sincerely!
    Patric

Forum Member

Default Old news

This thread is a few years old and I guess "It's like manure on a wagon wheel.....it comes around every so often." as a Chief once said.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    This thread is a few years old and I guess "It's like manure on a wagon wheel.....it comes around every so often." as a Chief once said.
    Thanks!

I found some references on this subject, please refer to everyone here: Group interview questions
    Best regards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    When the Deputy Chief asked me many years back, why I wanted to be a fireman, I told him I had a wife and young child and I needed a job and that I would do my very best to be a good fireman!

You could say it is exciting, challenging, rewarding, that you like running into burning building and such, if you wish to say those things, only if you believe that.
    You got my attention with that. The family is #1 and the reason for the job is to take care of #1. You can only try to be the best you can be.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: Firefighter interview questions and answers

Goodluck.

Forum Member

Thanks for your link. It's useful for our community.

Same material can be found at: Safety engineer interview questions

I hope it's useful for you and you like it. Please continue sharing more information at this topic.

Best rgs!

Thread Information